Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

one1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
I have a white iPhone conversion and like many the prox is screwed. I did the usual google and youtube searches for the ten or so kludge fixes that are useless (black sharpie marker, remove reflective cover over sensor, remove white "grid" on phone over sensor, etc.......).

All the stupid kludge fixes that don't work and cause you to waste a week and for some tear their phone up.

Since my O'scope and base DMM are not officially calibrated I cannot give you measurements on what lumens you should be seeing, if I did they would be wrong. I just wanted to explain the issue, the REAL issue with the prox so you could perhaps get it fixed through trial and error.

The issue is reflectivity back to the sensor. The sensor see's the light, then see's the reflection off the back of the white faceplate. It's getting two signals. You have to slow the second wave down or it will confuse the sensor.

The proper way to do so is to distort the light. If you distort it, it cannot hit the sensor head on and confuse it when reflecting. I prefer using fine fiber to line the sensor face. trial and error for you until you find sweet spot since you will be doing it without measuring for lumens.

Once you have the proper amount of fiber the sensor will being working as it should. You are using the round fiber strands to distort the light, not to block it so just trying to stick anything in front of the sensor is defeating the purpose.

Good luck! This is the actual proper fix for the issue as the kudge fix's only mask the light reflectivity issue and results vary in different lighting conditions. Distorting it is the be all end all fix as it should be. :)

Indoor Night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T28eWkhkU88
Outdoor Day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQu0LIis_Zg

Edit:

To add, the fix came oddly enough from my experience with digital logic gates. Everyone who has worked with gates (nor, NAND, and, or, xnor, etc....) knows that to use them you have to build a multivibrator circuit with a debouncing switch or the circuit will ring and confuse the gate. I figured the sensor was the gate and the reflections were my ringing so I went on that suspicion and BAM.....

Last edited:

war eagle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Or you can use screen lock and have it automatically lock the screen when you accept a call.

Sent from my iPhone

hippopothomas

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2011
What material?

hey one1: what material would suffice as "round fiber strands"? like pieces of thread? does the color matter?

Thanks

the.sheepdog

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2009
Central FL
Ok, Im sure I'm gonna get smacked for saying this but why should I really care about wether the sensor darkens the screen when the phone is up to my ear?

I don't know wether mine works or not actually, but don't think it is a big deal either way.

SidewaysTakumi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Because it doesn't just darken the screen, it turns off the touch sensitivity. If it stays on, you are likely to hang up, mute or put on speaker the call accidentally with your face.

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
Ok, Im sure I'm gonna get smacked for saying this but why should I really care about wether the sensor darkens the screen when the phone is up to my ear?

I don't know wether mine works or not actually, but don't think it is a big deal either way.

yours obviously works fine, because if it did not you would not have said such a thing.

It is about turning the touch portion of the screen off when it is up to your face. if it is not off you will be dialing numbers, and hanging up on people while on a call. extremely annoying for your face to be dialing a bunch of numbers while you are trying to conduct business on your phone. it is a serious problem if your does not work.

the.sheepdog

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2009
Central FL
ah so. I understand more now. I guess mine does work or I might have noticed. If this is a bad sensor then why wouldn't apple just replace it? or the phone?

SidewaysTakumi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Because a lot of the people that have the problem are using white iPhone conversion kits. As such, Apple won't deal with the phone.

hippopothomas

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2011
so...

so any answer to the question of what types of "round fiber" to use when covering the proximity sensor?

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
I know absolutely nothing about engineering nor do I have any idea what you were talking about in your post. :( What exactly would I have to do to fix the proximity sensor?

cardinalryan

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
This.
I know absolutely nothing about engineering nor do I have any idea what you were talking about in your post. :( What exactly would I have to do to fix the proximity sensor?
Wow! Some people spend way too much time on this stuff. I have a white iPhone and never have had an issue with the proximity sensor. I'm convinced that people dream up problems with their phones. I'm serious...I'm not saying that they don't truly believe there is something wrong because it's clear that they do, but people list problems on this forum that no one I've encountered, who owns an iPhone, has ever experienced in day to day use.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
My proximity sensor has been a problem on all three of my iphone 4s (had to swap out the first two for various reasons) and it's always frustrated me that I had to use an app (first CallGuard from the app store and now CallLock from Cydia) to fix something that should have worked out of the box. If you don't have an issue with your proximity sensor, consider yourself lucky. It's not an imagined problem and it's annoying as all h3ll.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
This.

Wow! Some people spend way too much time on this stuff. I have a white iPhone and never have had an issue with the proximity sensor. I'm convinced that people dream up problems with their phones. I'm serious...I'm not saying that they don't truly believe there is something wrong because it's clear that they do, but people list problems on this forum that no one I've encountered, who owns an iPhone, has ever experienced in day to day use.

This is strictly for conversions I believe.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
And this is why I'm glad I have a real one. >.< Truly sorry you guys have to go through such hoops.

I have a real one too and my sensor is still jacked. If I have a clear screen protector on it absolutely refuses to work.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
I have a real one too and my sensor is still jacked. If I have a clear screen protector on it absolutely refuses to work.

Take off the screen protector or cut it so that it only covers the actual lcd square portion and not the whole face.

one1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
hey one1: what material would suffice as "round fiber strands"? like pieces of thread? does the color matter?

Thanks

There are a million forms of fiber, choose your poison. Stay dark to avoid glowing (radiant). A fiber similar to a fine horse hair is good as well. Perhaps you can use a weave. The goal is the same.

Originally Posted by cardinalryan

Man I would love to see the color of the sky where you reside. :D

Conversions are where this issue lies, but there have been plenty of stock phones with this issue as well and therefore anyone can benefit. It's works properly and is not a kludge fix since it goes directly where Apple seems to have been fighting for a year to get it fixed. It's something I could clearly charge to do and yet want to give to people to try and get their phones fixed. Hope it helps, folks!

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
Take off the screen protector or cut it so that it only covers the actual lcd square portion and not the whole face.

Yeah... kind of stinks though because you'll be able to see the dirt build up over the white.

cardinalryan

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
I would like to apologize to everyone who commented in this thread. I was wrong. I put a PS crystal screen protector on the front of my white iPhone and all of the sudden, my proximity sensor would not work.

Took it off and bingo, it was back in service. Again, my apologies for claiming this was a non-issue. I'm just happy that the screen protector was the culprit and not the iPhone itself.

amandagreen

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2013
iPhone Sensor Problem Solution

Here are two solutions to fix the iPhone proximity sensor problems that have been reported:
Reset your Network Settings:
* Tap on the Settings icon
* Tap General then tap on Reset
* Tap on “Reset Network Settings”

Try making a few phone calls and holding the iPhone up to your ear, if the proximity sensor is still behaving strangely, try the following:

Reset All Settings on the iPhone:
* Tap on Settings
* Tap General
* Tap Reset
* Tap “Reset All Settings”

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
Here are two solutions to fix the iPhone proximity sensor problems that have been reported:
Reset your Network Settings:
* Tap on the Settings icon
* Tap General then tap on Reset
* Tap on “Reset Network Settings”

Try making a few phone calls and holding the iPhone up to your ear, if the proximity sensor is still behaving strangely, try the following:

Reset All Settings on the iPhone:
* Tap on Settings
* Tap General
* Tap Reset
* Tap “Reset All Settings”

Sigh.......... Thank you for your contribution. Please check the date of the thread next time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.