Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During Eric Schmidt's interview at AllThingsD 9, he revealed that Google had just renewed their Map and Search agreements with Apple. Quote per Engadget:
"We just renewed our Map and Search agreements with Apple, and we hope those continue for a long time."
This confirms rumors that Apple would be continuing to use Google Map data in iOS 5. There had been a number of Apple acquisitions and hirings that have suggested that Apple is actively working in this area. The news also suggests that Google's search remains the default choice rather than Microsoft's Bing which was said to be under consideration at one point.

Article Link: Apple "Just" Renewed Maps and Search Partnership with Google

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I guess all the fanboys will be saying this is great now but two days ago they said Apple should use their own maps and Google Maps sucked.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
Unless Apple makes their Maps app like a stand alone GPS unit, I don't see the point of Apple making the maps in-house.

+1 for Google Maps. IMO.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

AppleScruff1 said:
I guess all the fanboys will be saying this is great now but two days ago they said Apple should use their own maps and Google Maps sucked.

I still think they should. The more self-reliant and in-house they become, the better. And they're moving in that direction.

That said, Google Maps is a very decent product.

leon44

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I'm glad.
Most people would never dream of searching with anything but Google and to do better than Google Maps would be one hell of an ask of Apple.

I'd love it if there could be a locally stored vector-based map of my country or something, so if I don't have signal I can still see exactly where I am and work out how to get home. Waiting for maps to load around my blue dot is frustrating especially when I know they've all been loaded before.

SilianRail

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why do we have the half ass version unchanged since 2007? Turn by turn with traffic please.

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2007
So I take it that would make the possibility of iPhone users getting the Google Maps Navigation is out of the question if they JUST renewed it?

:(

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
That's fine, I don't have a problem with using Google Maps for map data. In fact, I trust it the most. However, I'd love turn - by - turn directions. Android has this feature on the default Google Maps app. I'd love to see it on iOS.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I still think they should. The more self-reliant and in-house they become, the better. And they're moving in that direction.

That's what China thought too when they built the Great Wall. And look where that got them.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010

what are you doing on the forum worrying about what apple fanboys are saying?

it comes down to whatever is free for the customer and provides better service.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
That's what China thought too when they built the Great Wall. And look where that got them.

They became the world's factory, including the manufacturer of iPhones and iPods, and a major economic powerhouse?

And what does keeping Mongolians out have to do with anything?

Last edited:

milliepuppy

macrumors member
May 23, 2010
.. and they eneded up with an iconic and enduring tourist attraction that drives how much $$$ per year ? ... !!! ;)

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
They became the world's factory, including the manufacturer of iPhones and iPods, and a major economic powerhouse?

Actually it's not really for Mongolians. The very old Great Wall which was built in Qin dynasty back in 2XXB.C. is not the one we can see today. The modern Great Wall was built in Ming Dynasty from 13th to 17th centuries, which is after the defeat of the Mongolians.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011

Who's worried? The hypocrisy amuses me.

And how many hundreds of years did it take to catch up to the rest of the world after the self imposed isolation?

vvswarup

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Add in that Turn-by-Turn Google has on Android (that I miss a LOT from my Droid) and I'll dump the TomTom app for sure.
If you have the TomTom app, then why do you care if Apple has turn-by-turn natively or not? Is Turn-by-Turn on Google Maps for Android better than TomTom?

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
At this point Apple ought to know Google is "enemy."

No reason why to integrate Google's search ad primary search, or google's maps as the primary Map program, except keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada

AppleScruff1 said:

Who's worried? The hypocrisy amuses me.

And how many hundreds of years did it take to catch up to the rest of the world after the self imposed isolation?

Horrible comparison. Yikes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.