Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple_icloud_trademark.jpg

Unsurprisingly, Patently Apple notes that Apple has filed for a trademark on the term "iCloud" in Europe, staking out its territory as it prepares to introduce its new cloud-based service next Monday at its Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC).
Apple has filed their trademark under 12 distinct International Classes covering such matters as delivering digital music by telecommunications, electronic storage, online social networking services, multimedia content for a fee or pre-paid subscription, computer software, electronic books and magazines, entertainment, photographic services, business management and advertising services, games, headgear and digital devices/computers.
In its application, Apple cites an application filed in Jamaica on December 7, 2010 for its priority date of registration.

iCloud trademarks are currently registered in the United States and Europe to Xcerion, the company behind the earlier iCloud service that recently rebranded itself as CloudMe after Apple reportedly purchased the domain and perhaps other rights to the iCloud name.

A new trademark application for iCloud also appeared in the United States last month, but the application appears to be unconnected to Apple itself and instead having been registered by Dane Baker of iOS development firm Villain, perhaps either as an attempt at squatting on the term given rumors of Apple's plans for a service by that name or simply to try to elicit a response from Apple confirming its interest in the name.

Article Link: Apple Files for 'iCloud' Trademark in Europe

huperniketes

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
(0, 0, 0)
With iApp developers like this, who needs, uh, enemies?

That's one way to endear yourself to the mothership: give corporate attorneys more to do to work around…or over you.

GorgonPhone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
all this FTP branding is sooo lame to me... and no i will not keep all me content on some random FTP site..

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Kapangas said:
I don't need iCloud, I use Grooveshark :)
What I DO need is a revamped notification system in iOS, please!

+1.

Please get this up to par. New things are great, but still put some polish on the things you already have in existence!!

trunten

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2007
Mental note, buy every domain name that starts with "i"...

+1

iJumpedOnTheBandwagon and iCashedIn for a start ;)

p.s.
iCloud is an awful name. I hate 'i' stuff but iDisc was better.

pps

Macloud! :D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.