Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ipad_2_hand.jpg

Business Insider reports on a new research note from Goldman Sachs analyst Bill Shope covering a recent meeting between Shope and Apple executives Tim Cook, Ron Johnson, and Peter Oppenheimer. According to Shope, the executives expressed considerable optimism regarding the future of iOS, particularly when it comes to the iPad. In fact, Apple Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook reportedly noted that the company expects tablet sales to surpass PC sales over the next several years.
Shope says, "the company appeared more overtly optimistic on the long-term prospects for the iOS platform than it has been in quite some time."

Why?

For one, Cook said, "he sees no reason why the tablet market shouldn't eclipse the PC market over the next several years," according to Shope's note.
Apple's iPad of course currently dominates that tablet market, and while its share will almost certainly shrink as more competitors come to market, most observers expect Apple to continue to lead the market for years to come.

According to a separate article relating information from the note, Shope reports that Apple is once again touting its preference for an "integrated" ecosystem for iOS over the "fragmented" one it sees for Google's Android platform. Apple's executives reportedly suggest that while the Android approach may yield market share gains over the short term, but the the fragmentation will ultimately weaken the platform and degrade the user experience.

To that end, Apple argues that the true measure of a platform's value should be measured by how well it supports the entire ecosystem surrounding it, and with the company having paid out over $2 billion to App Store developers so far, it believes that it offers the most successful and sustainable model among mobile platforms.

Article Link: Apple Executives Optimistic About Future of iOS, Expect Tablet Market to Surpass PCs

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
The iPad or any tablet for that matter will never replace my laptop. Typing for an extended time on a touchscreen is just not practical.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Funny how the measure of the platform changes once Android starts shipping tons of units.

That being said, I do tend to agree with that statement. Android is blowing up big right now and things will even out soon enough. I think (and hope) that iOS 5 will blow our minds.

iOS and Mac OS will converge as one in 5-7 years. Take that to the bank!

myamid

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2004
Montreal, QC
Will tablets replace a significant part of the Consumer Laptop market? Very likely! Will it replace a significant part of the consumer Desktop market? Not as likely? Enterprise space? Quite unlikely...

Will an integrated solution keep dominating? History tends to prove that "integrated" solutions tend to end up being niche products. The exception being when all the competition is just as integrated (ie: game consoles). The iPad will eventually end up having 20-30% of the market, just like the iPhone. Great place for apple to be (20% of the market with just 1 product), as a shareholder I'd love that, but it will end up being 2nd to Android, or maybe 3rd if windows becomes a legit tablet OS (thus facilitating the replacement of PCs)

BLACKFRIDAY

macrumors regular
May 23, 2011
Funny how the measure of the platform changes once Android starts shipping tons of units.

That being said, I do tend to agree with that statement. Android is blowing up big right now and things will even out soon enough. I think (and hope) that iOS 5 will blow our minds.

huh?

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
The iPad or any tablet for that matter will never replace my laptop. Typing for an extended time on a touchscreen is just not practical.

Hence the reason for the iPad Keyboard Dock :D or you can use a Bluetooth Keyboard with it.

I love my iPad just cos its more portable than a laptop and it was awesome at a wedding I went to recently, which I shot the photos for my cousin. I was able to show him & the guests all the snaps like 5 mins after i'd took them on my iPad

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011

iOS and Mac OS will converge as one in 5-7 years. Take that to the bank!

I hope there are no iOS5 compatibly issues with the iPhone 4. Upgrading the 3G to iOS4 was not a pleasant experience.

nicholashe

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia.
This reminds me of Gruber's old DF post that he recently quoted (link below). The gist is that the iOS devices will only be replacements for Macs when they can do the same high level complicated tasks. Right now, they can't – but they get away with it because the Mac exists and lets this happen. It's not a weakness of iOS devices, but just the reality of the technology at the moment.

http://www.macworld.com/article/156153/2010/12/macofthefuturegruber.html

theelysium

Suspended
Nov 18, 2008

I agree for me personally (or until they beef them up) tablets will not replace my computer, but my iPad2 does a great job of replacing my computer on the go. If I need to do some serious work though, it's back to my computer.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I'm looking forward to the day they integrate all these technologies into a notebook that has no physical keyboard, but a multitouch control surface in place of it instead. It's a keyboard when you want a keyboard, and a configurable command tablet & hands-on display for any program you might be running, photoshop, cad, game controls etc...

Bonus, would be opening the laptop, having ios pop up to greet you, and either tap to enter ios where your apps can instantly reference the data on the same system ssd drive OS X accesses, or tap OS X to boot the main system and do heavier work.

No other mfg could compete with a system like that. ...for a while.

Is it a tablet? Is it a notebook? yes and yes. Not to say they won't go on making traditional tablets or & notebooks, but it seems like an inevitability with the directions they're going in.

Last edited:

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I agree for me personally (or until they beef them up) tablets will not replace my computer, but my iPad2 does a great job of replacing my computer on the go. If I need to do some serious work though, it's back to my computer.

I think that's the direction we're moving in. You'll have a powerful PC (laptop or desktop) at home and at your desk at work. For everywhere else, you'll have your smartphone or tablet.

I've been settling into a routine where my iPad is in the bedroom so I can watch a video on Netflix or surf Facebook one last time before bed. My laptop downstairs is where I do the "real" work. The iPhone is for when I'm on the go.

Instead of buying a second or third PC for the home, I can easily picture people buying tablets instead.

myamid

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2004
Montreal, QC
I think that's the direction we're moving in. You'll have a powerful PC (laptop or desktop) at home and at your desk at work. For everywhere else, you'll have your smartphone or tablet.

I've been settling into a routine where my iPad is in the bedroom so I can watch a video on Netflix or surf Facebook one last time before bed. My laptop downstairs is where I do the "real" work. The iPhone is for when I'm on the go.

Instead of buying a second or third PC for the home, I can easily picture people buying tablets instead.

:) and here I thought the most common usage for tablets was toilet computing... No, for that use, it beats the crap out of a laptop hands down!! (pun intended)

leroypants

Suspended
Jul 17, 2010
Hence the reason for the iPad Keyboard Dock :D or you can use a Bluetooth Keyboard with it.

Yeah, why carry a lap top, when you can carry an ipad, a keyboard dock and a card reading attachment.

I love my iPad just cos its more portable than a laptop and it was awesome at a wedding I went to recently, which I shot the photos for my cousin. I was able to show him & the guests all the snaps like 5 mins after i'd took them on my iPad

I know the feeling, it is completely impossible to do that with a laptop.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009

The iPad with the right case with an integrated bluetooth keyboard just might solve that issue for many people. I can actually do quite well on the touch screen keyboards (which quite frankly surprised me -- just took me an hour or two to get used to it when I first got an iPad last year). That said it is still not the best keyboard experience (far from it). The best best keyboard experience out there is still the old IBM Model M keyboards -- even today's modern keyboards are less than optimal for really prolonged typing (like writing a book).

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
For tablets to surpass PCs would that mean that they'll have a way where someone can buy an iPad and not have to sync it to a desktop? Perhaps all through iCloud?

Or maybe they are talking about revenue and not units sold, where you might buy a PC every 5 years and an ipad every 2.

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007

I'm the same, a tablet cannot replace the tasks I perform on my laptop and hardware keyboards are easier to use. They just plain are.

All I would ever be interested in is a hybrid where the laptop screen can be detached. But never JUST a tablet. It's not happening for me, sorry.

Don't vote me down just because it's fine for you.

MisterK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think this is a given. You can imagine solutions for any of the current problems. Imagine a tablet switching from iOS to Mac OS when it senses Blutooth mouse movement. Faster processors; a mixture of higher capacity drives and cloud storage; lighter carbon fibre bodies; nicer docking; 2nd monitor extension through AirPlay... Maybe this is finally the delivery of the mythical thin client.

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
I know the feeling, it is completely impossible to do that with a laptop.

I didn't mean it like that. I dont use the keyboard dock, just the ipad the Apple case and the iPad USB Camera kit, it is more portable than my laptop and I really dont wanna get my MBP Scuffed up for the sake of showing a few people photos. obviously its also much quicker to switch on, setup and easier to walk around with.

Thats what I use my iPad for photography. I think it really does bring back the fun of photo editing with all the touch input etc it makes it feel more interactive just like the good old days of developing and stuff, don't get me wrong I love Aperture, but for quick on the move edits an iPad is perfect for myself.

ciTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2011
Portugal (Porto)
Tablets will never replace laptops... But Laptops will never replace tablets either... They are completely different things... And Most people would actually just need a tablet...

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
I think tablets are great, fun, useful devices. I mean, I love my iPad, but to me, it will never replace my computer. It replaces it in some ways, like casual internet browsing, but if I'm going to do some hardcore word processing or video editing, I'm going to want my laptop there.

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
I think tablets are great, fun, useful devices. I mean, I love my iPad, but to me, it will never replace my computer. It replaces it in some ways, like casual internet browsing, but if I'm going to do some hardcore word processing or video editing, I'm going to want my laptop there.

This is just it. Tablets should be seen as a complement to laptops and desktops NOT a replacement. Just like laptops didn't replace desktops, tablets simply wont replace laptops. There's room in our lives for all three.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.