Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seattle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
I want to remove the GPS data from some of my iPhone pictures. Is there an easy way to do this?

Flhusky

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Florida
yes, 2 easy ways..
1. Don't enable the locate me feature.
2. get a exif? editor (photo metadata editor)

Mac.Enthusiast

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2011
seattle,
Personally, I prefer to erase GPS info from iPhone photos, on my Windows machine, with the help of this EXIF remover. The nice thing that it allows to get rid of other sensitive information, such as date&time of taking a photo, iPhone model, etc.

Converting the files from jpeg to png will also strip the EXIF data.
Converting is not a good idea since not every website supports the PNG format.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
seattle,
Personally, I prefer to erase GPS info from iPhone photos, on my Windows machine, with the help of this EXIF remover. The nice thing that it allows to get rid of other sensitive information, such as date&time of taking a photo, iPhone model, etc.

Converting is not a good idea since not every website supports the PNG format.

Convert it back to jpeg after? :D

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
The nice thing that it allows to get rid of other sensitive information, such as date&time of taking a photo, iPhone model, etc.

Ok, I understand the OP's concern over the location data.

But I'm really curious how "iPhone model" is considered "sensitive information."

What on earth is someone supposed to do with that information that can harm you?

May be a dumb question, but why would you folks want to remove this info?

I understand it for photos taken at home. If I have 100 photos of my daughter online and they all show where I live...well that might not be good.

But I do think some people are a little over-paranoid about it when they want to erase ALL the GPS info from their library. For example, I'm perfectly happy to have my Disney World photos tagged because, duh, it's not like it's a secret where Disney World is.

So for the most part I like GPS data but I can understand how it's a touchy subject when it's your house listed in there.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
A really thorough way to do it would be to put the pictures on your computer then take a screenshot of the photo or like someone else said save it as another format like PNG and that should do it but check to be sure.

I know of some specific times this service wasn't so cool. Think of the whole "sexting" phenomenon, guy shows it to a bunch of his friends, one of them posts it online and some "forum detective" trying to rat the guy out finds the info on the picture. Sometimes its just best to not have as much personal info on the internet :rolleyes:

deaconous

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011
Easiest way i've found to remove GPS data from iPhone photos

try using an app called Pixelgarde Photo Privacy Editor, which is free. It will remove gps, and other data, from photos on your iphone. They've also got apps for Android, PC, Mac... Hope this helps. http://www.pixelgarde.com

Cool Javelin

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
But I'm really curious how "iPhone model" is considered "sensitive information."

What on earth is someone supposed to do with that information that can harm you?

I hear this argument all the time. "If I'm not going anything wrong, what does it matter if big brother is watching?"

The next step is to take the number spoken about in revelations. I guess 99% of you will do just that.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I don't like not being able to remove this data solely because I don't want pins stuck all over "Places" while I've just been toying around with the camera. You should be able to remove all of these, but you can't. I don't mind there being geo location stuff tied to the pics, just want Places cleaned up in the photo album.

rdh1

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2012
How to delete GPS coords in iPhoto

If you can use Applescript the following will unset GPS coords. Let's suppose iPhoto is open, that your photo is in an album called "Album1" and the photo whose GPS coords you want to unset is the 4th in the album.

tell application "iPhoto"
set the_album to album "Album1"
set the_photo to photo 4 of the_album
delete the latitude of the_photo
delete the longitude of the_photo
set the altitude of the_photo to 1.797693E+308
end tell

Yes, that altitude value looks crazy but that does seem to be how Apple intend it to be! 1.797693E+308 is (according to the Applescript manual) the largest real value that can be evaluated, so it's not quite as crazy as it looks. You can also "delete the altitude of the_photo" but that sets the altitude to zero, which isn't what you might want.

Hope this helps.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
I can't understand why Apple doesn't have an option in settings to disable GPS stamping for photos taken at your home. They have the ability to do GPS fencing so it should be cake. What possible reason would they have for not giving the user this option ... oh wait ... it's Apple! :confused:

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
May be a dumb question, but why would you folks want to remove this info?

some people are paranoid.

quite frankly i love the mapping ability of all my pics. its nice to remember where you took a photo, especially for avid travelers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.