Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LWP777

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
I upgraded to the 4 from the 3Gs a couple of months ago and I've noticed that everything seems to be slower on the iPhone 4. For example:

1. When I answer a call, it takes a lot longer to open up the screen that will allow me to click "speaker."

2. When I switch between things like email and texts it is really slow to open that screen.

3. I've seen some lag while inputting text for emails and text messages.

The phone is not jailbroken and it's a 16G. I only have 3G available memory left. Could that be the issue?

Any ideas?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Might be because you used/transfered your 3GS backup onto your new iphone 4.
I'd restore and setup as new phone. You should notice a big improvement.
Also its good to restart the phone once in a while.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Double click on your Home Button and clear your Multitask tray, I'm not saying that this will fix your problem, but its a start.

img0439f.png
img0440.png
img0441.png

LWP777

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
Might be because you used/transfered your 3GS backup onto your new iphone 4.
I'd restore and setup as new phone. You should notice a big improvement.

Yes, I think I did do that. How do I do this but get my contacts, emails, and apps the way I want them?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Yes, I think I did do that. How do I do this but get my contacts, emails, and apps the way I want them?

You can sync your contacts to your computer and then copy them back using itunes. Same thing with your apps, they're all there on your library.
Your emails, texts and any game progress will be gone though.
Up to you.

LWP777

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
You can sync your contacts to your computer and then copy them back using itunes. Same thing with your apps, they're all there on your library.
Your emails, texts and any game progress will be gone though.
Up to you.

So if I do this what exactly am I getting rid of? Is it just all the old junk that came over from the 3Gs? I'm confused.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
So if I do this what exactly am I getting rid of? Is it just all the old junk that came over from the 3Gs? I'm confused.

Yes, you're setting it up as a new phone.
All the stuff and configuration from your 3GS wont transfer over to the new iphone 4 and bugs and issues that could copy from old backups will be eliminated.
Give it a try, your backup is still there so you if you feel the need to restore from backup at a later time you have the option.
But I personally like to setup as new phone even after firmware updates.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
just make sure you go through and sync the phone with Outlook or a similar program to save all your contacts, notes, etc. You have to click those options in the Info section of iTunes. Also save your pictures.

If you do it all right, you wonlt lose much. As mentioned, just your text messages and user data. Meaning High scores on angry birds will be gone, stuff like that.

LWP777

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
just make sure you go through and sync the phone with Outlook or a similar program to save all your contacts, notes, etc. You have to click those options in the Info section of iTunes. Also save your pictures.

If you do it all right, you wonlt lose much. As mentioned, just your text messages and user data. Meaning High scores on angry birds will be gone, stuff like that.

Well I have Mobile Me so all my contacts, bookmarks, etc. should be easy to get back on the phone after I restore.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
it's to get you to upgrade to iPhone 5, jk :p

But if you have everything backed up, and don't mind going through all your games again, then go for it! Your iPhone 4 should run perfectly smooth!

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Upgraded from 3GS last summer. iPhone 4 is faster in every way.

1. sync to backup
2. restore latest firmware
3. test
4. sync to restore
5. test

LWP777

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
Done! Things are running WAY faster and I now have 9 GB free. Thanks so much for the help guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.