Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

time_capsule_backup.jpg

Earlier this week, we noted that a number of Apple's retail stores have run dry of stocks of Time Capsules, AirPort Extremes, and in some cases AirPort Expresses, leading to speculation that a refresh could come at next week's Worldwide Developers Conference. Reports quickly arose claiming that Apple has been known to have at least internally tested new Time Capsules capable of caching software updates for Macs and iOS devices, delivering them quickly to the machines for updating.

In a separate report, Ars Technica briefly notes that it has received word that the new Time Capsule may actually follow the pattern of the Apple TV, taking on an A4 or A5 processor from Apple and running iOS to manage the more advanced functions that could appear in the device.
Our own source tells Ars that the revised hardware is believed to be built around Apple's own A4 or A5 processor, and will run iOS much like the most recent Apple TV model.
Harnessing the power of iOS directly within the Time Capsule device, even if on a scaled-down basis as in the Apple TV, naturally opens the door to further speculation of how Apple could tie together iCloud services with local storage on users' own networks, whether it be caching some iCloud content to the Time Capsule for faster access when on the local network or even pushing some of the Time Machine functions included on the current Time Capsule out to iCloud itself.

Separately, we've heard an unconfirmed tip that iOS 5 may finally be bringing wireless syncing to iOS devices, including the intriguing claim that the wireless syncing could be performed directly with the new Time Capsules, bypassing the need to sync with a specific computer.

Article Link: New Time Capsules to Run iOS on A4/A5 Processors?

stefmesman

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Netherlands
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Cant wait for this :)

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Great. Now we have time capsule rumors! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, next week will be quite interesting.

strwrsfrk

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2011
Arlington, VA, USA
Awesome

If the Time Capsules run iOS, there will be so much potential for media streaming. Especially once the jailbreak community gets a hold of it. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this is implemented.

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Awesome! Now not only do I get to drop $25-$129 on Lion and $25 on iCloud, but I also get to drop $600 for two new Time Capsules. This is turning into an expensive WWDC for me.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/24.871; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

HelveticaNeue said:
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Awesome! Now not only do I get to drop $25-$129 on Lion and $25 on iCloud, but I also get to drop $600 for two new Time Capsules. This is turning into an expensive WWDC for me.

I know, right! :D

I love this time of year. ;)

BrianMojo

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
Boston, MA
This is great news! This line was due for something new. Exciting to hear how Apple keeps making inroads to the living room.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
probably not but they might up the storage, to 2TB and 3TB :)

I'd like to see the reverse. Give them the complete AppleTV treatment. Tiny $99 black boxes, no onboard storage. Put a bunch of USB ports on the back, all compatible with external hard drives or printers. Kill the Airport Extreme (or Time Capsule, depending on which name Apple wishes to keep.)

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
Seems clunky. Require a $200 piece of hardware to enable WiFi sync on iOS devices?

virus7

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2005
Denver, CO
I'd prefer if they offered a mirrored raid option for more data security.

if the TC is going to iOS, then i'd be pretty sure the AE would got the same route (unless for some reason they are getting rid of the AE in favor of the TC).

However I think it makes more sense to just purchase an AE and attach storage, that way you can get your RAID config if you so desire.

Nero3000

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2008
This is exciting.

If it is anywhere near half as powerful (software wise) as Windows Home Server apple will truly be making the home space more interesting.

synagence

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Makes sense to get as much use out of A5 as possible. Return on investment. Unification of kernels too makes development simpler

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
This is interesting, but... maybe not.

What I Hope: Apple is using A4/5 + IOS because it provides a powerful, flexible, extensible environment. The new TC is an extensible media server that can handle 3rd-party services, protocols and content.

What I Expect: Apple is only using A4/5 processor + IOS because it's convenient. The new TC has some really nice but limited media serving capabilities and is not extensible.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Server-Grade HD

Maybe they'll match the product to their marketing this time around and REALLY put a server-grade hard drive in the thing.

Oh, and some sort of RAID / mirroring / redundancy option would be nice.

And drop the price a bit.

gramirez2012

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Chicago, USA
YES! I will be selling my current AirPort Extreme when these new ones come out. Trying to decide if I want an Extreme or a Time Capsule, though.

What would be really awesome is if Apple provided an off-site backup option from the Time Machine to iCloud.

blindzero

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2006
Hopefully these will operate as a deluxe AppleTV too. No need for two pieces of hardware.

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
All of these rumors are talking about what Apple is going to do with the Time Capsules... What about the Airport Extreme Base Station? Are they going to do away with them entirely and make me buy a Time Capsule if I want these new features? :confused:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
This could be big.

I know at least one person who considered an iPad as her only computer at home but she gave up on that idea because of the need to sync it with a full computer.

If a time-capsule really could sync/update/backup an iPad then I can think of 3 or 4 people I'd suggest an 'iPad-Time Capsule-Bluetooth Keyboard-Apple TV' home system to. *

As iOS grows there will be more and more people who fit that profile.

* These are people who currently own a single Macbook and only use 1/10th of its potential. So yes, that sort of customer does exist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.