Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

FunkySpaceMonkey.com posts a screenshot of what it claims to be the login page for a beta version of Apple's iCloud service, claiming to have obtained the image from "Apple's internal server".
If you want all the rumors about they'ree [sic] easy to find on every site. But here's the first fact about it. We got a first look at the beta login page of iCloud, from Apple's internal server.
The meaning behind use of a "name badge" style window for the login is not entirely clear, although it could be construed to be offering users the feeling of gaining access to Apple's data centers.

FunkySpaceMonkey.com does not have a significant track record of posting Apple-related rumors, and so we are hesitant to put too much faith in it. We also do tend to see significant numbers of questionable claims and images showing up in the lead-up to major Apple events, but we felt that this one was interesting enough to publish.

Article Link: Questionable Screenshot of iCloud Login Page Surfaces

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
MobileMe = Exchange for the rest of us.
iCloud = MobileMe for the rest of us. :rolleyes:

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
What makes this interesting is that it's just a login page, nothing else. It doesn't say anything about the features. Just a login page. So it's nothing to base an exclusive news story on for FunkySpaceMonkey. Not much to gain on it. And that's why I think it could be legitimate.

If you spent time to fake something, you might just as well fake something to bring some interesting "news".

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Hmmm... if you compare the cloud logo to the official one that's appeared on the WWDC publicity material, they don't quite seem the same. In particular, look at the angle of the join between the two 'bumps' at the top of the cloud - this one looks more acute than the WWDC one and - at least to me - a bit aesthetically wrong, which doesn't sit right for Apple. That said, the WWDC shots are at an angle so the difference could just be an illusion.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-06-03 at 20.23.12.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-06-03 at 20.23.12.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 2,992

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Žalgiris;12678264 said:
Looks Apple-ish at least.

What matters is that it's nice. Not a penis contest here, pal.

Never said it was ;) Was just pointing out that its highly likely to be a fake given how easy it would be to put that together. We've seen the logo, we've got the iOS style thrown in there. Not exactly a hard conclusion to reach...pal.

NightThree

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2003
Maine
I'm going to say it's fake.

First, having a "remember me"-type checkbox doesn't seem like something Apple would want to do. Apple usually doesn't want you to have to worry about typing in passwords to access your stuff, and the MobileMe login screen doesn't have one. Maybe they're adding it for extra security, but I'd think they'd more likely go with an "I'm on a public computer" box than the one on the shot.

I don't think they'll go with "beta" either. I bet they've been working on the tech for this for a heck of a long time, even if they haven't had the content deals to go along with it. I'd want to differentiate myself from Google's Music Beta by saying, "Hey, we know this works right from the start. Let's get going." (And I'd be hesitant to think they use a "beta" marker just for internal testing. Do people at Apple really need to be reminded that one of the most closely-guarded secrets at the company isn't public?)

Žalgiris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Lithuania
Never said it was ;) Was just pointing out that its highly likely to be a fake given how easy it would be to put that together. We've seen the logo, we've got the iOS style thrown in there. Not exactly a hard conclusion to reach...pal.

Even if it's not fake you can reach a conclusion that it's fake based on that it's easy todo. Who said it needs to be hard? Anyway we'll find out soon enough, pal. :)

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Even if it's not fake you can reach a conclusion that it's fake based on that it's easy todo. Who said it needs to be hard? Anyway we'll find out soon enough, pal. :)

I'm sure we will! :)

NightThree - your observations are pretty decent. I agree that its highly likely to be a fake.

IMO if it was real we would have been shown a lot more than a login screen.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
...First, having a "remember me"-type checkbox doesn't seem like something Apple would want to do... Apple usually doesn't want you to have to worry about typing in passwords to access your stuff, and the MobileMe login screen doesn't have one.

Yes it does!

Here's http://www.me.com:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-06-03 at 20.54.32.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-06-03 at 20.54.32.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 151

SeanMcg

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
Hmmm... if you compare the cloud logo to the official one that's appeared on the WWDC publicity material, they don't quite seem the same. In particular, look at the angle of the join between the two 'bumps' at the top of the cloud - this one looks more acute than the WWDC one and - at least to me - a bit aesthetically wrong, which doesn't sit right for Apple. That said, the WWDC shots are at an angle so the difference could just be an illusion.

I wouldn't base too much on that - the picture on the left is shot through glass at an angle and has been given an AppleInsider watermark. And Apple has tweaked things in the past. Besides, the alleged screenshot, if real, is, by definition, a pre-release item, subject to change.

Not saying it is real, just not swayed by this argument.

Žalgiris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Lithuania
I'm sure we will! :)

NightThree - your observations are pretty decent. I agree that its highly likely to be a fake.

IMO if it was real we would have been shown a lot more than a login screen.

Beta must be the key here. Apple doesn't do beta. Well minus that no way to tell if it's fake or not.

hglk

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2009
Utah, USA

That sounds about right...

Look at this which is not an an angle.

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2011/06/02/WWDC-2011_09.jpg

mike crow

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2011
It also has this logo

The white out of a cloud.

Attachments

• Mobile me login page.jpg
    Mobile me login page.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 161

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Somebody at 9to5mac posted that it's the internal beta for Apple employees. The lanyard would make a lot of sense in this case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.