Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Just picked up a second iMac so that the whole family could be on OS X and I'm a little disappointed on the ability to share things between Mac's.

iTUNES: You can turn on sharing in iTunes but the ones sharing have only a basic view in iTunes with no coverflow or division between song, movies and books?

iPHOTO: You need a special partition or external drive hooked up directly to the Mac (Not a NAS which I already have) in order to share the iPhoto library due to the special permissions setting that is required?

Any hints or tips on making a 2 iMac household more "friendly?"

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
You can share the "full" iTunes with multiple Macs as long as only one tries to access it at the same time. Just move the "master" iTunes folder to your NAS or make one of the Music folders shared. Then hold the Option/Alt button down when you click the iTunes icon the first time. Browse to the new iTunes folder location and viola - shared iTunes :)

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
You can share the "full" iTunes with multiple Macs as long as only one tries to access it at the same time. Just move the "master" iTunes folder to your NAS or make one of the Music folders shared. Then hold the Option/Alt button down when you click the iTunes icon the first time. Browse to the new iTunes folder location and viola - shared iTunes :)

Thanks I will give that a try tonight.

Question: What would happen if we do try and access it at the same time? An error message like iPhoto or will it corrupt something?

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI

Question: What would happen if we do try and access it at the same time? An error message like iPhoto or will it corrupt something?

To tell you the truth, I've never tried lol. The reason I didn't would be that I'd think the first opener would lock changes to the library XML file.

acedickson

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2004
ATL

I tried to find a solid answer but I don't think accessing the libraries at the same time will affect anything. I did find that editing songs or playlists can only be done one one computer at a time. The only problem might be, I stress might, is accessing the same song at the same time but that should still work. I would love to test this theory but only have one computer in the house.

You can only make updates to one music library at a time — you cannot have iTunes open on both computers and make changes. Make changes on one, then open the other one.

You need to close iTunes on the computer you made changes on, and reopen it on all other computers to see changes
- Source

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.