Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
Hey guys,

I was reading the latest issue of macworld and in the issue there was a article discussing the different cable cutters.. Such as apple tv2, rokuhd, and a mac mini. The articles discussed the pros and cons of each device and at the end stated there's no one device that can make the perfect HTPC Setup. I agree and disagree.

I feel like the ps3 and appletv1. Handle all my needs. If i was n't such a big sports fan I wouldve been able to cut cable long ago. It's way too expensive.

Ps3 with netflix and now hulu plus the ability to play blue rays when need be and atv1 for movie rentals and the occasional purchase. How is this not the perfect setup. I also use the appletv1 as large ipod for music . I store my favorite albums on it .. It sounds great and it's easy to use..

How is this not perfect ? Thoughts?

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Ps3 with netflix and now hulu plus the ability to play blue rays when need be and atv1 for movie rentals and the occasional purchase. How is this not the perfect setup. I also use the appletv1 as large ipod for music . I store my favorite albums on it .. It sounds great and it's easy to use..

How is this not perfect ? Thoughts?

How is relying on the Playstation Network "not perfect"? Well hmm.....

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
If i could get footy on my ATV then I'd dump cable/satellite immediately. Other than the footy TV is utter ****.

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
I dont buy anything from psn. Just use netflix and sometimes play movies thru the ps3...

The reference was to the security problems PSN has had over the past month.

Still Missing:
Sports
Premium cable (HBO, Showtime)
Local News (if you care)

If you could subscribe to ESPN3 without having a cable subscription it would help. Same for HBO - they have an App, but you have to have a cable subscription + HBO to use it.

Hulu isn't for everyone. They don't get all episodes at or near the original air date, and they still have commercials.

You can solve some of the issues by using Over the Air, depending on your location.

thetruth1985

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2010
You don't need a cable subscription in order to watch espn3. All you need is for your provider to be on the list on the espn site. If you have a xbox 360, you can watch espn3. I have successfully cut cable by using a ps3, xbox 360, and a atv2? I have 3 of each that serve media throughout the house. I also have a eyetv on my mac that lets me record OTA HD for me to watch on my ps3. Although I don't use it, I know the ps3 can stream live mlb and nhl games with a membership. NBA is covered on the ATV2 but you also need a membership. The only thing missing is NFL games but I just usually catch the ones on local tv.

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
Guess I'll have to try ESPN3 again. I was sure they rejected my login, but I've probably confused them with something else. That does help a bit if it works!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.