Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

essinger

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2008
Because at the end of the day, I don't own my music with Napster. With this system, I do. If I decide to tell Apple "******* you" and cancel my subscription, I still have my music.

Yeah, but it is worth pointing out that if you cancel Napster you still have the same music! Because you aren't getting any new music from this service.

vnowarita

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
anyone else messing with icloud on iPhone. I just unjailbroke for the heck of it and I see all these app updates and notice that the cloud is next to all of them. It also looked at purchases on iTunes and just threw on Rolling Stones Exile I had purchased last year. Friggin sweet!:D

Blu-Ray

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
Colorado
NO those files don't live on your devise they live on the cloud. You "play" from the cloud.
The files live on the cloud AND your devices (unless you choose not to download a specific music file on a specific device). The music files are not "streamed" to the devices. They have to be downloaded before you can play them.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
Music you didn't pay for? :confused:

That may be your definition...but just because you didn't pay for the song (say you ripped it from a friend's cd or even downloaded the mp3 from an FTP site), what are people worried about? There's nothing in the MP3 that says "I'm pirated!!! Help!! Help!! Sue this person now!!!"

How in the world would Apple know if your mp3 of Borderline by Madonna is "pirated"?

If I sync my iPod to the same machine as my dad's and grab his music, is that pirating? What if I get a cd for my birthday?

All I'm saying is there are a LOT of posts on here about people asking about pirated music but not defining at all the scenario they are worried about.

Last edited:

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
So if I don't have access to wifi or 3g on my iphone then I essentially have no music on my phone?

If I have some songs synced on my iphone but play the rest from the cloud do I know where the song is being played from?

Or if you're data is capped etc. There are a LOT of unanswered questions about this service. I can see people wanting streaming but frankly streaming does me NO good. My iPad is wi-fi only and its only a matter of time before ALL cellular data plans are capped. I'm not eating up my entire cap listening to music.

Also, no one gets AT&T service in my suite in the office here so if it were ONLY streaming they would now have no songs on their iPod/iPhone?

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
That may be your definition...but just because you didn't pay for the song (say you ripped it from a friend's cd or even downloaded the mp3 from an FTP site), what are people worried about? There's nothing in the MP3 that says "I'm pirated!!! Help!! Help!! Sue this person now!!!"

This is the definition of piracy. Are you messing with us? How do YOU define pirated? Pirated music is music distributed in violation of copyright laws. That includes downloaded music that wasn't paid for and which the distribution wasn't authorized by the content owner as well as copying a friend's CD.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
already working with my US account, nothing on my german account as expected :mad:

i wonder if i can pay those 25 $ with a giftcard as i'm not an american citizen (which apple doesnt know) and would get a friend of mine to buy me a US giftcard ^^ if i need a credit card, then i'm screwed i guess :(

lavarae

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2010
How in the world would Apple know if your mp3 of Borderline by Madonna is "pirated"?

For that matter, how would Apple know if 3min of silence called Borderline by Madonna isn't what it claims to be. Could you sneak in such sound files and get a real match?

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
already working with my US account, nothing on my german account as expected :mad:

i wonder if i can pay those 25 $ with a giftcard as i'm not an american citizen (which apple doesnt know) and would get a friend of mine to buy me a US giftcard ^^ if i need a credit card, then i'm screwed i guess :(

you can also get your friend to buy you a pre paid visa card in that case. Works like a regular one (is indistinguishable for the vendor I believe) ..
edit
Actually .. I am not sure that helps in this case as Apple is checking the Adress I think

T

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I think this is a good first step. Streaming will come in time. Personally, I don't really care about streaming, as my devices all have more than enough space for my tunes.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
For that matter, how would Apple know if 3min of silence called Borderline by Madonna isn't what it claims to be. Could you sneak in such sound files and get a real match?

If the iCloud/iTunes software was poorly written and didn't check for dead space. I'm sure there's some kind of basic algorithm for title/artist/length/file size as well as what the song sounds like (ever use Shazam? check it out if not)

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009

maybe something along the lines of shazam to detect the music? Should at least be enough to exclude empty songs.

T.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Boy are you going to be surprised when Google Music goes out of beta.

you really have not follow Google for very long. Go look up how long stuff stays in beta at Google then get back to me. If it comes out of beta in the next 5 years I will be shocked. Gmail for example was in beta for over 5 years. It was in 2009 when it dropped that tag and Gmail had been around since 2003-2004 and pretty mucn anyone could have it since 2004.

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
First person to accurately to explain how the matching works wins a prize of immeasurable value. ;)
LOL, yeah, a lot of speculation going on and a lot of people saying things that are explicitly in conflict with what was said in the keynote.

idd

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2011
Or if you're data is capped etc. There are a LOT of unanswered questions about this service. I can see people wanting streaming but frankly streaming does me NO good. My iPad is wi-fi only and its only a matter of time before ALL cellular data plans are capped. I'm not eating up my entire cap listening to music.

Also, no one gets AT&T service in my suite in the office here so if it were ONLY streaming they would now have no songs on their iPod/iPhone?

I exclusively stream all of my music through Rhapsody. It has it's flaws but being able to "add" dozens of albums for $10/mo can't be beat IMO.

I have over 1000 songs in my library that I set to shuffle and listen to at home, on the way to and from work, and at work. I absolutely love it.

However, I also have a ton of music in iTunes that can't be found on Rhapsody like mashups, nerdcore, remixes, etc.

I was really hoping that I could dump Rhapsody, upload all of my one-offs to the cloud, and abuse iTunes like I do with Rhapsody now.

Looks like I'll have to stick with what I've got...

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I think Ericinboston is worried that he would have to do an excessive amount of uploading.

KInd of like if you use the Amazon or google options, which some people here are weirdly claiming are a better deal... People Be Crazy.

lavarae

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2010
If the iCloud/iTunes software was poorly written and didn't check for dead space. I'm sure there's some kind of basic algorithm for title/artist/length/file size as well as what the song sounds like (ever use Shazam? check it out if not)

No, will do though.

I was thinking it would be like Genius playlist, it's just analyse your library, isn't that what he said.

AaronEdwards

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
You upload 20,000 songs that you have illegally downloaded. Even if you paid for this service for the next 50 years, you would still only have paid 6 cents per song.

People wouldn't have to buy music at all, then can just download a song illegally and then have it sync on iTunes Match for an allowed copy.

Artists would get no money what so ever.

If anyone actually thinks Apple got the record companies to agree to this, then you're delusional.

Most likely the terms for the service will be clarified.

jmw1480

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
This is absolutely WORTHLESS!

I though I was going to be able to STREAM my music and photos so that they don't take so much space on my iPad/iPhone

I agree. I was hoping that this would give my 16gb iPhone more access to my 1TB desktop and all its music than just the ability to re-download it there. A great initial concept and step towards integration, but hopefully there's a streaming cloud service in the future.

rWally

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2006
Denver, CO
* Raises Hand :D

People, sorry for the ignorance here but:

if I have idevices that are 16gb, or 32 GB and and iTunes lib. at 750GB, how does this help me?

Better yet, do we with large library's need this?:confused:

Thanks all.

Exactly. Which is why I keep asking about the streaming. I'd fill my 32GB iphone with what I want most and stream the rest. If I don't have internet connection then I can still listen to what I have on the phone itself.

I was really hoping for a solution where I could just stream from my home machine. Basically, my own cloud. Similar to the StreamToMe app but integrated with the native ipod app.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
something that came to my mind. let's say there's a new song of "Pitbull" on iTunes but u dont actually have the song. What stops u from tagging a completely different Pitbull song as the one and u get it for free? ^^

redfirebird08

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
anyone else messing with icloud on iPhone. I just unjailbroke for the heck of it and I see all these app updates and notice that the cloud is next to all of them. It also looked at purchases on iTunes and just threw on Rolling Stones Exile I had purchased last year. Friggin sweet!:D

Are you able to stream it or did you have to download it to your iPhone before playing it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.