Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Hi, so uh like a year a ago I downloaded an app from the app store my wife wouldn't approve of me seeing (she is very jelous). I only downloaded on my phone and deleted months ago. However today with the upgrade to the app store I can see it when I check the "apps not on this ipad" list and same on my iphone. its only a matter of time before she eventually sees it on her phone as well, so is there anyway to get rid of this?

JBTX

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2011
Hi, so uh like a year a ago I downloaded an app from the app store my wife wouldn't approve of me seeing (she is very jelous). I only downloaded on my phone and deleted months ago. However today with the upgrade to the app store I can see it when I check the "apps not on this ipad" list and same on my iphone. its only a matter of time before she eventually sees it on her phone as well, so is there anyway to get rid of this?

oh *****, I just looked at my download history. Not worried about my wife seeing it, she's cool. But I don't want my little girl seeing it. I guess I'm disabling the itunes store on her ipod using parental controls.

Seriously Apple I want to opt completely out of iCloud.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
Can't you simply go into setting and remove your apple id from the device?

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
wouldnt then this not disable all the other apps on her iphone? and what about updates?

Yeah, it will be a problem updating, but it wouldn't effect apps already on the device (I think). I think it's workable for the gentlemen concerned about his child, but a spouse... not so much. I don't know if there really is solution other than to stop sharing accounts.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
Since I don't share my iTunes account with anyone this doesn't effect me but I can see how this is a huge concern for others. I am sure there will be parental controls for this, if not already.

I don't think your wife would be happy with parental controls on her iPhone though.

Gen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Apple will always know what you've downloaded - they just decided to tell you.

I don't see how this is a big deal at all ... and your wife is jealous of you downloading an app? Really? An app from an app store that doesn't distribute any nudity? What's the app that she's so jealous of?

JBTX

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2011
Can't you simply go into setting and remove your apple id from the device?

Yep she would loose video, apps and other authorized content. iCloud is not fully released and its already a cluster #%@#$ :mad:

Plus I'm not making a separate iTunes account for a 6 year old child!

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Apple will always know what you've downloaded - they just decided to tell you.

I don't see how this is a big deal at all ... and your wife is jealous of you downloading an app? Really? An app from an app store that doesn't distribute any nudity? What's the app that she's so jealous of?

it would be the maxim app., and yes my wife is crazy.

ha, also just found jiggle boobs on there too, totally forgot about that one.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
If you contact Apple about it I bet they say to not share your account, they probably won't do anything to help you. I'm surprised there aren't more people complaining about this right now.

Gen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
If you contact Apple about it I bet they say to not share your account, they probably won't do anything to help you. I'm surprised there aren't more people complaining about this right now.

Because it's not even available to any consumers, only developers...

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
ok, well I have sent apple an e-mail to see what they advise. i'll keep you posted.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Time to get the iWife.

Exodudee

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2011
Definitely agree with this.

Boobs aside, the amount of free-lite apps I've trialled and then tossed aside were tossed aside for that particular reason. I have no desire to keep them tethered to my account.

I can agree and sympathise with not allowing paid apps to be deleted, but free ones, surely?!

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
This is problematic, not just with apps, but with music as well. Surely Apple realizes children have iTouches and iPads. They don't have credit cards, and share their parents Apple ID. This is why Apple allows 5 computers and unlimited iDevices.

So I have an explicit song purchased a few months back, now my 10 year old can see it in her iTunes store on her iPad. This is a huge drawback!

Furthermore, automatic syncing/backups? Which iPhone in the family will be used for backups. Say my iPhone is used for backup, and then my wife needs to swap hers for some reason...when she opens the new iPhone and configures it...will it download all my settings, etc.?

Apple has to know households share Apple IDs among mom, dad, and children. I certainly hope they have a fix for this, because the apps and music don't differentiate between whose is whose.

jasonforisrael

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2008
I just want to be able to remove apps from the purchase list so i can turn on the automatic app download and have it not install a bunch of things i've purchased but don't want on the phone itself.

edit: nevermind, i just saw that it only auto downloads NEW purchases from your computer. pretty cool to hit download in itunes and then pick your phone up and it's loading.

Last edited:

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
This is problematic, not just with apps, but with music as well. Surely Apple realizes children have iTouches and iPads. They don't have credit cards, and share their parents Apple ID. This is why Apple allows 5 computers and unlimited iDevices.

So I have an explicit song purchased a few months back, now my 10 year old can see it in her iTunes store on her iPad. This is a huge drawback!

Furthermore, automatic syncing/backups? Which iPhone in the family will be used for backups. Say my iPhone is used for backup, and then my wife needs to swap hers for some reason...when she opens the new iPhone and configures it...will it download all my settings, etc.?

Apple has to know households share Apple IDs among mom, dad, and children. I certainly hope they have a fix for this, because the apps and music don't differentiate between whose is whose.

Apple already has parental restrictions for people like you. The only way this is really a problem is if you're trying to hide something from a spouse or something.

weenie

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
...the amount of free-lite apps I've trialled and then tossed aside were tossed aside for that particular reason. I have no desire to keep them tethered to my account...

+1

I tried a lot of Lite apps, and it is very cluttering to see all of them listed.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Apple already has parental restrictions for people like you. The only way this is really a problem is if you're trying to hide something from a spouse or something.

I'm not trying to hide anything from anyone, but I can confirm that my entire family's iDevices show ALL content purchased from the App Store and iTunes. This includes everything my children have purchased as well as all the content my wife and I have purchased. On every single device we have RIGHT NOW due to this update. Automatic downloads is defaulted to "OFF" so none of the content is actually installed on the devices, but they are all visible in the cue.

What this proves is a single Apple ID syncs all media content across all devices regardless of who owns it (mom, dad, daughter, son). How about data and personal settings? What will that be like when iCloud goes live? I'm not sure Apple has this thing ironed out yet. Parents should have the ability to prevent content from getting "sync'd" or even displayed in the cue to certain devices because of who interacts with them (children).

In terms of multiple Apple IDs, this would negate the hundreds of dollars spent in iTunes as everyone else in the household would not be able to use the media content.

Apple allows families to share content via their Home Sharing! Even their website says households can share content on 5 computers and unlimited number of devices. So Apple allowed us to use a single Apple ID for years of purchasing media content to share in the family. Now, everyone has their cues filled with everything ever downloaded (to include all the worthless long deleted free apps).

The way it's set up now, iCloud is only good for a single user on a single Apple ID. Total Fail as of today's implementation. They need to provide an option to opt a particular device out of the sync for media content, and allow backups to occur per individual user, not Apple ID. In other words, we should be allowed to identify 5 seperate users within an Apple ID so all their content is updated and not affect the other users of the household.

From the Keynote, it looks like the @me.com required iCloud registration is only going to work with differentiate Mail, Calendar, and Contacts.

obamtl

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2010

And why should Apple air your dirty laundry? It's a privacy issue. I have every right to not want to have some app that I tested out of curiosity remain on my app history 20 years from now. There's got to be a way to 'forget' apps. It's a privacy issue, and Apple is not our moral conscience.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
I tested the parental control, and it will prevent an app or song from being installed via the cloud. The App or Song is still visible in the Cue, but the cloud turns grey as opposed to white. This was for an explicit song by P!nk. My wife is a huge P!nk fan, and her latest album has a few of them.

On a side note, a coworker of mine checked his "purchase history" at work and found some questionable Apps. He immediately put a call into his wife to see if it was her or his daughter that downloaded them.

I sense trouble coming!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.