Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios5_icon.jpg
TUAW reports that references to two new iPad models have been discovered in the just-released iOS 5 beta: "iPad3,1" and "iPad3,2". Given that there are currently three iPad 2 models internally identified as "iPad2,1" (Wi-Fi), "iPad2,2" (GSM), and "iPad2,3" (CDMA), the appearance of only two models in iOS 5 lends credence to rumors that the next-generation cellular-capable iPad may come as a world-mode device able to run on either CDMA or GSM networks.

The report does note, however, that these indications of new models do not always lead to new product releases, as a previously-discovered "iPhone3,2" has yet to see the light of day following the release of the GSM (iPhone3,1) and CDMA (iPhone3,3) iPhone 4 models. The missing model may have been destined for a carrier running on a different standard such as T-Mobile's slightly-different GSM 3G network, but a deal with such a carrier may simply have fallen through.

Today's report also cites the presence of "iPhone4,1" and "iPhone4,2" references pointing to the next-generation iPhone. These references are not new, however, as they appeared in iOS 4.3 betas as far back as early January.

Interestingly, iOS 5 currently makes no reference to any unreleased iPod touch models, maxing out at the current "iPod4,1" fourth-generation iPod touch. This of course does not mean that no new iPod touch is in the works, but it is curious that device identifiers for models presumably set for introduction in just a few months are not included.

Article Link: iOS 5 Contains References to Two Next-Generation iPad Models

Last edited by a moderator:

Hairball

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2007
Near an Apple device
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Getting close to finally upgrading my 3GS.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Forget iPhones and their stupidly high monthly fees. Bring on the 5th generation iPod touch!

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
iPhone 5... yeah!

Yeah bring out the iPhone 5 rumors!

These references are not new, however, as they appeared in iOS 4.3 betas as far back as early January.

JANUARY

doesnt mean they will be releasing them next week...

bring on the ipod touch 5

Interestingly, iOS 5 currently makes no reference to any unreleased iPod touch models, maxing out at the current "iPod4,1" fourth-generation iPod touch. This of course does not mean that no new iPod touch is in the works, but it is curious that device identifiers for models presumably set for introduction in just a few months are not included.

Might not be a new model this year...Or it might be late.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
As far as I know, based on only a couple friends that work there who are unsurprisingly tight-lipped about it & what I've read here, there are two teams in the design group each working independently on the next versions of the hardware. Meaning, if the iPad 2 is out, then one team is working on the 3, and the team that worked on the 2 is beginning on the 4.

Similarly, the team working on the iPhone 5 will begin working on the 7 once the 5 wraps, while the 6 makes its way into testing.

I thought this was fairly common knowledge.

Last edited:

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
Since the fifth iPhone has been pushed to September, the next iPod touch has likely been pushed back further. The firmware probably doesn't reference it because it's still far away.

Biolizard

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2008
London, United Kingdom
Since the fifth iPhone has been pushed to September, the next iPod touch has likely been pushed back further. The firmware probably doesn't reference it because it's still far away.

I'm skeptical that they'd push too far back. Christmas is probably the peak season for the iPod Touch; indeed, iPods in general. But that's logic talking, and logic != business.

James Enright

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2011
I'm skeptical that they'd push too far back. Christmas is probably the peak season for the iPod Touch; indeed, iPods in general. But that's logic talking, and logic != business.

I agree, its unlikely that apple would push back the ipod touch and the iphone 5. Since we've been hearing rumors that the iphone 5 will be a speed upgrade just like the iphone 3Gs was for the iPhone 3G I think that all there going to change about the ipod touch is a similar speed bump. That would mean that there would be a lot less work involved as there would be no form factor change. It would also be unlike apple to miss the holiday season. Last year there was a new :apple:TV and all the ipods were spruced up for christmas time, there was also the macbook air.

James Enright

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2011
I've heard a few rumors stating the next iPhone will replace the Touch, and they will EOL the Touch this fall.

There going to stay as rumors. The iphone couldn't replace the touch, lots of the children I know got ipod touches for christmas. An iphone would be a little over the top for a 7 year old.

theelysium

Suspended
Nov 18, 2008
Blaa

I think they read too much into those model number things. They are just for testing purposes. How do we know the ipad ones aren't for the current iPads?

It seems like a bunch of hot air to blab about.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
There going to stay as rumors. The iphone couldn't replace the touch, lots of the children I know got ipod touches for christmas. An iphone would be a little over the top for a 7 year old.

If the rumors are to be believed, it would be similar to the iPad's situation - an iPhone 3G+WiFi and iPhone WiFi if you will.

theelysium

Suspended
Nov 18, 2008
I think it will be a small upgrade. iPhone4S.

It's in their $$$ interest to go with the smaller upgrade.

James Enright

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2011
If the rumors are to be believed, it would be similar to the iPad's situation - an iPhone 3G+WiFi and iPhone WiFi if you will.

Then the iPhone WiFi would just be an iPod touch with a different name and form factor. It could be a possibility, but it would just make for a thicker iPod touch.

ivladster

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Washington DC
drop the classic

What if Apple drops iPod Classic and calls iPod touch just an iPod. This might finally make a family. iPod, iPod nano and iPod shuffle. But, they would also have to bump up the storage to 256GBs while making iPhone 64GBs.

cav23j

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2008

that wouldn't make sense
the carriers would never go for that
they want to charge data plans for all smartphones so the iPhone WiFi would be extremely high-priced to make up for no data plans

SpinThis!

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
Inside the Machine (Green Bay, WI)
It seems like a bunch of hot air to blab about.
Pretty much. It's all about the hype. Apple knows blogs like this report on just about any potential new product string in some plist somewhere. They're controlled leaks.

Anyone who thinks these strings are for public "testing" purposes is seriously fooling themselves. Why even build for the public at all? It'd be all to easy to generate separate builds without those strings inside if they wanted to keep things tight lipped but the hype is much better so they do it.

gwest

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2004
No New Pod Touch?

Interesting about no mention of the iPod Touch. By this time each year Apple has started their Educational Incentive offering college students a free iPod Touch when they by a Mac. That hasn't happened and it's pretty late. I wonder if no revision is in the works, meaning no reason to dump inventory.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan

Im not so sure, I know a 9 year old with an iPhone 3GS. It would make sense to get rid of the iPod Touch if Apple could lower the price of the iPhone. The iPod Touch is pretty much a skinny iPhone 4 with a bad camera w/o flash or without a headset speaker and cellular capabilities, these things could easily be added at a low cost to Apple, don't want it to be a phone? don't include a sim card. Unlocked 8GB iPhones starting at $259 ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.