Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bonnka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2011
I deleted my System Preferences on my MacBook-Mac OS X Version 10.5.8. How can I get it back if I don't have the cd it came with?

Hansr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2007
Did you delete it or just remove it from the Dock? Check Jolly Jimmy's reply and if it work you can add it back by dragging it from /Applications/ to your Dock.

Bonnka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2011
No its gone completely,like if I click on it,it a "?" on it. :(

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
I take it you have no backup either. You're gonna need your install DVD. Unless someone here with 10.5.8 can upload it for you.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Give the Combo update a try:
http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10_5_8_Combo_Update

If that doesn't work do an Archive & Install from the disc that came with your computer.

Nope.

I deleted my System Preferences on my MacBook-Mac OS X Version 10.5.8. How can I get it back if I don't have the cd it came with?

The obvious answer is from your backup. Since you didn't mention that you don't have a backup, I'm hoping that's an option.

Hansr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2007

Then he/she can grab a new one from Apple or buy Snow Leopard.

But the combo should work anyway since the System Prefs binary was updated ~10.5.4 IIRC.

The obvious answer is from your backup. Since you didn't mention that you don't have a backup, I'm hoping that's an option.

People generally don't back up anything until they've had at least one big wad of data loss.

EspressoLove

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Bay Area

Here you go
Should work
Report back with results
(I never did something like that ;))

Attachments

• System Preferences.app_v5.0.zip
    298.2 KB · Views: 3,085
Reactions: Lender101

Bonnka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2011
THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR HELPING ME!! And EspressoLove,it work thank you soooooo much!!:D

Bobo74

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
deleted System Preferences?

I had the same problem, EspressoLove is a life saver and GENIUS!!!:):apple:
Thanks!

casual642

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2013
deleted system preferences

Hi does anyone have the system preferences version 5.2 that i could download, please help. I tried the expresslove version and finder said i needed version 5.2

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
First of all, every one here who "Accidentally" deleted your System Preferences:
Why/how on earth did you do that? There are at least two safeguards that should make you stop and think about what you're doing (authorisation; empty trash).

Second: you should have a backup. What if you "accidentally" delete one of your files, like photos? If you are in the habit of deleting system files, then a backup makes restoring them very easy.

Thirdly: asking for (and accepting) executables from random people on the internet (no offence, justperry!) is unwise at best. Even if the file is actually the correct one for your OS, it could still be laced with malware, either unwittingly, or deliberately. System files should come from a trusted source, such as your own backup or an installer.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Thirdly: asking for (and accepting) executables from random people on the internet (no offence, justperry!) is unwise at best. Even if the file is actually the correct one for your OS, it could still be laced with malware, either unwittingly, or deliberately. System files should come from a trusted source, such as your own backup or an installer.

No worries.
Have to agree but I for one do not have to care, if "they" want to get software from an unreliable source it is their problem.

It would be fairly easy though to change the Executable with something else and wipe the receivers HD.

BrandiBonilla

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2013
I've deleted my System Preferences by mistake..

I tried the System Preferences download, but it said i couldn't download it because i have the 5.2 version. And my friend doesn't have any installation discs when she gave me the Macbook. If any of you could upload a file with it, so i can have i would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Its in the dock but with a nonsmoking symbol on it, no question mark, but my safari is gone an so is iChat. Both have question marks. I don't know what happened. I could use some help, Thank you!

BrandiBonilla

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2013
LOL! It's a no smoking symbol if there's a cigarette inside the circle. :D

LOL, no other way to describe it! :mad: But i done some macbook update an both iChat & my System Preferences are completely wiped from the computer, i tried looking thru library to see if i can find it, and it's not there. So i have no idea what to do next? Please help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.