Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grapefruitx

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
There needs to be a generic way of doing this, free from Flash, IOS or Android executables, its just pictures and formatted text for the most part, just shows how far HTML hasn't come.

angrylawyer

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2010
Well, I don't know... sure, they have to give 30% to Apple but at the end of the day they receive 70% and even though it's not as profitable...

I may have misunderstood, but it's 30% of the subscription price, so if their profit margin is less than 30% then they lose money with every subscription.

It would be different if it was like 30% of their profits, but then everybody would just lie about their profits if they even chose to disclose them.

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
What 30% buys you:

• Unlimited Hosting (5%),
  • Subscription billing system (expensive to provide customer support),
  • Payment Gateway (they take between 5-10% of every payment transaction)
  • Technical Support
  • Advertisement of Your App in High Yield CPM

For companies that don't already have an online billing system iTunes
provides extremely lost cost system.

Cost of developing our billing platform ($10,000)
Cost to our payment gateway on every transaction under $1 (10% 20¢ fee)
Cost to our payment gate on every transaction OVER $1 (5% 10¢ fee)
Monthly Hosting Costs $1500.00 (monthly)
Staff to answer support emails and fix trouble tickets ($3000.00 /month)

iTunes is a great deal!

But if you do already have an online billing system for website sales, iTunes is a huge rip-off; especially if you're selling low-margin products or products that cost more than $2.

For instance, we sell $20 products online, and pay something like 30¢ + .03% per transaction, which amounts to 90¢ per $20 sale. Whereas we'd be paying Apple $6 for that sale.

Our margin on the $20 is about 15% ($3; even an all-digital product typically has overhead in terms of salaries and such, and we have per-sale third-party costs unrelated to payment processing or hosting), so with iTunes we'd be losing money on each sale unless we jack up our prices.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
This was the company that was mad at Apple because Apple wouldn't let them steal their customer's private info secretly. I'm not saying the 30% isn't also a reason, but I'm wondering if it's not their main reason for doing this.

I'd be VERY nervous about signing up for any account with Financial Times. I suspect the whole 30% thing is just a cover for their real intentions.

webdev

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2011
For the FT, with a dedicated readership willing to pay, it may be worth giving those things up in exchange for the ability to offer a true cross-platform experience.

I thought iOS was only apple platform specific, not "true" cross-platform. What they are doing is actually true cross-platform.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Just changed the user agent on my Xoom to iPad and it works fine. For this sort of content, I'd love to see HTML5 as the standard.

Cross platfom, standards compliant, available to everyone.

kolf

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2007
Why does everything have to be "appified"

I'm not sure why there has to be an application for everything. It seems like the Internet should be enough for many apps out there. I'm glad that FT Is doing this and I hope more follow. I like the idea of having a machine that I can do with what I want. I don't like one company dictating to me what I can view, limiting my choices.

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
LOL, a few year ago Apple says, "html5 Web Apps are really cool, guys make stuff."

Community, "no we want native apps. Web Apps suck. Come-on we'll pay for them!"

Apple, "OK, we built this awesome platform for native apps. Here is the bill."

Community, "Gready Apple. We are going to build web app instead!"

Why do people forget how much Apple has benefitted from all the people building apps? I know a lot of iPhone owners (myself included) and not one wanted one until apps came about. It should be a symbiotic relationship between the platform and developers even though traditionally Apple has treated developers pretty poorly until recently.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
BTW the FT web app DOES work offline. It stores 1 day of news on the device itself. HTML5 is very capable, and frankly this is a smart move on their part rather than try to support a ton of different devices.

http://apps.ft.com/ftwebapp/faq.html#3

Interesting. Good to know.

I highly doubt that Apple can provide that much value. The FT, the WSJ, the NYT, The Economist, etc. have built up massive reputations over many, many years. The target customer is self-identifying and knows how to find the product. Do you actually believe Apple can increase the target base by a factor of 10 for these publications?

Now, Apple might be helpful to smaller publications that are just getting started. In that case, Apple might deserve their 30%; but the 30% should be capped at some number, for example, $100K per year.

Yeah. Depends on publication. However, that's what people said about iTunes when Apple offered music. People think why would anyone want to do this. There are stores on one side and pirated content on the other side.

Apple won against free, and Apple might win again in terms of publication distribution.

4x4bob

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2008
I'm not quoting the exact wording, but I was reading the article in today's FT and the main reason FT was changing the app was because Apple wouldn't disclose private information about the users habits.

So by switching to their own app, FT can manage your personal information and sell it however it pleases.

This is the disturbing part of the change in app to me.

Personally, I preferred iOS when they didn't have those iAds that popped up. Sorry, I'll pay for an app that useful, don't clutter up my screen with ads.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
30% may make sense for common apps, whose value is in their functionality and not in the content they provide. With magazine subscriptions the app is developed once not for its own sake, but for the sake of the content being delivered. Most of the value is added by the journalists and the rest of the editorial team, and for them a 30% cut on the price of a subscription is a he'll of a lot, especially if they are barred from offering the subscription cheaper outside of the app store. Down vote me as much as you will, I think the stance adopted by the FT is great and other publications should join the resistance. Apple makes great products, but they didn't invent the press, and they're not doing anything to make it any freer.

You're paying for the lead, you got the sub because they came to you from the app store. If you already get FT or send in one of those little cards, Apple does not get a cut. I don't see why people make such big deal out of this, if it wasn't for the app store, you wouldn't have a new sub, Apple should get paid for that....

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Ermm.. it does keep offline content no problem. I'm using it as we speak

Sorry, but not as well as the app...by a long shot...the app used to keep content which is NOT linked to today's edition, especially since articles are hyperlinked to other related articles.

Second: UI and overall navigation cannot be compared with the native iOS app; now it's FT trying to push its solution down our throats - I'd rather have this from Apple, which at least justifies its 30% cut through extensive back-office infrastructure instead of just subscriber-data greediness. No go, FT.

Last edited:

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
You're paying for the lead, you got the sub because they came to you from the app store. If you already get FT or send in one of those little cards, Apple does not get a cut. I don't see why people make such big deal out of this, if it wasn't for the app store, you wouldn't have a new sub, Apple should get paid for that....

On the other hand, Apple have been highly successful selling profitable hardware based in part of there being an "app for that".

I don't think either way is right or wrong but I think people underestimate the huge success Apple have had based on what developers have provided to the platform.

I think it is a good thing that companies can take control of their services via HTML5 too. For the plug in powered internet to die, we need more companies to grasp and use html5 to its advantage.

slattery69

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
Paid Shill

see this is the bit of the argument i dont get , what are apple actively doing to sell the subcription for there cut, if there putting an ad in the app store for it or actively pushing the service then yes, but from what were seeing there gonna be doing nothing other than having a button in the app.
so the person still has to find the app in the first place which the FT in this case would be promoting themselves and will have to promote in app purchasing if they were gonna take part in it

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland

Absolutely right. I was ALREADY a subscriber and Apple didn't get a single cent for that. Misinformation runs rampant these days, ya know...

juicedropsdeuce

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Exactly.

App is faster (if done right), can take offline. And there are more potential customers through the app store / itunes.

Would you want 100% fee of 1000 customers or 70% fee of 10000 customers?

That 'math' may apply to your Men's Health subscription :rolleyes:, but for people who NEED professional journalism and real information, your 'math' fails.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Actually this is a perfect example of why Apple's policy is no big deal, why whiners are just whiners, and that people still have a choice, just as they always did.

You can make your stuff available in any way and anywhere that you want.

The web is open so if you want to use the web, go ahead. If you want to be an iOS app, gotta play by the iOS rules, and so forth.

Customers aren't going to care.

onthecoast

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2010
Big fail.

There's no 3G signal on the London tube - so noone is going to be able to read it on their way to work.

Dumb move.

Why does everyone keep banging on about this? The web app downloads content into cache for offline viewing.

silentnite

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Outer sight.. Outer mind
Strong move but it's sad to say The Financial Times will come back. As strong as they are no company can afford to lose money these days. I see them coming back. If not this year maybe next. It's so hard to fight with a company that is not just growing but dominating the market and apple is leading the way in every aspect. The saying goes, "He who has the gold rules"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.