Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
that wouldn't make sense
the carriers would never go for that
they want to charge data plans for all smartphones so the iPhone WiFi would be extremely high-priced to make up for no data plans

Um, they seem to be just fine with the iPad WiFi and the iPod touch.

You do know that the iPod touch is basically an iPhone WiFi, right?

juicedropsdeuce

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Then the iPhone WiFi would just be an iPod touch with a different name and form factor. It could be a possibility, but it would just make for a thicker iPod touch.

This is what will happen. Jobs is unhappy with the rapidly growing number of SKUs in the iOS family. Too clunky.

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
If the rumors are to be believed, it would be similar to the iPad's situation - an iPhone 3G+WiFi and iPhone WiFi if you will.
I'd be fine with that if it doesn't mean iPhone pricing and it means the end of that awful shiny metal back. But if they EOL the iPod touch without a suitable replacement, many people will be very irate, myself included. I've got no need for overpriced data plans or the huge bulkiness of an iPad. But you can pry my iPod touch from my cold dead hands.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Kids should not get the iPhone, a iPod touch is fine for them. They just need those $0 phones that parents can use to keep in touch with. I think anything more, especially a smartphone is inappropriate for a kid.

There will most probably be an iPod Touch during the September iPod event when the iPhone will be announced.

juicedropsdeuce

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
How do you know that? Not being critical just inquiring:confused:

Jobs said he was unhappy with the growing number of SKUs. They'll be able to combine data plan iPads, but that's not enough. Jonny Ive has significantly reduced the thickness of the next iPhone due in September (thanks to liquidmetal) such that there is no longer any reason to distinguish the iPod touch as a separate product based on form factor.

dal20402

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2006
Kids should not get the iPhone, a iPod touch is fine for them. They just need those $0 phones that parents can use to keep in touch with. I think anything more, especially a smartphone is inappropriate for a kid.

:confused:

How is the functionality of an iPod touch + $0 phone any different for a kid than the functionality of an iPhone, other than making it twice as likely that the kid will lose one of them?

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
that wouldn't make sense
the carriers would never go for that
they want to charge data plans for all smartphones so the iPhone WiFi would be extremely high-priced to make up for no data plans

Last I checked, the price is REDUCED due to the contract, so an iPhone with no contract would be at the regular price, which the majority of us never have to pay. You seem to be thinking about it backwards.

dryja123

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2009
You mean to tell me that there's going to be another ipad and iphone?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!! I thought apple was stopping at ipad 2 and iphone 4.

cav23j

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2008
Um, they seem to be just fine with the iPad WiFi and the iPod touch.

You do know that the iPod touch is basically an iPhone WiFi, right?

missing the phone
the ability to text without needing Wi-Fi
huge difference
and camera quality is a huge difference

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
Jobs said he was unhappy with the growing number of SKUs. They'll be able to combine data plan iPads, but that's not enough. Jonny Ive has significantly reduced the thickness of the next iPhone due in September (thanks to liquidmetal) such that there is no longer any reason to distinguish the iPod touch as a separate product based on form factor.

Yet another steaming pile. Please quit trolling while you're behind.

catracho

macrumors member
May 27, 2006
They will not add more GBs to iPhones or iPods. Less costs, more money with iCloud...

Tigger11

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
Rocket City, USA
S/he doesn't, they're just speculating like everyone else.

No actually that was stated during Apples quarterly call in, though I honestly dont recall if Steve is the one who said it. There are 18 Ipad SKUs, its a nightmare for supply/production/etc. Thats why they are going to unify the ATT/Verizon IPads and I honestly wouldnt be surprised if the Wifi only unit doesnt become a thing of the past, it doesnt cost them $170 to add the radio and 6 SKUs (1 of each color and size) would be much more easy to manage. As for the other comment about the Ipod Touch being replace by a phone without a chip, parts wise the current generation Ipod Touch and Iphone are within $20 or $30 in parts, it might make alot of sense to go that way since the Iphone is a superior product except for space (ie no 64 GB phone at this time). Camera is better, more ram, GPS, etc, and that is coming from someone who doesnt have an Iphone but has 3 Ipod Touches.

Last edited:

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Last I checked, the price is REDUCED due to the contract, so an iPhone with no contract would be at the regular price, which the majority of us never have to pay. You seem to be thinking about it backwards.
Correct.

The iPhone is quite spendy in countries where cellular contracts and subsidized hardware don't exist.

cav23j doesn't seem to be familiar with cellular pricing outside the United States of Amerika.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
Will there ever be an ipad from which you can make a phone call?

I think for those people who want an iphone and an ipad, it would be nice to be able to move the SIM card back and forth and enable phone service on the one you choose at the moment. No need to carry both at once. Without the card, each device becomes wifi only.

For myself I find the iphone and kindle a nice combination that compliment one another and at a good price. I prefer kindle to ibooks and I like the E-ink. The other features on the ipad are duplicated on my iphone so it seems silly to get both and carry them around together. But if you could use the ipad as a phone too and leave the smaller device behind on a given day then I see owning an ipad + iphone to be more useful. Just carry the one you plan to use most that day.

kcwookie

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2003
New iPod/iPhone

It would make more sense to make the next iPhone the same way they make the iPad. Make one that is WiFi only that could make Skype and Facetime calls and the other one that would have 3G/4G service. The phone could be used for any provider and could be used with a contract or month to month. This device would render the iPod Touch useless and return the iPods to the music devices they currently are. The new iPhone would give consumers a lot of choice. I'm one of those who uses Skype more than I do my cell phone. It's time to start the post cell phone world.

nicky89

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2011
Germany
It would make more sense to make the next iPhone the same way they make the iPad. Make one that is WiFi only that could make Skype and Facetime calls and the other one that would have 3G/4G service. The phone could be used for any provider and could be used with a contract or month to month. This device would render the iPod Touch useless and return the iPods to the music devices they currently are. The new iPhone would give consumers a lot of choice. I'm one of those who uses Skype more than I do my cell phone. It's time to start the post cell phone world.

Would really like to see that, too, but I think most people aren´t ready for this, yet;-).

stelligent

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2010
I wouldn't worry about the iPhone and iPad version #'s. Clearly Apple can't count (as in ICANTCOUNT). Scott Forstall said he was going to describe a list 10 iOS 5 features and then talked about like 15 of them: http://bit.ly/l49OYL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.