Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

itunes_10_3_1.jpg

Just a day after releasing iTunes 10.3 to support some early iCloud features such as automatic downloads and access to previously purchased content, Apple has already pushed out iTunes 10.3.1 via Software Update and the company's software downloads page.

The documentation accompanying the release merely offers the same information as found with the original iTunes 10.3 release, providing no word on exactly what is addressed in what is presumably a minor bug fix update.

A number of users in Apple's support forums and elsewhere have reported issues with syncing iOS devices under iTunes 10.3, with iTunes reporting an "unknown error (-50)" when attempting to sync. Consequently, it seems reasonable to speculate that the iTunes 10.3.1 update addresses this issue, although we have yet to receive confirmation from users.

Article Link: Apple Releases iTunes 10.3.1, Potentially Fixing iOS Device Syncing Bug

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
it's not showing up on my Dell yet. Also checked the iTunes page on Apple.com when you click on download there is not a download listed.

JackieTreehorn

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Amsterdam
Well, I like the 10.5 beta so I am sticking with that.

But unfortunately, iWow-plugin does not work in 10.5: never knew what a difference iWow made for my hearing experience now that it is gone.

Žalgiris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Lithuania

But unfortunately, iWow-plugin does not work in 10.5: never knew what a difference iWow made for my hearing experience now that it is gone.

DPS doesn't work too and i can't see what's changed. There is a good chance it has something to do with iTunes 10.5 being 64 bit cocoa on Lion.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
Well I checked for updates from within itunes and found none. But ran software update right after and it came up.

As with 10.3, 10.3.1 does not ask to enter administrator password to install.

I have a macbook running SL.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Žalgiris said:
JackieTreehorn said:

DPS doesn't work too and i can't see what's changed. There is a good chance it has something to do with iTunes 10.5 being 64 bit cocoa on Lion.

Except its not 64 bit or cocoa.

Edit. Just saw you said on lion? Really? I'm surprised there's a difference between lion and snow leopard!

Žalgiris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Lithuania
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Except its not 64 bit or cocoa.

Except it shows as 64 bit in Activity Monitor and has all corner resize, fullscreen mode and other things Cocoa apps have. There is no 64 bit Carbon, so the only option left is Cocoa.

Looks like it's a very fat universal binary. it not only has Intel/PPC, but also Intel part is 32/64 bit. 32 bit for Leopard and Snow Leopard and 64 bit for Lion. That's at least what i think is going on here.

Cinch

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
Software updates

I just love the way Google handle updating its Chrome browser. I just updated Chrome. It was effortless and took less than a few seconds to reload all my tabs. iTunes on the other hand took a couple of minutes, and to be fair it was no bother. But it just seems like an archaic way to update software today. For the first time I'm sensing that Apple is becoming more like the Microsoft of old and Google is small and nimbly creative like Apple was in 1998.

Cinch

Žalgiris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Lithuania
I just love the way Google handle updating its Chrome browser. I just updated Chrome. It was effortless and took less than a few seconds to reload all my tabs. iTunes on the other hand took a couple of minutes, and to be fair it was no bother. But it just seems like an archaic way to update software today. For the first time I'm sensing that Apple is becoming more like the Microsoft of old and Google is small and nimbly creative like Apple was in 1998.

Cinch

You know you can setup Mac OS X software update to check at specific times and when there are updates to download them in the background? They will be installed the next time you shut down or reboot your Mac. How is this not effortless?

If you give a damn about what is going on on your Mac you will remove Chrome and use Chromium which is using Sparkle to update. Chrome literally litters all over the Mac OS X and calls back all the time to the Hive for God knows what.

Google software update is the biggest malware i have seen.

dawnrazor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Auckland New Zealand
I did the 10.3.1 update - but in the "purchased" area of iTunes Store all I got was Apps and Books, no music. Tried to re-buy something on my iPhone and it recognised I had already bought it elsewhere, but it was going to charge me again if I went through with the transaction.

So I guess the iCloud beta for music is for US only at the moment.

Anyone else reflect this at all?

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
I did the 10.3.1 update - but in the "purchased" area of iTunes Store all I got was Apps and Books, no music. Tried to re-buy something on my iPhone and it recognised I had already bought it elsewhere, but it was going to charge me again if I went through with the transaction.

So I guess the iCloud beta for music is for US only at the moment.

Anyone else reflect this at all?

I believe it is US only, no music in UK either

jkool

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
The Evolution of iTunes 10.3.1

Steve:

"Can anyone tell me what iTunes 10.3 is supposed to do?”

Having received a satisfactory answer, he continues,

“So why the ******* doesn’t it do that?"

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Not sure if this is the best thread to ask this one in, but it only related to the new itunes syncing

How is this classed as cloud syncing

I buy an app, book or music on my mac
this is then automatically downloaded onto other devices from the app store

I dont see this as doing anything new in the cloud, its just automatically doing (and allowing re download) of things previously purchased

not a dig at it, it just doesnt seem to be storing anything in the cloud

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.