Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
App Q&A testing by request.
Well regardless, with quick support like this, I'm happy to support you with my $2.99. Thanks! Just picked it up.

^^ This especially is one of the things I like most about the App.

In my big report, I reviewed a bunch of apps. All of them I contacted directly with my report, some additional thoughts I didn't post on the forum, and links to my test files. Some of them responded with a curt thanks, some ignored me, some engaged in conversation with me on my thoughts.

Hustmobile has been extremely responsive to my emails, and active here in the forum. And boy have they been updating. As of now, the only vids in my test batch that aren't playing well are the ones there for extreme boundaries...HQ HD vids...

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
App Q&A testing by request.
About "Option to "Open in Goodplayer" from Dropbox app.", here is my simple testing result:
1. The latest 1.4 Dropbox app tested
2. It is up to Dropbox and the file format now for the "Open in" support
3. Four file formats tested so far, .3gp,.avi,.mp3 and .flv
4. Two possiblities for the "Open in": .3gp,.avi and .mp3 file formats are taken over by the Dropbox app itself, so "Open in" is not possible for GoodPlayer; the .flv file first will be downloaded by Dropbox app , when the download is completed, the GoodPlayer has the choice to "Open in" the flv file.

Dropbox does work fine with GoodPlayer from what I've seen.

for formats that DropBox's player can run, you need to first favorite the file. Once it downloads to your device, then the Open In window shows up.

A Dropbox tech explained to me it has to do with Apple not letting them be able to "stream" media.

First pic: unfavorited MP3..second, mp3 after favoriting.
gp1l.jpg
- - -
gp2i.jpg

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
What's New in GoodPlayer Version 1.8

1. Crop on Fullscreen mode added (the default is the older Fit on Fullscreen mode)
2. Improvements on built-in file manager
3. "Open in" support for srt,smi,idx and sub file formats
4. Media file formats support for m1v, m2t,mpa,mpe and dat added
5. Improvements on RTSP streaming playback

Translation help needed: if you want to help translate the GoodPlayer to other language (besides English and Chinese), we will provide promo codes for you. If you are interested, please contact by Email service@hustmobile.com

outz

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
ive been looking for a good player lately. bought it solely based on the reviews in this thread and the developers response time. thanks!

would be cool to have the ability to upload folders of videos via wifi instead of doing them 1 video at a time... uploading a season of something takes a while.

Last edited:

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
We are thinking of adding ftp server support in the future for this multiple file uploading feature.

ive been looking for a good player lately. bought it solely based on the reviews in this thread and the developers response time. thanks!

would be cool to have the ability to upload folders of videos via wifi instead of doing them 1 video at a time... uploading a season of something takes a while.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
What's New in GoodPlayer 1.9 Version
1. Playlist support: every folder is a playlist. Just move the files
to a folder, and set the "Settings"-->"Playback"---> "Auto Repeat" to
"All Files Loop". During the playback, the files in the folder will be
played back one by one automatically.
2. Better image quality, discoloration on the top and bottom of the
video issue fixed
3. Italian localization added, thanks Andrea.
4. A video distortion issue fixed

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
What's New in GoodPlayer 2.0 Version
1. iPad 2 dual core decoding support added. For iPad 2, dual-core of
A5 chip could be used to decode at the same time. The playback
performance of iPad 2 is improved greatly.
2. Motion JPEG(M-JPEG) video format supported
3. Clear all inputed URLs from list feature added
4. Slovak language supported, Thanks Peter
5. iPad 2 on iOS 4.3.3 tested. If your iPad 2 has issues with
GoodPlayer, please update your iPad 2 to iOS 4.3.3+
6. iPad 2 with HDMI TV-out and Video Mirroring tested. And iPad
1&iPhone 4/iPod Touch 4 with HDMI TV-out tested also. If you have
issues with HDMI TV-out and Video Mirroring, please contact us by
Email

Stangs55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2007
The Lone Star State
Quick feature suggestion: Add the ability to playback files at different speeds from 0.5x to 2x.

(I had to download AVPlayerHD to get this needed feature...but I've kept Goodplayer installed and will keep checking for the feature in future updates.) Thanks!

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Thanks for the suggestion.
However, since the application architecture, GoodPlayer is hard to support this feature. We will try in the future. But there is no promise for supporting this feature.

Quick feature suggestion: Add the ability to playback files at different speeds from 0.5x to 2x.

(I had to download AVPlayerHD to get this needed feature...but I've kept Goodplayer installed and will keep checking for the feature in future updates.) Thanks!

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
The multi-task support for GoodPlayer will come soon. Since the GoodPlayer supports iOS 3.2.x now,we need to find a right timing to remove the support of iOS 3.x.

If I switch to another app and go back to goodplayer i have to start the clip over again. :)

kikitusen

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2011
Hi! I really enjoy your app, but I'm having some trouble with the stream from my PC. I'd be really useful if someone can explain to me how I can make it work.
But other than that, is an awsome app. Keep up the good work.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
GoodPlayer 2.1 is coming, the MKV performance issue is fixed. 720P MKV will be okay for iPad 2.
For your streaming question , please check our online help. http://www.hustmobile.com/goodplayer/
And do not hesitate give us email when you have question, email address service@hustmobile.com

From online help about LAN streaming
#13 How can I play files that are located on a Mac on my local network, without running a steaming server, and without having to copy the file locally first?

It can be done by the HTTP or FTP streaming.

The Mac comes with built-in HTTP and FTP file sharing, so you need no
other streaming server installation. Mac -->System Preferences
-->Sharing---> Web Sharing is for HTTP.

Mac -->System Preferences
-->Sharing---> File Sharing --->Options is for FTP.

After sharing the files from Mac by HTTP/FTP:
1. Input the URL in the GoodPlayer, it can playback. URL example:
http://192.168.1.10/test.avi
ftp://username:password@192.168.1.10/test.avi
2. Write a web page with goodplayer:// url scheme,such as
goodplayer://http://192.168.1.10/test.avi
goodplayer://ftp://username:password@192.168.1.10/test.avi

Then open the web page from iOS devices, click the goodplayer:// link ,the files will be played back. Please note the FTP comes with password/username.

Hi! I really enjoy your app, but I'm having some trouble with the stream from my PC. I'd be really useful if someone can explain to me how I can make it work.
But other than that, is an awsome app. Keep up the good work.

Ko

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2007
Just bought goodplayer, and playing back xvid files on it, the quality seems lower than playing back with my laptop - was just wondering if the engine in goodplayer should have the same playback quality as using VLC on a pc?

One bug with Goodplayer 2.0 on an ipad 2: If I unplug the hdmi cable, it doesn't detect and keeps saying video playing on TV. I have to quite the app by going to multiasking and closing it and restarting the app to be able to get a video to play back on the ipad.

The apple video app detects if the cable is unplugged and starts playing video on the ipad.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
About image quality: the only difference that GoodPlayer with PC player such as VLC or mplayer is that the GoodPlayer does not have the post-processing module for video since the limited resources.

About the HDMI detection, we do not know if it is possible for 3rd app to detect the HDMI plug/unplug, we will look into it.

Just bought goodplayer, and playing back xvid files on it, the quality seems lower than playing back with my laptop - was just wondering if the engine in goodplayer should have the same playback quality as using VLC on a pc?

One bug with Goodplayer 2.0 on an ipad 2: If I unplug the hdmi cable, it doesn't detect and keeps saying video playing on TV. I have to quite the app by going to multiasking and closing it and restarting the app to be able to get a video to play back on the ipad.

The apple video app detects if the cable is unplugged and starts playing video on the ipad.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
What's New in GoodPlayer Version 2.1
1. MKV playback performance improved greatly. Now for iPad 2, 720P(1280x720) MKV/H.264/AVC playback supported
2. AAC audio decoding performance improved
3. Add back status bar(time and battery information) when the playback control is on
4. Polish language support, thanks Lucas
5. About HD (High Definition) playback support:
For iPad 2, 720P(1280x720) MKV/H.264/AVC playback supported
For iPad 2, 1024x576 RealVideo (RM/RMVB) playback supported
For iPad 1, 720P(1280x720) AVI/MPEG-4 playback supported
For limited file formats such as MP4,M4V and MOV, by iPod plugin(GoodPlayer-->Settings-->Plugin Setting-->iPod, Turn on "iPod"), the 1080P (1920x1080) MP4,M4V and MOV playback supported via iOS devices system hardware acceleration

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
The latest GoodPlayer version is 2.1 so far, please upgrade to the latest version if possible.

How to check the GoodPlayer version number?

GoodPlayer ---> Settings ---> Click top right corner button --->Email Feedback , the GoodPlayer version number is in the Email title

peelers

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2011
Thumbnails

Hi, love the new update, mkv play better I noticed. I was wondering for next update or after that if we could get like a thumbnail or like a cover flow of what the video look like instead of reading it by name? or even better let you pick what frame it will use for the cover and have a bookshelf type for movies/videos? and maybe build in browser will be in next update too :) ? and if it does have a build in browser if we COULD get download option to dl video for later view (youtube, or other videos we find on net)

thank you

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
About thumbnail, thumbnail caused some instability in development. So we do not use it. Someone suggested customized picture for file/folder showing instead of thumbnail , do you think this is a good idea?

Built-in browser, we started the working on it now. But it needs some time to complete. So it will take some time to be released for this feature.

Hi, love the new update, mkv play better I noticed. I was wondering for next update or after that if we could get like a thumbnail or like a cover flow of what the video look like instead of reading it by name? or even better let you pick what frame it will use for the cover and have a bookshelf type for movies/videos? and maybe build in browser will be in next update too :) ? and if it does have a build in browser if we COULD get download option to dl video for later view (youtube, or other videos we find on net)

thank you

peelers

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2011
thumbnails

About thumbnail, thumbnail caused some instability in development. So we do not use it. Someone suggested customized picture for file/folder showing instead of thumbnail , do you think this is a good idea?

Built-in browser, we started the working on it now. But it needs some time to complete. So it will take some time to be released for this feature.

Hi, if thumbnail cause problems. What about an algorithm where it go to net or something and get the movie or video info about the movie? like those fandangle and other apps that pull movies/videos dbase? or is that not possible? (when wifi or 3g avail of course) it just something to refresh our memory of what the video/movie is about or rating? that would be super cool :) wishful thinking?

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Is thumbnail support really such a huge draw? I would have thought with the iPads limited storage space,you are unlikley to be building up a huge library of movies on it. IMHO a simple list of items is more than sufficient but ymmv.

I would love to have the ability to browse network shares (NAS) though to pull down movies instead of loading them through iTunes file sharing. Streaming from these ahres would also be a huge draw for me.

alcinoandre

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2011
Portugal
Suggestion / Doubt

Dear hustmobile,

Congratulations for this great ipad's app. GoodPlayer is in fact a good player.
However lacks a good downloader inside the app... maybe in a future version, like you said.

Please answer the following question:

- GoodReader is able to download rmvb files but it can't play them; GoodPlayer is able to play rmvb files but not to download them. We can't transfer files from GoodReader to GoodPlayer but there is a feature on GoodReader to "open in" a different app.
Can't you register GoodPlayer as a rmvb player in a future version so it could appear on GoodReader when we select a rmvb file and push the button "open in"?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

peelers

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2011
Is thumbnail support really such a huge draw? I would have thought with the iPads limited storage space,you are unlikley to be building up a huge library of movies on it. IMHO a simple list of items is more than sufficient but ymmv.

I would love to have the ability to browse network shares (NAS) though to pull down movies instead of loading them through iTunes file sharing. Streaming from these ahres would also be a huge draw for me.

I was just trying to suggest ways to make the app more eye candy and maybe give more info about each movie. Thumbnails files size should be very very small anyway. How about view as Icon or List as a choice?

Ko

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2007
Hi, if thumbnail cause problems. What about an algorithm where it go to net or something and get the movie or video info about the movie? like those fandangle and other apps that pull movies/videos dbase? or is that not possible? (when wifi or 3g avail of course) it just something to refresh our memory of what the video/movie is about or rating? that would be super cool :) wishful thinking?

Programs like XMBC http://xbmc.org/ do a faboulous job of pulling in info about content - posters, thumbnails, ratings, description.

The source code they use to do this is gpl'd: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc so I figure it would be easy enough to resuse. It would be wonderful if XMBC could do something like this!

Another feature request: Goodplayer should really think about supporting the multitasking features in os4 and not worry so much about ios 3 compatibility! or support both somehow..

ragnakore

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2011

Just like PSP?
And who will create these customized pictures? the user? or the app automatically?
In the case of PSP, the user had to create the pictures manually and it is very laborious.

I prefer the app to automatically do it just like VLC for iPAD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.