Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 21, 2007
Does anyone have experience using the AVI adapter Apple sells to play movies on a tv?

Would the AVI cable be able to play Netflix movies I stream to the iPad 2?

I want to skip buying another AppleTV (have an old one that doesn't have Netflix) and a while a Roku could get the job done, I want to avoid having more devices, if possible.

Thanks

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I watched the entire WWDC keynote with the digital AV adapter and my iPad 2. It also works very well with Netflix and other video apps. Also, remember that if you're using an iPad 2, the cable mirrors everything to your TV so the app doesn't have to support video out.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 21, 2007
So you think the iPad would be able to sport a 32" tv with the cable?

And no issues with sound quality either right?

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
32 would be fine and actually size doesn't matter at all. Anything you see on the iPad 2 will be shown on your TV. I have yet to see any sound/video issues when using the cable. Of course, don't forget that the iPad 2 will only output 1024x768 to your TV so you will have black bars on the TV. This is totally normal.

iOS 5

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2011
Of course, don't forget that the iPad 2 will only output 1024x768 to your TV so you will have black bars on the TV. This is totally normal.

This is actually false. If an app has native support for HDMI out, it will show on the TV in native resolution. So movies in 16:9 on Netflix will show that way on the TV as well. If your TV is 16:9, there will be no black bars, obviously. You can always tell when someone is assuming what the answer is because they're confident but wrong in their answer.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
This is actually false. If an app has native support for HDMI out, it will show on the TV in native resolution. So movies in 16:9 on Netflix will show that way on the TV as well. If your TV is 16:9, there will be no black bars, obviously.

While I did leave that out, it's not false. Most of the mirroring you will do will be in 1024x768 unless the app/content in app supports higher resolutions. Same goes for games like Real Racing 2 HD. The game supports 1080p so the game will output to that resolution when using mirroring. Just because I didn't mention it, doesn't mean I'm assuming I know.

You can always tell when someone is assuming what the answer is because they're confident but wrong in their answer.

That's just laughable. You've got 2 posts on MacRumors and are already failing at calling people out.

Last edited:

taipan61

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
corner starbucks
i have both the av cable and the HDMI adapter and both are fine with both my original iPad and the iPad 2.
prefer the HDMI adapter just for ease of use

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
i have both the av cable and the HDMI adapter and both are fine with both my original iPad and the iPad 2.
prefer the HDMI adapter just for ease of use

Why is the HDMI one easier than the other? Don't you have to plug both in?

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
To the OP, you mentioned having an old AppleTV and not wanting to buy another. You can actually just about break even if you sell your old one on eBay and buy a new one. A lot of people like the old ones with HDs.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Why is the HDMI one easier than the other? Don't you have to plug both in?

It's a single cable to the TV instead of split audio and video. You also may not need access to the rear of the TV, since you can just grab a device end of any HDMI device and plug it in.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
To the OP, you mentioned having an old AppleTV and not wanting to buy another. You can actually just about break even if you sell your old one on eBay and buy a new one. A lot of people like the old ones with HDs.

That's what I did. iPad with remote app + ATV2 = awesome. Much much better than a cable hanging off the iPad.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
It's a single cable to the TV instead of split audio and video. You also may not need access to the rear of the TV, since you can just grab a device end of any HDMI device and plug it in.

I could see that. I'm already tired of plugging in my HDMI cable. Come on, iOS 5 with an Apple TV (2). I'm ready for wireless mirroring.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 21, 2007

Including me. ;)

I think my decision has come down to either buying a $40 cable or a $80 Roku (or something similar). To avoid getting more blackboxes under my tv, I thought the cable route made more practical sense, and it seems that it will play just fine from an iPad 2, yes?

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Also, remember that if you're using an iPad 2, the cable mirrors everything to your TV so the app doesn't have to support video out.
It doesn't mirror everything. Some apps, like Hulu Plus, actually block the TV mirroring functionality.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
You said it only outputs 1024x768, and this is a thread regarding a particular app that does support 16:9

I see. I was just trying to make it clear that when viewing most stuff on the iPad, it will be in 1024x768.

It doesn't mirror everything. Some apps, like Hulu Plus, actually block the TV mirroring functionality.

This is true. I've also read that HBO Go is the same way. Haven't tested myself to confirm or deny.

ZombieZakk

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
i have used the cable and airplay with my apple tv but be warned HBO GO and hulu plus are not supported with video out netflix works great though and most other video apps work.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Including me. ;)

I think my decision has come down to either buying a $40 cable or a $80 Roku (or something similar). To avoid getting more blackboxes under my tv, I thought the cable route made more practical sense, and it seems that it will play just fine from an iPad 2, yes?

I have an iPad 2, the HDMI adapter, Roku, and an ATV2. Trust me on this one. You will be MUCH happier getting the ATV2 than any of your other options for what you are attempting to do. This is one of those things where you wouldn't understand the significance until you actually tried them all. Then it all becomes obvious.

DizzyV6P

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
So I've got an iPad 2 and Wii that I can use to stream Netflix.

Apple TV seems very tempting, but at $99? $39 for the HDMI ipad2 plug, I'm tempted to just do the Wii and hope the resolution is worthwhile.

Any other options would be greatly appreciated.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
So I've got an iPad 2 and Wii that I can use to stream Netflix.

Apple TV seems very tempting, but at $99? $39 for the HDMI ipad2 plug, I'm tempted to just do the Wii and hope the resolution is worthwhile.

Any other options would be greatly appreciated.

The resolution won't be worth it. If you do end up watching a lot of Netlfix, I'd spring for at least the cable. I've got the cable and absolutely love it.

DizzyV6P

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
I tried the iPad2 with Netflix and it kept stopping about a minute or two into a movie. The router is a Verizon Westell 7500. Everything else I've tried doesn't have this problem.

Wii component to TV using Netflix, no hiccups.
iPhone 4 w/ Netflix, no hiccups.
I got the Netgear wi-fi adaptor for my Panasonic blu-ray player and no hiccups either.
Roku was returned because I couldn't get it to networked w/ the Westell 7500. Googling for answers to that problem was more trouble than it was worth.

But the iPad 2 has hiccups when watching Netflix. Any advice on what may be causing this? I have nothing else running in the background of the iPad either.

The netgear ataptor will probably be returned. It requires that you put movies into Instant Queue and then it'll pick it up. I blame the rudimentary blu-ray player GUI. @$60, I might as well spring the extra $40 for Apple TV as previously suggested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.