Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The City of Cupertino has responded to Apple's stunning new campus proposal. In the statement, Cupertino Mayor Gilbert Wong states "there is no chance we are saying no" to the new Apple campus. Apple proposal will still have to go through an environmental and a public hearing, but Wong says they are willing to bring on more staff to accommodate the process.

Apple's Steve Jobs spoke to the Cupertino City Council earlier this week about the new 4-story building which is expected to be completed in 2015. Jobs described it as a spaceship-like structure that will be able to hold 12,000 employees. Jobs also focused on the positive impact of the new campus which will increase the number of trees and landscaping.

Progress of the project can be followed at Cupertino.org/apple where they've also posted a PDF of Jobs' presentation slides.

Article Link: Cupertino Certain to Approve Apple's Spaceship Campus

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
Good news, should be a very impressive facility when it is complete. It will probably make SPECTRE look like amateurs at building hi tech HQ's!

Last edited:

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Was there ever any doubt?

And why is this considered Page One? It hardly warrants a fresh article… Couldn't you just tack it on to the bottom of the previous article?

adom

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2006
UK
This gets more and more cringe-worthy than the first video posted. Is it me, or do the council members for this city seem not fit for public speaking?

I mean, I've seen people aged 16 have more confidence and structure to a presentation!

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
This gets more and more cringe-worthy than the first video posted. Is it me, or do the council members for this city seem not fit for public speaking?

I mean, I've seen people aged 16 have more confidence and structure to a presentation!

I don't think he wasn't confident, but I do agree with structure and I see what you're trying to say.

This guy also really loves to NOT answer questions and side step them altogether. Most of his answers seemed hardly related to the questions asked. Actually, something about his tone makes me want to chuckle when he speaks lol.

Last edited:

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Painful

The guy is reading off of a prepared statement, presumably. Yet he can't say three words without throwing in an "uh", and he repeats himself over and over. If I were a resident of Cupertino I would be embarrassed to admit this guy ever got elected.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
They'd be fools not to. This will become one of the world's most iconic buildings while allowing more workers and business to come to Cupertino.

d0minick

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
Anybody familiar with California and underground parking?

Is it allowed? I thought, due to earthquakes, that something like that would be banned from the state. Any thoughts?

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Watching the PDF file: impressive ... And nice little "give back" to environment, new trees, less sealing of surface, good way to spend money.

saggyhaggis

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2008
Scotland
The proposals look pretty impressive, its almost like something out of the Thunderbirds (original tv series, not the crappy blockbuster).

Steve however is looking really frail and seemed to be quite breathless throughout his presentation. I do wonder if building work does go ahead as planned that he will be here to enjoy it.

Michael383

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2011
When this building is complete it will become a tourist attraction. I might even go and see it.

Thex1138

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Steve-Luc Jobs

Engage... :D

Attachments

• Apple - Galaxy Class.jpg
    Apple - Galaxy Class.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 726

pianomann

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2010
Sydney Australia
Interesting bloke, he must be the first American that i've heard have public speaking issues. That was a shameful effort! Once its built I recon it may warrant a trip to the US to have a closer look. Hopefully the Australian dollar is still hovering around its present rate in 2015 :D

Cheerwino

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2011
S.C.
Microsoft responds to Apple with new HQ design

Excellent Thex1138!

Microsoft responds with its own design:

BorgCube.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

iMacx

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2011
when I saw this heading i was like, "ya, no ****!" oh ya, did i mention: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident

Is it allowed? I thought, due to earthquakes, that something like that would be banned from the state. Any thoughts?

That was my first thought. But regardless if it is a tall parking structure or a basement of multiple levels, people will not make it if it collapses.

scottness

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2009
Room 101
Wirelessly posted (iPhone Dark: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8H7)

d0minick said:

There's tons of underground parking in Japan... Earthquakes have yet to present a problem for underground parking.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
They'd be fools not to. This will become one of the world's most iconic buildings while allowing more workers and business to come to Cupertino.

Apple's plans for their new HQ are very impressive, and I'm sure that this building will be nothing but awesome. But still, it is just an office building of a company that sells consumer products, and if an office building is described as "iconic", I can't help myself to think that we live in a sad and shallow time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.