Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ethical

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
is there any performance issues when doing such "system hacks"? what happens, when apple send out system updates? are all the "hacks" gone?

As far as i'm aware updates don't do anything to it. I don't see why they should.

The dock and various other icons (active application icon etc) are images. All you're doing is replacing those images with other ones....transparent ones, that make the dock look invisible.

If anyone wants a guide on doing something else, let me know...I'll see if I can write one for it.

espoo

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2010
When you installed Mirage, you may have selected to remove the active application icons. I can't remember the exact name for this, but try uninstalling Mirage, and then installing it again but making sure under the 'Customize' menu that you haven't ticked the active application box. You only want the dock to disappear.

it doesn't work. if i select "install dock", the icon lights are also away.

Edit: ahh now I've got it! thanks!

@Happybunny
share please? :)

Last edited:

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Awesome guide, thanks. I actually have a lot of these apps already but I guess I've never played with them properly.

Struki84

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2011
Hey guys!

I'm a fresh Mac user (a week or so.), got myself macbook pro 7,1 13" with snow leopard on it :). Anyway I'm doing some modifications on my desktop, I've been A linux user for some years so I know my way around shell scripts, editing config files and so on. There are some things I can't figure out, mac os is a closed os ,not much costumization to be done here, and coming from linux is a bit of shock to me, but not enough to ignore it completly, I'm giving it a fair shot. Any way, I got these issues, and I've depended on online help for years now, so I did my share of googling, and searching the net before deciding to post...

Questions:

1. I can't figure out how to change system font colors, not the ones on the menu bar (I got that covered), the ones on window titles and inside the windows, I tried TinkerTool and I can change font size and font style but not the color, Themepark is a bit unintuitive, so if there is a solution there pls let me know.

2. I've installed path finder, and used it's desktop for my shortcuts, but it keeps displaying this info about the files size witch I can't remove, can someone let me nove how to remove the size info?. The ideal solution would be to replace finder with path finder, and then use the finder desktop, but opening shortcuts from finder desktop in path finder is not working form me, I've tried this guide :
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20041129160952245

These are like top issues for me now, so any help would be great :D.

Btw te guide is great exactly what a new user needs, with all the replys this is my main source of info on mac desktop costumization, O is there a way to keep the dock the way it is and just to change the color of it, also is it possible to keep the dock on the desktop when there are no windows in fullscreen, but to hide it when u open a window in full screen?

Thanks for the oncoming help :D!

Simon

Shaneuk

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2010
Thanks for this. I've used geektool, but thats about it. I'm going to start fully customizing my desktop when I have time machine running.

ranviper

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2010
Adirondacks, NY
Hey thanks a ton for this guide! I have been "trolling" ;) these forums for some time now and been wishing I could use GeekTool like a lot of the others on here to customize my UI, annnnddd this guide kinda helped me figure out it's pretty easy actually. Again, thanks!

+1

Internal Fury

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
hey ive seen images of a bookmark like banner hanging from the apple logo on the tool bar anyone know how to do that?

Internal Fury

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010

Brotherjw

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2012
Menu Bar Fonts

I have searched for a way to resize the menu fonts on Lion. My problem is that I use a 48" TV for my monitor. My wife is a quadraplegic and can't' talk. We use the large screen for many things. Problem is I can't see the Menu from across the room. At this size the fonts look lime ants! I really need to get the menu bigger! I hope that someone can help me.

boogiebuddy01

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2010
Very good thread idea!
I've been Mac user for more than 5 years now and I never touched the look of my systems. I think it's time for a change. :D

I'd like to see how you can change the finder colours, like from silver to black.

ive been trying to figure out how to chang the dropdown menus black if anyone has a way i would love to know?

jerkoff

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2012
Deutschland
Sorry to bump an old thread, but maybe you guys can help...

wZ668.png

I need to change the system's button colors (close/minimize/zoom) in the title bar. Is there a utility out there that can do this?

Mandrake!

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2012

I need to change the system's button colors (close/minimize/zoom) in the title bar. Is there a utility out there that can do this?

You can make them all gray in general -> appearance in system preferences if you want.

jerkoff

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2012
Deutschland
No, I know about the graphite theme, but that's not adequate. I want to change the colors to ones I can select.

There's an old utility called Shapeshifter by Unsanity, but it doesn't work on newer versions of OS X, and they haven't replied to my repeated requests for information.

jerkoff

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2012
Deutschland

You can make them all gray in general -> appearance in system preferences if you want.
No, I know about the graphite theme, but that's not adequate. I want to change the colors to ones I can select.

There's an old utility called Shapeshifter by Unsanity, but it doesn't work on newer versions of OS X, and they haven't replied to my repeated requests for information.

If anyone cares about my question, I thought I'd post a followup where I found what I was looking for.

This answer at StackOverflow was very informative: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8170717/modifying-window-button-colors-in-mac-os-x

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.