Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iTunes-Logo-150x148.jpg
Music licensing agreements will keep iTunes In The Cloud and iTunes Match out of the hands of UK iTunes users until "at least" the first quarter of next year according to a spokesman for the Performing Right Society, a UK-based organization that represents composers, songwriters and music publishers in that country.

Quoted in The Telegraph, that spokesman said negotiations with Apple were in a "very early stage," and that parties were "a long way off from any deals being signed." A music executive at a major UK record label said "no one expects to see the cloud music service live on this side of the pond until 2012."

Vice president and research director at Forrester Research told The Telegraph "the UK arms of all the major record labels are biding their time and waiting to see how the service affects download sales in the US before they sign up to anything."

The wait for iTunes In The Cloud will be similar in other international countries. For comparison, it took 8 months for the iTunes Music Store to go international after it launched in the United States in October 2003. iTunes Stores in France, Germany and the United Kingdom opened in June 2004 with a further EU expansion following in October of that year.

Article Link: No 'iTunes In The Cloud' for United Kingdom Until 2012

Last edited:

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
...let the "this is such BS" etc. rants from the Europeans start...
not a rant but i would assume that apple had the right frame of mind too inform the lables what they were planning. Then again the labels can be picky swines

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
OMG SOMEONE IN A DIFFERENT GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATION WANTS TO LISTEN TO MUSIC! STOP THEM!

These are the same companies that have signed the deal in the US. It's this sort of crap that got the record companies in the position they're in. The US gets stuff 6 months to a year before the rest of the world, or course people download stuff illegally, they want to see it before the spoilers are all over the internet! There's no logic in not being able to watch or listen to something because of a border.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
...let the "this is such BS" etc. rants from the Europeans start...

And it isn't? Worryingly, Apple's treatment of it's non-US customers appears to be better than some other companies. - Google hasn't released Google Voice or Music or Books in the UK, and I can't remember if the Zune even reached these shores (although some might argue that was a blessing in disguise :p).

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
And rightly so? Why can't apple negotiate in several countries concurrently?

Money, they need to make sure it is a viable service in the states first. An international launch for a brand new product could be a disaster if it fails.

singhjeet29

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Canada, please oh please don't lag behind the US for a year or 3 like the iTunes store or Netflix.

I really would love iTunes Match!

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
OMG SOMEONE IN A DIFFERENT GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATION WANTS TO LISTEN TO MUSIC! STOP THEM!

These are the same companies that have signed the deal in the US. It's this sort of crap that got the record companies in the position they're in. The US gets stuff 6 months to a year before the rest of the world, or course people download stuff illegally, they want to see it before the spoilers are all over the internet! There's no logic in not being able to watch or listen to something because of a border.

Excellent post - it really is a crazy situation but I guess nothing the record companies do should come as a surprise any more!

chimpboy74

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2007
Scotland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Quite simply: Balls.

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
Thick bar stewards. They should be grateful for everything Apple has done for the music industry and jump on board eagerly.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I couldn't care less about it ever reaching the UK, this is probably one of the most boring things I've heard from Apple. I'll happily pay the tenner a month for Spotify to listen to what I want, and I'll use dropbox for my documents. Don't see the big deal with this at all.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I don't think it'd affect music sales much??? :s

As long as everyone doesn't start illegally obtaining their music then itunes matching it in order to get the legal copies I don't see why much would change. If anything I'd have though CD sales might climb slightly so people can have a hard nicely cased copy AND have a itunes copy for $25 a year!

Ulf1103

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I hope all the other functions will be available for the rest of Europe.
'Cause I'm from Belgium.

And waiting iTunes in the cloud, I can live whit that, not whit the rest.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Similar in Japan where we got Movies in iTunes not soo long ago. Seeing the marketing slide and after that the reality is often very disappointing.
I never really understand why I'm not allowed to get Simpsons in Japan via iTunes or Hulu. IP blocked. Stupid. As long my credit card is charged they should be happy to have paying customers. But what I know :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.