Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The amount of data it requires to use onlive is ridiculous. People are going to hit their data monthly caps in about a week!

Yup, that and the image is poorly compressed, lacks the colours and vibrancy that "regular" games have and only runs at 30fps 720p. All that for 400-700mb/hour.
Does it support surround sound yet? It wasn't when I tried it... sounded like 96kbps to boot.

kevinmmccormick

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2010
I am an avid OnLive user and this is awesome news. I have 15mbps FIOS and have a very good experience with OnLive. Picture quality is excellent and the OnLive controller is also very good. Well made with nice button placement. Having it on the iPad will be cool to say the least.

If you have the proper setup, then OnLive does add about a 40ms lag. For most games, this is very acceptable.

One thing to remember with OnLive is that when you are playing a multiplayer match, there is also an extreme REDUCTION and consistency of in-game lag (the one that is reported by the game on the leader board) by nature of the fact that the OnLive game servers (say, for Homefront) and the game clients are sitting right next to each other in a server room. In-game lag is almost always very low.

For me, I'm looking at a total lag of about 80ms for multiplayer games, and 40ms for single player games. You can decide for yourself if that is good enough for you to play. For me, that is totally fine and a quick google search for "average latency game" reveals many gamers playing in the same range.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's all coming together, folks. Stay tuned for more post-PC era goodness.

Those who only believe the words out of Jobs mouth, will be in for a rude awakening as he departs.

History has taught us that without Jerry Garcia & the Grateful Dead...it was mere months as the "Dead Heads" had no where to turn, and no one to think for them.

iFans today, are Google Android Lovers of the future.

PlipPlop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2010
I am an avid OnLive user and this is awesome news. I have 15mbps FIOS and have a very good experience with OnLive. Picture quality is excellent and the OnLive controller is also very good. Well made with nice button placement. Having it on the iPad will be cool to say the least.

If you have the proper setup, then OnLive does add about a 40ms lag. For most games, this is very acceptable.

One thing to remember with OnLive is that when you are playing a multiplayer match, there is also an extreme REDUCTION and consistency of in-game lag (the one that is reported by the game on the leader board) by nature of the fact that the OnLive game servers (say, for Homefront) and the game clients are sitting right next to each other in a server room. In-game lag is almost always very low.

For me, I'm looking at a total lag of about 80ms for multiplayer games, and 40ms for single player games. You can decide for yourself if that is good enough for you to play. For me, that is totally fine and a quick google search for "average latency game" reveals many gamers playing in the same range.

If you think onlive looks excellent you haven't seen games running on a real
PC.

fswmacguy

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2009
Wouldn't this service require a very high fidelity connection? I couldn't imagine playing something like this on DSL. Seems like users would need a very fast connection at all times.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
The Real News Here

I'm not so interested in OnLive so much as I am just in the controller.

A decent wireless controller that works with iOS devices and existing games would be fantastic!

rodriguise

macrumors regular
May 6, 2011
Sparks, NV
I trust you know that OnLive is the worst way to play games? It's not considered better than "PC gaming", it's a way for people with older/cheaper hardware to play new games.

In your opinion. Which fortunately for OnLive is meaningless. Onlive works great for me, my kids play the various lego series all the time with no issues. Sure it won't play Crysis, but last time I checked graphics still weren't everything. This is definitely a step up from Angry Birds.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
In your opinion. Which fortunately for OnLive is meaningless. Onlive works great for me, my kids play the various lego series all the time with no issues. Sure it won't play Crysis, but last time I checked graphics still weren't everything. This is definitely a step up from Angry Birds.

No reason why it would not play Crysis. The idea is that you don't have to own a great PC to play the latest games, as long as they are available on the service.

Expect anyone who invested hundreds of dollars on their PCs to regard OnLive with derision. These people feel like they have to justify their expenses by dismissing the cheaper alternative.

PlipPlop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2010
No reason why it would not play Crysis. The idea is that you don't have to own a great PC to play the latest games, as long as they are available on the service.

Expect anyone who invested hundreds of dollars on their PCs to regard OnLive with derision. These people feel like they have to justify their expenses by dismissing the cheaper alternative.

The cheaper alternative is rubbish compared to a decent pc though.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Those who only believe the words out of Jobs mouth, will be in for a rude awakening as he departs.

History has taught us that without Jerry Garcia & the Grateful Dead...it was mere months as the "Dead Heads" had no where to turn, and no one to think for them.

iFans today, are Google Android Lovers of the future.
How much does Google pay you to come here and astroturf for them?

I will not trade my privacy for "free" services. Android lovers? No thanks, I prefer women.

term1nal

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2010
ipad 2 flash not a problem anymore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnzZYFnxwPg

LOL using it as a conduit to bring flash this just gets better and better....This is really adding some weight to it. Cant wait for the Uk hook up (ive already registered my name think u better) n I can now see the point of actually going out n buying a tablet/airbook.
Ive played some more of the less taxing games today n im loving this more n more what this really needs is a hook up with apple/ isp for one giant super pass of iptv games n music ...... Would love the controller function built into an Apple tv with 1080p now that i would buy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnzZYFnxwPg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.