Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

macbook_air_2010_profile.jpg

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of Concord Securities today reported to AppleInsider that Apple's manufacturing partners are scheduled to pump out nearly 400,000 units of revamped MacBook Air models this month as the company looks toward a refresh of the popular ultra-thin notebook.
Concord Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo exclusively told AppleInsider that the Mac maker has placed orders for the production of a total of 380,000 Sandy Bridge-based 11.6 and 13.3-inch MacBook Airs this month.

The analyst, whose industry checks have long provided accurate insight into the Cupertino-based company's future hardware plans, notes that roughly 55 percent (or 209,000) of those MacBook Airs will be of the 11.6-inch varieties, which have proven slightly more popular than the 13.3-inch offerings due to their more attractive entry-level price points.
Rumors of a MacBook Air refresh in the near future have been circulating for some time, with rumors dating as far back as mid-February indicating that Apple was planning a June update for the line. Kuo weighed in in late April to say that Apple would begin production of the new models in May, while another claim from last month pegged the refresh for the June-July timeframe.

Apple's new MacBook Air models are expected to be powered by Intel's Sandy Bridge platform, a significant upgrade over the Core 2 Duo processors found in the current models.

Outcome:MacBook Airs did launch in July. We presume this report was correct.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Beginning Production of Next-Generation MacBook Air Models

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
Does anyone know what happened to the low wattage Sandy Bridge CPUs in the Air? Are they to be implemented after all?

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
THE MAIN reason to buy the MacBook Air 11.6-inch is NOT because it is cheaper, but because it is lighter and smaller. Apple should make an even lighter (400 to 600 g) and smaller (7-inch) MacBook Air.

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
Highly unlikely, but please have 3G connectivity built in!

3G and improved battery life are at the top of my priority list. Thunderbolt and a larger SSD are a close second.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
THE MAIN reason to buy the MacBook Air 11.6-inch is NOT because it is cheaper, but because it is lighter and smaller. Apple should make an even lighter (400 to 600 g) and smaller (7-inch) MacBook Air.

What about the rumored IOS based Air with touch screen?

They should make a 9inch macbook air with a removable screen which upon removed, BOOM! it's an ipad! sounds good for 1000$, right?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

What rumour is that ? We heard an ARM based MBA rumour, but I haven't heard about the touch screen iOS MBA rumour, especially now that Steve Jobs himself during a keynote said "Touch screen computers just don't work".

They should make a 9inch macbook air with a removable screen which upon removed, BOOM! it's an ipad! sounds good for 1000$, right?

Sounds like a rip-off of Lenovo's IdeaPad.

lenovo-ideapad-u1-hybrid-tablet-laptop.jpg

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
Highly unlikely, but please have 3G connectivity built in!

3G and improved battery life are at the top of my priority list. Thunderbolt and a larger SSD are a close second.

3g AND improved battery = current battery life. unless you disable the 3g and have even more battery left.

feflower

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2009
I hope they keep the Airs as a glorified netbook/typewriter--meaning that I hope they have even a cheaper 11" option with modest specs that are sufficient for wordprocessing and light internet use.

MBABuyer

macrumors regular
May 4, 2011
VA
So when would the new MBA come out? July?

If they are producing them now, when would they be released?

pixelbart

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2007
Zwolle, the Netherlands
No. 11.6" is the minimum size for a notebook with a usable keyboard. I think they can't go much smaller and lighter than this.

b.a.newbie

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2011
Huh? Wha?

If you have watched the keynotes, Steve et al. have pointed out (pun intended) that it is not ergonomic to have an upright touch screen.
And with that beautiful trackpad, why bother?

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK
Not really significant upgrade for me so still happy with my latest MBA. Waiting to replace MBP instead; next generation should be totally redesign and without super drive, which by the way was very "useful" for me.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
My credit card just leapt out of my wallet like a salmon returning home to spawn.

_Matt

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

This is reassuring news, especially for all those people making prediction threads every day on the subject.

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
3g AND improved battery = current battery life. unless you disable the 3g and have even more battery left.

the 3G would be disabled most of the time. Having it built in is just so much easier than having to plug a dongle into the side, or purchase a separate MiFi device.

I could Jailbreak my iPad and use that as a wireless hotspot, but I'd rather the simplicity of being able to turn the 3G on when it's needed.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I keep considering a MBA 13, but for the money, the MBP 13 offers considerably more... everything.

Then I wonder what happens to the MBA in the "major redesign" of the MBPs next year. You know they're going to try to thin them again. ...& at that point, what's an MBA?

Ijustfarted

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
kill the plastic macbooks

call the new airs the macbooks

would make sense since jobs said the airs are the future

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.