Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kentochan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
Virginia, USA
Like with many others, I think that 11" for the MacBook Air is a sweet spot. And also like with many others, I would think that 7" would be waaay too small. From the keyboard, screen, and, internal components, everything would be cramped and inefficient.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
Nothing too radical.
-Sandy Bridge processors
-Thunderbolt
-backlit keyboards
-upgraded storage or display options?

Probably will come pre-loaded with Lion and coincide with its launch? So many commercials/demos of Lion use the MBA for their hardware.

brucebrendon

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2007
UK
I definitely agree with that. :)

My one & only humble wish for the upcoming MBA refresh is that they all come with backlit keyboards. :eek:

indeed – esp as on black keys (or make them white?). might sound silly, but it's why i didn't buy. i've a C2D MB that has illuminated keys and would miss (the metal uni-body they phased out), and it still outspec'd it from yrs ago.

4MB RAM pls

Last edited by a moderator:

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
The future of Macbook Pro is to become a Macbook Air. By 2015 all Macbooks will be in that form factor. That was the grand vision all along.

I imagine the next re-design of the MacBook Pro will borrow a few design cues from the MacBook Air (e.g. tapered body). Looking at the recent designs of the MacBook Air, iPad 2, and iPod Touch, and Magic Mouse there seems to be a lot of that going on.

Especially if they remove the optical drive (and make it an optional accessory), I would think that opens up more possibilities for external design.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Well I missed the boat on this and got a 13" mbp a few weeks ago, replacing a 15". Not quite what I wanted, but I couldn't wait any longer.

I wish that the 13" mbp had the same screen rez and the MBA's do....

KYPackrat

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2010
The redesign is the MacBook

The future of Macbook Pro is to become a Macbook Air. By 2015 all Macbooks will be in that form factor. That was the grand vision all along.

I'll AOL this one. Thunderbolt gets us down to "one port to rule them all" in laptops. Apple can ship 2 laptop dongles, a TB to USB 2 port pass-through (not optional), and a TB to USB brick with an SD slot, gig E, USB ports, (possibly) Firewire, and a SuperDrive in it.

There will no longer a MacBook Pro, Air, or plastic. There is MacBook, in 11.6" to 17", all SSD. One power port, one TB port. That's it, that's all.

If they can get the Air in the right price range, and get the market to provide the needed TB adapters (SD card slot, Firewire 400/800, etc.), it's now time to kill the plasticBook. Release it as "MacBook".

If they makes the SuperDrive brick the right size, they can even make it stack below the Mac Mini, allowing it to drop the platters internally too.

Out on the limb way too far: the Pro gets replaced a cube-like box with a bunch of ThunderBolt ports coming out of it instead of PCI-Express slots. Think Mac Mini on steroids.

THE MAIN reason to buy the MacBook Air 11.6-inch is NOT because it is cheaper, but because it is lighter and smaller. Apple should make an even lighter (400 to 600 g) and smaller (7-inch) MacBook Air.

7 inch notebook?

deanshow.jpg

Good one!

Trian

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2011
Athens, Greece
Definitely no 7", waiting for the 13"

11" and 13" models are perfect at what they do and more than likely to compete with MBPs in their upcoming revision.

13" MBA over 13" MBP has two advantages:
1. weight (if you travel a lot like me)
2. screen resolution (1440x900 vs 1280x800)

Disk space isn't that much of a hassle. Methinks 128GB is more than enough for a pc that's supposed to be on the move... music, movies and all. Then there's tons of cheap and light 2.5" 500GB drives if you want to carry the kitchen sink with you.

Being a developer, the extra pixels are more important than a beefier processor (my main comp is a Mac mini with 8GB ram and it runs super-smooth). So far I was going for a 4GB 13" basic model, but now I can only wait to see what a mid-range config will be in the new lot :D (certainly more oomph for the same money)

I've been holding out on this about a month now. Good thing I read about the rumours just as I was about to head out to the shop to buy one :)

Bottom line: Apple... please... let us in on the specs and availability... I've been all over the apple-related sites ever since I heard about the update. At least let us know WHEN you're announcing it.

adammjenkins

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2009
West Virginia
My hopes: slightly better battery life (might come with the adoption of Sandy Bridge), backlit keyboard (50/50 chance), 4GB RAM standard (highly unlikely due to intentional differentiation between the MBA and the MBP). Because getting all of these seems farfetched, I may just snag someone's current generation who is looking to upgrade since I am would be plenty content with the current version. Now that I have a job with heavy travel, it'd be nice to have the full OS on the road with me. The iPad is great, but I keep running into situations where I feel a little limited, especially on longer trips of a week or more.

falcor87

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
I always thought it would be nice to see the MBA at 12.1". Obviously with the existing sizes that isn't really logical but I find 11.6 to be a tad on the small size and 13.3 to be massive.

That's a future I see for the macbook, instead of being the "value" mac it is. Shrink it to 12.1 with some of the MBA styling and stick to plastic to keep the price down. Paint it black (not the fingerprint inducing black from a couple years ago lol) and go with an unlit, possibly smaller logo. Then presto, you have your enterprise mac, and the macbook has a place to call it's own rather than living in big bro MBP's shadow.

Thomas2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
kill the plastic macbooks

call the new airs the macbooks

would make sense since jobs said the airs are the future
Kill the MacBook, yes, but do not change the name of the MacBook Air, and lower the price of the MacBook Pro models by 100USD across the board.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Backlit Keyboard or Bust......

Apple needs to re-instate the backlit-keyboard.

Then, only then, would I even consider upgrading.

cms2

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2007
Texas
I was really glad to see some "news" on the MBA rumor front. I have my trusty 2007 15" MBP, but it's getting a little long in the tooth. Definitely looking to upgrade in the next year, and if Sandy Bridge offers even a little bump in performance for the Air, it would certainly make it a contender for my purchase.

It would be ideal under its current specs, except that I plan to use it with an external display and I've read that some users have noticed some sluggishness using current MBA with external display. Maybe Sandy Bridge and improved graphics will help?

logandzwon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
What rumour is that ? We heard an ARM based MBA rumour, but I haven't heard about the touch screen iOS MBA rumour, especially now that Steve Jobs himself during a keynote said "Touch screen computers just don't work".

Sounds like a rip-off of Lenovo's IdeaPad.

lenovo-ideapad-u1-hybrid-tablet-laptop.jpg

Perfect, we'll call it "ilenovo iideaipad"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.