Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
It's a pretty big stretch to compare this to chrome. In fact I'm not sure why that was even brought up.

Lion can boot into safari only kiosk mode.

I also agree with the above poster sort of. It's not just about the risk but cost analysis. You'd have to be a pretty incompetent it director to pack in mega storage cheap x86 platforms (windows or Linux or unix) for a bunch of mini servers. Or work in a very very small environment. And be willing to move to opendns. And be willing to retrain staff. And be willing to have less backup solutions. And. And and.

That isn't to say osx server doesn't have a place. Creative houses. Small business. Add on servers. And fwiw my last three employers have been large creative houses with Mac backends. But the scope is limited. Your average company isn't going Mac anytime soon on the backend.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
If it's only available from the lock screen, my earlier questions are irrelevant, as are comparisons to Chrome OS.

inkhead

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2005
As I mentioned 6 months ago …
(with my usual inside source, that gives you guys plenty of intel)

Apple has a long term plan to build an operating system into the browser. Right now in their tests it's a mix between OS X and iOS. Long term the plan is to offer a platform that will make the browser a bigger download but allow users with any hardware that runs the safari browse to access the Mac OS X (apple) experience…

This is one of their longterm goals…

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Personally, I yet have to see the whole benefits of a browser-only mode or Chrome OS. I accept the argument that people might spend more time on their browser nowadays than any other application, but that does not make the latter redundant. I always end up multitasking while browsing. For me, an OS like Chome OS would be far too limited for me.

In spite of this, I am very thrilled to see what Apple's further intentions are. If Apple does this right, then the browser-only mode could compete with Chrome OS. Since Apple yet has to introduce all the features of iCloud/MobileMe, it may very well be possible that it includes e.g. iWork to work online, a feature similar to Google Docs. This could be very interesting.

dolph0291

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011
Huh?

Nope, don't see it, only standard "restart" "shut down" "switch user" "cancel". Running 10.7 11A480b.

E

erijkgabriel

previously posted link

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

This was actually an advertised feature. It was mentioned as part of the "find my mac" feature to trick potential thieves into using the Internet whilst stopping them from gaining access to any personal files.

+1

https://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/07/os-x-lion-developer-preview-4-adds-find-my-mac/

Ozzzz

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2011
Log off your user account, I think this is on the Logon Screen :rolleyes:

sigh i don't have a dev account

Well i've tried all of these options, but still i don't see the option "restart to safari"

- When i lock my screen i only see a logon-window... with a active screensaver... pretty cool!!!!

-When is logoff i only see a logon-window and three options

- sleeping mode
- restart
- turnoff

So i really don't get it.... someone with a good solution?

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
This is a very handy feature, I have a button on my Sony Vaio marked "WEB" and it boots up in just a web browser. Even has Flash on it.

Dont use it too much though, as my laptop only ever gets put into Hibernation, its only handy to use when I want to check something on the internet quickly, and the laptop has been shut down, but in that situation, 9 times of 10 I turn to my iPad.

Its more of a case of "Id rather have it and not need it" feature.

Last edited:

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
But on the main page it's just OS X Lion. http://www.apple.com/macosx/

Which is shorter? "Mac OS X Lion" or "OS X Lion"? That's why its used on the front page.

Clearly "Mac OS X Lion" isn't wrong if Apple PR uses it. "Mac OS" hasn't gone anywhere. Both are correct, one is just shorthand.

Also, http://www.apple.com/macosx/how-to-buy/, bottom of the page. "Upgrade to OS X Lion" and "Learn about new APIs and capabilities in Mac OS X Lion" right next to each other.

This is a silly argument. My point was to not be the guy that always wants to call people out for saying "OS X" (oh-es-ex vs oh-es-ten) "wrong".

Wontu

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2010
Which is shorter? "Mac OS X Lion" or "OS X Lion"? That's why its used on the front page.

Clearly "Mac OS X Lion" isn't wrong if Apple PR uses it. "Mac OS" hasn't gone anywhere. Both are correct, one is just shorthand.

Also, http://www.apple.com/macosx/how-to-buy/, bottom of the page. "Upgrade to OS X Lion" and "Learn about new APIs and capabilities in Mac OS X Lion" right next to each other.

This is a silly argument. My point was to not be the guy that always wants to call people out for saying "OS X" (oh-es-ex vs oh-es-ten) "wrong".
I just wanted to point out that Apple is inconsistent in their use, and that's probably the reason why the OP was confused.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
You mean like ASUS ExpressGate, which has been available for years now?

teekayx

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2007
can't find this option nowhere in osx lion :/
(and yes, i looked in the lock screen and elsewhere.. nada..)

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Great!
So when Apple will close the system completely, and we could install App Store Apps only, we could use the Browser only mode for Jailbreakme.com . YAY!

Think before you post. Why would Apple almost certainly alienate the bulk of a 50 millon+ user base just as it starts to experience its best growth, and risk throwing users to their competitors? With the improvements that Windows 7 brought to the Windows PC, and the introduction of the Chrome OS, they would be idiots to do this. Just more FUD.

Please stop your whining drivel, make rational decisions on what you ACTUALLY experience based on what Apple ACTUALLY does, and move to another OS if their business model doesn't suit your needs as a computer user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.