Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 12, 2011, 08:37 PM   #76
maclaptop
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0mth0ma5 View Post
Bit of a dickish reply even for Jobs.
I agree with you.
See the hypocrisy ... People get angry if I post a similar opinion of him. Speaking ones opinion on this forum is inviting an attack of the yes men.
maclaptop is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 08:44 PM   #77
Takeo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclaptop View Post
I agree with you.
See the hypocrisy ... People get angry if I post a similar opinion of him. Speaking ones opinion on this forum is inviting an attack of the yes men.
Could be seen that way but we're probably over-thinking it. Guy asked a question... Steve's busy and just said "yes". Done. As a CEO answering emails from complete strangers it's probably best to say as little as possible anyways.
Takeo is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 08:44 PM   #78
HitchHykr
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstarjoe View Post
Any suggestions for a not too expensive web hosting replacement?
Depends what you need but checkout GoDaddy.com, they are good despite their obnoxious commercials.
HitchHykr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 08:48 PM   #79
HitchHykr
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofthesedaves View Post
Just get another company to host your web site at a cost lower than MobileMe cost you. You can still use iWeb to design/change it. You just need to get someone to host it. That is very easy to do. You are not screwed. Did you really expect Steve to foot the bill for every Apple user to have a free web site? You get a whole extra year for free to figure out what to do next. Hell of a guy, that Steve is.
And we have a year to do it. Had Apple discontinued the service in say 30 days, that would be a different story.
HitchHykr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 08:49 PM   #80
Biscuit411
macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've got three different sites created with iWeb, two of which are hosted through MobileMe. I started looking for replacement services the day iCloud was introduced. Too bad... :-(
Biscuit411 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 08:49 PM   #81
zetsurin
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKFRIDAY View Post
What should he say exactly?

- We are sorry for taking this useful feature away.
- Please find another service that gives you this feature.
- I am sorry for this resentment of yours. I hope I can be more fair in the future.

Do you really expect Steve Jobs to write in each and every email he actually replies to?
Given that the sender's livelihood depends on the recipient, then YES. You fanboys are starting to sound like Apple ownership is some sort of honour. They are a business, they need to treat the customers like they are where the money comes from!
Old Jun 12, 2011, 08:54 PM   #82
nunes013
macrumors 65816

i wish they offered iDisk (with 20 gb storage), MobileMe Gallery (or iCloud Gallery ) and this hosting for maybe $25 a year. that would a great deal for most users. The 20 gb could be an add on to your existing 5 gb for 25 gb total.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 08:54 PM   #83
stevensr123
macrumors 6502

This is how the HTC CEO responded to many complaints from fans and customers of htc and android, about the locked boot loader policy they implemented:

“There has been overwhelmingly customer feedback that people want access to open bootloaders on HTC phones. I want you to know that we’ve listened. Today, I’m confirming we will no longer be locking the bootloaders on our devices. Thanks for your passion, support and patience,” Peter Chou, CEO of HTC.

Considering Steve represents apple, I would expect him to respond in a professional manner instead of the dickish way he normally responds to fans and customers.

The htc CEO realises without customers their company is nothing, it seems Steve thinks otherwise.
stevensr123 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 08:54 PM   #84
pkson
macrumors regular

So I'm assuming iDVD will become obsolete soon, eh?

Since Apple is trying to rid themselves of any tangible media, I guess so, but it was the easiest/simplest DVD authoring tool I've ever used, and I'd hate to see it go... I hope there's another way we can package videos similar to a DVD experience.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 08:55 PM   #85
ten-oak-druid
macrumors 68000

Why does this app need to go away?

iWeb can be used to create sites hosted in other locations than just mobileme.

Apple should continue to support this app for people who want to create a web site.

Unfortunately I think most people are just looking to post their stuff on social networks and the statistics are steering the development.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 08:57 PM   #86
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blorzoga View Post
I've had just about enough of those "yep" responses from Steve Jobs. The sender was obviously distraught about all the work they had put into their website, and all Jobs can reply is "yep"? He couldn't even throw in a "tough shiit, not my problem"? Lame.
Frankly I can't thinking that there is more to this than how it has been painted. "Yep" isn't really Jobs style. He's succinct but he is usually more clear with the phrasing. "iWeb is done" is more Job's tone.

If the headers are real then I can't help wondering if they were for a computer on the Campus and perhaps the one in Jobs office. But it doesn't mean he was sitting behind it. Could have an assistant who doesn't perhaps know the full score.

Could be that the answer was iWeb is gone, but no mention of the new program that will take its place. or no mention of idisk's successor. But the person reporting this to the site painted it differently.
charlituna is online now   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 08:57 PM   #87
Takeo
macrumors 6502

Well... right or wrong... we all know Steve is kind of a hard ass. Not exactly breaking news.
Takeo is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 08:58 PM   #88
rorschach
macrumors 68000

Nobody is getting "screwed" here. You will still have the iWeb that you bought. The only thing going away is Apple's hosting; you can find cheap hosting in a zillion places. iWeb will publish to any of them if they offer FTP (the only ones I've seen that don't are the free ones).
Old Jun 12, 2011, 08:59 PM   #89
azentropy
macrumors 65816

Never cared for iWeb. However, I'm still made they discontinued Claris Homepage!

I'm starting to worry about things getting left behind. For instance I have an old MacBook that I use as my "kitchen" machine. I just use it for checking email, web-browsing and other light things. It is an original MacBook Core Duo and will not be upgradable to 10.7 Lion. But still I would like to have my mail accounts, bookmarks, calendars, contacts etc. synced with my other Macs, PCs, iPhone and iPad which I have now synced with MobileMe. Seems like it is going to be left behind if they don't offer iCloud for 10.6.
azentropy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 09:02 PM   #90
e-coli
macrumors 68000

I know exactly zero people who use iWeb. It's the worst piece of crap site builder I've ever seen.

What we all want to know is, will MobileMe GALLERIES remain?
e-coli is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 09:03 PM   #91
*LTD*
Banned

Quote:
Major dickish way to ask a question.

Read it again.

Q: Dear Mr. Jobs,

Will I need to find an alternative website builder and someone to host my sites?

I have invested a lot of time and effort and the thought of re-training sucks more than mobileme ever did.

A: Yep.

Sent from my iPhone

Translation:

Dear Mr. Jobs:

Would you please take the time to answer my question.

*question is asked*

By the way, the service you created and which so many users paid for over several years sucks.

NOW read Jobs' response. All clear now?
*LTD* is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 09:04 PM   #92
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottness View Post
What was the problem with iWeb?
Gross coding with duplicate copies of every image, horrid iFrame for widgets etc. Not to mention limited customization of the templates with any level of ease, no support for keywords, searching etc.

What they need is a system more like wordpress, blogger etc and software with the ease of use (and an iOS app) that iweb was supposed to achieve but without losing the sophistication of good code. Wouldn't hurt if they had a feature to make creating mobile versions easier or even use HTML5
charlituna is online now   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 09:07 PM   #93
jackc
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-coli View Post
I know exactly zero people who use iWeb. It's the worst piece of crap site builder I've ever seen.
I don't know how Nixon won. No one I know voted for him.
jackc is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 09:08 PM   #94
Takeo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensr123 View Post
This is how the HTC CEO responded to many complaints from fans and customers of htc and android, about the locked boot loader policy they implemented:

“There has been overwhelmingly customer feedback that people want access to open bootloaders on HTC phones. I want you to know that we’ve listened. Today, I’m confirming we will no longer be locking the bootloaders on our devices. Thanks for your passion, support and patience,” Peter Chou, CEO of HTC.

Considering Steve represents apple, I would expect him to respond in a professional manner instead of the dickish way he normally responds to fans and customers.

The htc CEO realises without customers their company is nothing, it seems Steve thinks otherwise.
That is a much better reply... no question. But that's a very different situation. "Overwhelming customer feedback" is very different from one guy sending an email about - let's face it - an outdated stepchild of an app that very few people use. And I doubt the Peter Chou actually wrote that response. It wasn't a quick response he tapped off on his own to an individual customer. It was addressed to everyone and most likely written and/or vetted by their PR department.
Takeo is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 09:10 PM   #95
inkswamp
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Dickish? I think it's remarkably honest. He's right to the point, unafraid to say yes and no even when it's bad news. That's actually a sign of an honest person. A more direct and less circuitous response style tends to indicate a truthful personality. It's "dickish" only if you're overly sensitive.
inkswamp is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 09:12 PM   #96
*LTD*
Banned

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Anyway, Jobs always responds this way. Seems some of us aren't accustomed to it yet or we're new.

By the way, it's new Apple gear that counts and devs making money that counts, not a CEO's response to e-mails. If you're looking for form-letter boilerplate BS and empty platitudes then there's plenty of that to go around. At least Jobs doesn't BS in what appears to be his own correspondence. And frankly, most customers in Apple's market don't care either way. Just give us more damn Apple gear. That's all that matters.
*LTD* is offline   -11 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 09:19 PM   #97
mattwolfmatt
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkson View Post
So I'm assuming iDVD will become obsolete soon, eh?

Since Apple is trying to rid themselves of any tangible media, I guess so, but it was the easiest/simplest DVD authoring tool I've ever used, and I'd hate to see it go... I hope there's another way we can package videos similar to a DVD experience.
Well, for the next few years, anyway, you could always use iDVD 09 (or whatever the latest is). It's not like the software will stop working next year. It just won't keep getting "the latest and greatest" updates from Apple.

I still use Quicken for Mac 2007 and it still works with dates in 2011. As much as I'd probably buy Quicken 2012, what I have works just fine for what I need it for and I'm happy with it.

It sounds like you're happy with iDVD. Stick with it.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 09:19 PM   #98
foofan
macrumors 6502a

I hate to see iweb go. it had lots of potential for people who want to make a nice quick website.

as for his response it doesnt surprise me his response his a little cocky or rude. The person is upset about losing iweb. Steve is worried about his health. He is suffering from cancer, so why does he care about the schmucks who cant use iweb.

steve may lose his life from cancer and none of his billions will save him, just like george harrison. Jobs doesnt give a crap about any mac user
foofan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 09:19 PM   #99
ten-oak-druid
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by *LTD* View Post
Major dickish way to ask a question.

Read it again.

Q: Dear Mr. Jobs,

Will I need to find an alternative website builder and someone to host my sites?

I have invested a lot of time and effort and the thought of re-training sucks more than mobileme ever did.

A: Yep.

Sent from my iPhone

Translation:

Dear Mr. Jobs:

Would you please take the time to answer my question.

*question is asked*

By the way, the service you created and which so many users paid for over several years sucks.

NOW read Jobs' response. All clear now?
Very good point.

I think iweb will be supported still even if Apple doesn't host the site. And perhaps sites will be hosted on icloud anyway.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 09:26 PM   #100
altecXP
macrumors 65816

If they get rid of iDisk then I'll be canceling my account. I JUST finished moving all of my stuff OFF Google/DropBox to MobileMe and now this..

****ing Hell.
altecXP is offline   6 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion