Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:59 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iPhone 5 in Final Testing, Due in September

Apple was careful about managing expectations heading into the WWDC keynote. A week before the keynote, they spelled out exactly what they would talk about (OS X Lion, iOS 5, and iCloud) and also specifically omitted any reference to new hardware. We believe the reason for the candor was the public expectation that the WWDC keynote has always been the launchpad for the next iPhone.

iPhone mockup by blkr

Instead, rumors have been persistent that the next iPhone would be released in the September timeframe. Reuters detailed the timeline back in April:
Quote:
Apple Inc suppliers will begin production of its next-generation iPhone in July this year, with the finished product likely to begin shipping in September, three people familiar with the matter said on Wednesday.
Right on schedule, we are now hearing from 9to5Mac that the iPhone 5 has reached the final testing stage and should be ready in time for a September launch.

Their source must be based in Verizon as they claim that it's not clear when Verizon will support 3G FaceTime, and reportedly some negotiations about the details of over-the-air updates remain ongoing. Verizon iPhones have strangely been left somewhat behind in software updates, still only able to support iOS 4.2.8 as the highest version. iOS 5 will consolidate the codebase across all iPhone models when it is released this fall.

Article Link: iPhone 5 in Final Testing, Due in September

Last edited by arn; Jun 13, 2011 at 01:16 AM.
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:03 AM   #2
LastLine
macrumors 65816

This needs to hurry up - my 3GS is on it's last legs as it is ;-) An announcement date would at least let me know how much to spend on my 'get by till then' phone
LastLine is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:05 AM   #3
FoxHoundADAM
macrumors regular

That's a nice mock-up. I was going to do one until I googled iPhone 4 and called it good.

Regardless Apple will have to change something about the general appearance to "show" consumers" it is different. Doesn't have to be major but just something.

BTW if I hear one more 3GS user complain about being on their last leg I will scream. Try a 3G in iOS4.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:05 AM   #4
aa521490
macrumors regular

Sweet. Now I can retire my iPhone 3G.
aa521490 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:05 AM   #5
CallistoJag
macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

just in time for x-mas
CallistoJag is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:06 AM   #6
Peteman100
macrumors 6502

Verizon JUST got the iPhone and they're already trying to screw their customers....
Peteman100 is offline   -30 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:07 AM   #7
andrewh93
macrumors newbie

My 3GS is also on its last legs - time to retire it to the trophy cabinet..
andrewh93 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:09 AM   #8
Insolence
macrumors member

Hopefully they'll get rid of the Glass back.... Aluminum ftw. Maybe curved edges too? iPad 2 Style <3
Insolence is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:10 AM   #9
jimi78
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to jimi78
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHoundADAM
That's a nice mock-up. I was going to do one until I googled iPhone 4 and called it good.

Regardless Apple will have to change something about the general appearance to "show" consumers" it is different. Doesn't have to be major but just something.

BTW if I hear one more 3GS user complain about being on their last leg I will scream. Try a 3G in iOS4.
Does this have the thinner front bezel? Can't really tell what's different in this mock up from current
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:10 AM   #10
graham1971
macrumors member

Do they really mean the iPhone 5 is coming or are they talking about the iPhone 4s?
graham1971 is offline   -19 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:11 AM   #11
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Yay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham1971 View Post
Do they really mean the iPhone 5 is coming or are they talking about the iPhone 4s?
It doesn't matter what they decide to call it, but they are referring to the 5th generation iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteman100 View Post
Verizon JUST got the iPhone and they're already trying to screw their customers....
You mean to say that customers are getting screwed with each new Android that comes out every week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastLine View Post
This needs to hurry up - my 3GS is on it's last legs as it is ;-) An announcement date would at least let me know how much to spend on my 'get by till then' phone
Same! I want it now!
wordoflife is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:12 AM   #12
JoEw
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi78 View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Does this have the thinner front bezel? Can't really tell what's different in this mock up from current
edge to edge glass
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:13 AM   #13
cffry
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to cffry
Seriously looking forward to a Sprint iPhone in September. I'm due for an upgrade in July, so these rumors will hold me over until it's officially announced.
cffry is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:15 AM   #14
appleguy123
macrumors 603

Quote:
I think that 9to5Mac are stupid when they say it will be called the 4s. Apple wouldn't get their numbers out of synch again.
appleguy123 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:16 AM   #15
brandnewfunk
macrumors newbie

iPhone, WP7 Rock!

I love the iPhone hardware. And I know that 5 will not disappoint. Wish I could put WP7 on one, though .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

iPhone mockup by blkr
Apple was careful about managing expectations heading into the WWDC keynote. A week before the keynote, they spelled out exactly what they would talk about (OS X Lion, iOS 5, and iCloud) and also specifically omitted any reference to new hardware. We believe the reason for the candor was the public expectation that WWDC keynote has always been the launchpad for the next iPhone.

Instead, rumors have been persistent that the next iPhone would be released in the September timeframe. Reuters detailed the timeline back in April:Right on schedule, we are now hearing from 9to5Mac that the iPhone 5 has reached the final testing stage and should be ready in time for a September launch.

Their source must be based in Verizon as they claim that it's not clear when Verizon will support 3G FaceTime, and reportedly some negotiations about the details of over-the-air updates remain ongoing. Verizon iPhones have strangely been left somewhat behind in software updates, still only able to support iOS 4.2.8 as the highest version. iOS 5 will consolidate the codebase across all iPhone models when it is released this fall.

Article Link: iPhone 5 in Final Testing, Due in September
brandnewfunk is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:20 AM   #16
rkmac
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insolence View Post
Hopefully they'll get rid of the Glass back.... Aluminum ftw. Maybe curved edges too? iPad 2 Style <3
I personally love the glass back. In fact, I love the current design all together. Can't wait to see what Apple have up their sleeves though
rkmac is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:21 AM   #17
bb426
macrumors 6502

This is good news. Although, while I'm hoping for a different form factor (the current 4G seems sort of clunky to me, I never really liked the design), I don't foresee a significant change because of not only Apple's typical product refresh schedule but also from all the different rumors floating around and the fact that iOS has (arguably) not changed significantly from 4 to 5, which seems to also mark a hardware change if the software change is rather large.

Btw, nice mockup. Exactly the same as last year's mockup almost. Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandnewfunk View Post
...Wish I could put WP7 on one, though .
Terrible idea, to say the least.
bb426 is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:22 AM   #18
Kelmon
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to Kelmon Send a message via AIM to Kelmon Send a message via MSN to Kelmon Send a message via Yahoo to Kelmon Send a message via Skype™ to Kelmon
Didn't we already know this? I mean, it's well known that Apple always updates the iPod in September for the "Holiday Season" and that the iPod itself is now much less important to the company. This isn't so much a rumour as something you could reasonably bet your mortgage on. This is just the reorganisation of the product release schedule that has been predicted for a while now.
Kelmon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:23 AM   #19
santaliqueur
macrumors 6502a

I'll buy whatever they release, though my 3GS is still a champ. AND it will run iOS 5? I love it. If it only had a better camera.
santaliqueur is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:26 AM   #20
iNeedToDoHw
macrumors regular

I just know what steve jobs is gonna say at the keynote.

"Same GREAT Design, improved performance"
lol

i hate keeping the last year's design personally..
iNeedToDoHw is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:29 AM   #21
ben173
macrumors regular

so theres no front led light??????/
ben173 is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:30 AM   #22
Scottsdale
macrumors 601

I am far more excited about iOS 5 and the iPhone 5 than anything else Apple is doing right now. Lion looks great, but the features aren't all that revolutionary as just taking some from iOS and putting them on the Mac. The iPhone hardware hopefully including a World unlocked phone, better pair of cameras, A5, and double RAM would be incredible paired with the new iOS 5.
Scottsdale is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:36 AM   #23
Reach9
macrumors 68020

Great news! If all goes well we should be seeing lots of leaks next month on what to expect. Here's hoping for a bigger screen and a redesigned antenna, with a possibly curved back. C'mon Apple surprise us in a good way.
Reach9 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:39 AM   #24
ben173
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach9 View Post
Great news! If all goes well we should be seeing lots of leaks next month on what to expect. Here's hoping for a bigger screen and a redesigned antenna, with a possibly curved back. C'mon Apple surprise us in a good way.
tell me if im wrong but i think the mock up shows it with a bigger screen
ben173 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:40 AM   #25
Aduntu
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Comments like these just baffle me.
Aduntu is offline   15 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion