Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you plan to subscribe to iTunes Match?
Yep! I think it's gonna be great! 11 29.73%
Maybe. It's a little pricey but I'll probably do it. 9 24.32%
No point; all of my songs are from iTunes anyway. 6 16.22%
No. I'm angry that Apple doesn't support synchronizing songs I bought on tape in 1986. 11 29.73%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 13, 2011, 09:32 AM   #1
amethystjw
macrumors member

Will you subscribe to iTunes Match for $25/year?

I'm curious to see how many of us are planning to fork over $25 per year for the iTunes Match service, once it becomes available in a few months. Remember, this is the service that allows you to sync all of your music between all of your iDevices, including songs you did not purchase from iTunes.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 09:34 AM   #2
Hellhammer

Send a message via MSN to Hellhammer
I'll probably wait to hear how it works first and then if I think it works for me, then buy it.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 09:39 AM   #3
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to MacBoobsPro
You can upload your 'ripped' stuff anyway so what's the point?
MacBoobsPro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 09:44 AM   #4
Hellhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBoobsPro View Post
You can upload your 'ripped' stuff anyway so what's the point?
Upload to where? I don't think there are any services that let you upload them for free.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 09:47 AM   #5
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellhammer View Post
Upload to where? I don't think there are any services that let you upload them for free.
Could of sworn Jobs said 'Or you can upload them yourself'.
MacBoobsPro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 09:47 AM   #6
DeaconGraves
macrumors 65816

I probably won't make the move immediately (will wait for all the bugs to shake out), but I'll definitely use this at some point.

About half my music library comes from CDs so it will be nice to have those available to stream.
DeaconGraves is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 09:48 AM   #7
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
The iCloud page says that if you have a song that they aren't able to match, you can upload it. It's not clear to me on if you can only upload songs they don't have, though. i.e. if you have a ripped version that they offer in iTunes Match, if you chose not to subscribe, can you upload it?

Personally, I'll make the decision when the service is available and its hows me how much of my library will be available via iTunes Match. Then I'll decide.

Quote:
Since there are more than 18 million songs in the iTunes Store, most of your music is probably already in iCloud. All you have to upload is what iTunes can’t match.
http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 09:50 AM   #8
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
The iCloud page says that if you have a song that they aren't able to match, you can upload it. It's not clear to me on if you can only upload songs they don't have, though. i.e. if you have a ripped version that they offer in iTunes Match, if you chose not to subscribe, can you upload it?

Personally, I'll make the decision when the service is available and its hows me how much of my library will be available via iTunes Match. Then I'll decide.
Heres the text from the website:

"Hereís how it works: iTunes determines which songs in your collection are available in the iTunes Store. Any music with a match is automatically added to your iCloud library for you to listen to anytime, on any device. Since there are more than 18 million songs in the iTunes Store, most of your music is probably already in iCloud. All you have to upload is what iTunes canít match. Which is much faster than starting from scratch. And all the music iTunes matches plays back at 256-Kbps iTunes Plus quality ó even if your original copy was of lower quality"
Old Jun 13, 2011, 09:52 AM   #9
DeaconGraves
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I think that refers to any songs that Apple does not have a copy of on its store. So for example if there's an indie artist you have a few CDs for that don't exist on the iTunes store, Apple will upload those for you to stream.

But as far as I know that still falls under the $25 plan. I think the three options that Steve gave for non-iTunes store tracks were 1) sync them via cable or Wifi with iTunes; 2) re-buy the songs; or 3) iTunes match.
DeaconGraves is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 09:52 AM   #10
petvas
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to petvas Send a message via MSN to petvas
When it comes to Germany I will probably get the subscription. The problem is that I don't see it coming till the end of 2012..
Old Jun 13, 2011, 09:54 AM   #11
Hellhammer

Quote:
Yeah, but your post makes no sense. You have to pay 25$ anyway to be able to upload your own songs.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 09:57 AM   #12
amethystjw
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petvas View Post
When it comes to Germany I will probably get the subscription. The problem is that I don't see it coming till the end of 2012.
Doh! When I thought of creating this poll initially, I planned to include an option saying "Only if I haven't forgotten all about the service by the time it's available in my country." Oops.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 09:57 AM   #13
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603

Quote:
Yeah, but your post makes no sense. You have to pay 25$ anyway to be able to upload your own songs.
Oh yeh. I thought it was an odd thing for Apple to do. lol. Well I wont be buying it and I have a lot of stuff not found on iTunes.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:09 AM   #14
Rodimus Prime
Banned

nope. I call it a rip off when I have free services like Google music and Amazon Cloud that do the same thing.
Rodimus Prime is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:14 AM   #15
InuNacho
macrumors 6502a

Where is the "No I have an iPod Classic" option?
InuNacho is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:16 AM   #16
Dagless
macrumors Core

Nope. I'm not angry at Apple not having my tapes on iTunes but they don't have my music. I also don't need the music sync service of iCloud - I just want the rest of it.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:27 AM   #17
amethystjw
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
nope. I call it a rip off when I have free services like Google music and Amazon Cloud that do the same thing.
Actually, those are streaming services. iTunes Match is a sync service. They're fundamentally different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuNacho View Post
Where is the "No I have an iPod Classic" option?
Yeah, I thought about adding that but figured non-iOS device users would not be interested in the service. Technically though, it would still be useful for you because you can use it to easily sync your music between your various computers.

Last edited by Mitthrawnuruodo; Jun 13, 2011 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Merging posts, please use MULTIQUOTE and/or EDIT...
amethystjw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:36 AM   #18
benthewraith
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to benthewraith Send a message via MSN to benthewraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by amethystjw View Post
I'm curious to see how many of us are planning to fork over $25 per year for the iTunes Match service, once it becomes available in a few months. Remember, this is the service that allows you to sync all of your music between all of your iDevices, including songs you did not purchase from iTunes.
Where's the option for "no, I don't want to spend the money?"
benthewraith is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:40 AM   #19
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

I probably won't, but I'm going to wait and see some reviews before I decide.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:43 AM   #20
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
Unless your library is less than 5GB, you can scratch Amazon off as being a free alternative to iTunes Match. If your library is 5,000 songs (15GB @ 3MB/song), Amazon will be 2x more expensive than iTunes Match. At 20,000 songs (60GB @ 3mb/song), Amazon will be 4x more expensive. And Google hasn't committed to a price-point once the service is free.
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:43 AM   #21
ratzzo
macrumors 6502a

Haha, I love the last option in the poll!

I personally think the whole idea is to pay 25$/yr just to have a digital system organize your stuff. I can do that on my own as long as I keep myself organized so that I don't have to sync 2000 songs all of a sudden. The only use I would get out of it is to upgrade the sound quality on all my music, use the service for a year while I'm at it and quit when the subscription ends.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:48 AM   #22
GimmeSlack12
macrumors 603

"Too Pricey?"

Are you kidding? $25 for the whole year is nothing. I'm definitely interested but just need a proper review to see how the service works. After that, yeah I'm on board.

BTW your poll options aren't very good.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:49 AM   #23
benhollberg
macrumors 68020

I'll wait to see how it is. I may just buy everything on iTunes. I can't think of more than one-hundred songs that I haven't got from iTunes and I think it would just be better to go through and buy all them.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:54 AM   #24
OllyW

We don't even know when or if it's going to be available here.

If it does make it here sometime next year at least we'll be able to see how it pans out in the US first. I won't be surprised if we get a fair few "iTunes Match has deleted all of my music" type posts when it first comes on-line.
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:07 AM   #25
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
Unless your library is less than 5GB, you can scratch Amazon off as being a free alternative to iTunes Match. If your library is 5,000 songs (15GB @ 3MB/song), Amazon will be 2x more expensive than iTunes Match. At 20,000 songs (60GB @ 3mb/song), Amazon will be 4x more expensive. And Google hasn't committed to a price-point once the service is free.
You really should look at Google. Google chances are will be free for a VERY VERY long time and will still be a hell of a lot cheaper than Apple.

Also would like to point out most people library is under 5 gigs.
That and Apples is not going to be really cross platform. It has to run on iTunes or iOS device.

Last edited by Rodimus Prime; Jun 13, 2011 at 11:12 AM.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Tags
itunes match, match, poll, subscribe, sync