Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

094654-mba.jpg

A brief Reuters report relays information from Taiwan's Economic Daily that claims that the new MacBook Air will go on sale in late June.

The paper seems to cite the same production numbers from an analyst report earlier this week, but adds the "late June" timeframe for launch.

The new Sandy Bridge-based MacBook Airs have been rumored to be coming in the June-July timeframe.

Article Link: New MacBook Air to Launch at End of June?

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
so much speculation for a CPU (thanks to Intel) refresh.

what apple engineers doing?

crazy just crazy ...

any tuesday starting tomorrow, stop the press!!!

buyer's guide https://buyersguide.macrumors.com// with so many "do not buy"

apple hurry up already, please do not hold the tech advancement ...

strabes

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

All of these Air rumors are killing me! Come on Apple, just release this thing so I can give you all my money.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

All of these Air rumors are killing me! Come on Apple, just release this thing so I can give you all my money.
This.

I wish I could cryogenically freeze myself until this damn thing is released. The anticipation is giving me heart murmurs

jmlg

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2007
Peoria, AZ
Wouldn't it make sense to hold this refresh until Lion ships? Would seem like a great machine to showcase 10.7.

dawnrazor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Auckland New Zealand
Seems like a better timeframe, however.... I still reckon closer to Lion release is more likely, if not just afterwards so it ships with Lion installed... that would seem to make a degree of sense...

hadleydb

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Henderson, NV
Seems like a better timeframe, however.... I still reckon closer to Lion release is more likely, if not just afterwards so it ships with Lion installed... that would seem to make a degree of sense...

I totally agree with you. I bet the MBA comes around the time of Lion's release or after. You never know though. A $29 price point and Mac App Store may ruin our theory.

cassians

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
For the 1000000th time...Lion is free for any macs purchased from now until its release (whenever in July). You won't have to pay the $29

It would make more sense for Apple to release the MBA's first, then Lion later, so they have two great announcements, instead of just one.

wetrix

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2006
Auckland, New Zealand
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah but it sucks to not have the latest OS installer on the bundled usb drive. I'd rather wait and be able to clean reinstall to Lion. It's just an OCD thing though

dawnrazor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Auckland New Zealand
For the 1000000th time...Lion is free for any macs purchased from now until its release (whenever in July). You won't have to pay the $29

It would make more sense for Apple to release the MBA's first, then Lion later, so they have two great announcements, instead of just one.

Thanks. Was already aware of this nugget, still doesn't effect my expectation that the MBA will be launched with Lion pre-loaded, this makes even more sense if you subscribe to the relatively minor CPU upgrade and maybe a thunderbolt port. Suddenly it looks a bit more flash if it's also got Lion pre-installed...

I'm just saying is all, I certainly don't mind waiting if this is going to be the case:D

caspersoong

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2011
Wonder how thin it will be. If it doesn't get thinner, I think many people will be seriously disappointed at Apple losing the Job's Rule.

Sanjutsi

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011

Please please allow room for 512Gb sdd hd and 8gb memory in the new air *prays*

endhalf

macrumors regular
May 24, 2011
These rumors are killing me... "yo, dude, MBA will be announced on WWDC" - "yo, dude, MBA will be released next week" - "yo, dude, MBA WILL BE released next week, this time for real yo" - "yo, dude, MBA will be released..."

How do we actually know that new MBAs are on the way? :D

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Wonder how thin it will be. If it doesn't get thinner, I think many people will be seriously disappointed at Apple losing the Job's Rule.

Mac design changes happen once every few years. This new refresh won't be any thinner than what it is today.

wetrix

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2006
Auckland, New Zealand
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Icaras said:

Mac design changes happen once every few years. This new refresh won't be any thinner than what it is today.

Indeed, there won't be any announcement, just a silent refresh.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
How about MBA released late June with Lion preinstalled, only machines running Lion for a week or so, making people even more excited about getting one :D.

I'm still pretty stoked with the C2D one I've had for 7 months and I reckon IB next year is going to be the first time for looking at anything as an upgrade. My '08 15" can also do Lion, so double forward looking!

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
Wouldn't it make sense to hold this refresh until Lion ships? Would seem like a great machine to showcase 10.7.

I hear this line of thinking again and again.

I've been a geeky observer of Apple for two decades and I can never remember them deliberately delaying a hardware release to coincide with a software release.

They operate on their own separate tracks. If they held off hardware releases pending a new system software release, then what would they do if a late beta copy of the system software suddenly showed up a big problem ... then they'd be holding up the hardware line until that software glitch got ironed out.

Instead, they release product lines on their own schedule, and if it happens to be close to, or right in line with a major system software release, they may give you a drop-in disk, or maybe a lower upgrade price.

This whole "They will wait til Lion to release the new Macbook Air" line of thinking is dumb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.