Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Reuters and Engadget reports that Nokia has entered into a patent license agreement with Apple. From the press release:
Nokia announced that it has signed a patent license agreement with Apple. The agreement will result in settlement of all patent litigation between the companies, including the withdrawal by Nokia and Apple of their respective complaints to the US International Trade Commission.

The financial structure of the agreement consists of a one-time payment payable by Apple and on-going royalties to be paid by Apple to Nokia for the term of the agreement. The specific terms of the contract are confidential.
Nokia first filed a patent suit against Apple in October 2009 and the dispute has escalated since then with the two companies filing multiple new claims against each other. This should end one of the Apple's biggest patent disputes, but many others remain active.

Article Link: Nokia Enters Into Patent License Agreement with Apple

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Unexpected, but good I guess. Seems like this will help Apple more then Nokia in the short term. IF Nokia somehow comes back to life with it's WP7 push, then it might hurt Apple a little in the long run. Considering how fast this whole sector is moving most of these patents might just be worthless in 5 years anyway.

macsamillionjoe

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2011
Amazing how the apple fanboys bash samsung and other companies for "stealing ideas" but fail to realize apple itself took something from another company...:confused:

jca666us

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2005
Nokia likely raised the white flag...

I see that Apple didn't license their patents to Nokia.

I'd guess that this settlement was Nokia's idea - possibly to take Apple's original offer of fair and reasonable payment for access to nokia's patents.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
OK, so Apple therefore admitted that they were wrong. Now lets hear from LTDs of this forum how they are going to spin this. They have been claiming all along that Apple was the "innovator" here and Nokia was in the wrong.

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
If MS buys Nokia Apple would not need to pay a fee, maybe something is up.

Apple always wanted to pay, the dispute was about the price of the royalties.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Great that Nokia is wise enough to avoid losing the lawsuit which was highly probable.

If this was highly probable then Apple must be the idiots here. Why would they agree to pay Nokia otherwise?

Its weird that Nokia did not license any Apple patents.... however that said I bet the whole deal would have ended in a M.A.D. situation.

Apple has very few patents and most of those are useless. It appears that there has never been the case where Apple would be able to sue someone in court for use of their patent and win. Their patents usually get invalidated by courts because of prior arts or being too obvious.

celo48

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2010
Wrong again. Nokia sells much more cell phones (and more smart phones) than Apple.

Yes, yes I know they still sell the most phones in the world. 1000 million models of phones and cheap. Duh, of course they will sell the most phones. Who cares? They suck Apple's ass with smartphones.

celo48

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2010
Let him be.. He probably doesn't even realize that people use cell phones outside of the U.S.. Hence why he doesn't know anything about Nokia..

I used to own ALL Nokia phones all my life until Apple came in the picture. Not to mention I may be living in US but I have seen from Addis Ababa to Dubai, from Paris to Prague. I would not talk about knowing things out of US if I were you.

Jerome Morrow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
United Kingdom
OK, so Apple therefore admitted that they were wrong. Now lets hear from LTDs of this forum how they are going to spin this. They have been claiming all along that Apple was the "innovator" here and Nokia was in the wrong.

More likely Nokia cowered under pressure of Apple's patents and Apple was willing to pay from the start, just not the insane amount Nokia wanted. So what's your point here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.