Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the explosive growth of Facebook and Twitter, social networking has been the biggest trend in the recent years. Apple has already tried delve into this market a bit with its iTunes network Ping, though with limited success.

Based on a new patent application published today, it seems Apple has been exploring far more ambitious attempts using the iPhone, location-based services and interest matching. The result is the possibility that your iPhone could find you your next friend, business partner or date. Apple sets up the scenario in the patent filing:
Social networks are a well known phenomenon, and various electronic systems to support social networking are known. Growing a social network can mean that a person needs to discover like-minded or compatible people who have similar interests or experiences to him or her. Identifying like-minded people, however, often requires a substantial amount of and time and effort because identifying new persons with common interests for friendships is difficult. For example, when two strangers meet, it may take a long and awkward conversation to discover their common interests or experiences.
So, instead of "awkward conversation", Apple proposes that individuals' interests can be determined manually by questionnaires (interests, books, etc...) but also automatically by mining various data found in their iPhone device. You will be able to find others in your immediate vicinity that might match your interests and introduce yourself to them through your iPhone.
Common interests and experiences of two or more users located close to each other can be identified from content, including automatically created usage data of the mobile devices. Usage data of a mobile device can be created based on activities performed on the mobile device (e.g., songs downloaded), a trajectory of the mobile device (e.g., places traveled), or other public data available from the mobile device (e.g., pictures shared).
Of course, all this would be opt-in only to avoid any privacy concerns. For example. GPS tracking could identify people who have traveled to the same locations. Phone numbers and contacts can be compared, as well as common bookmarks or games played on device. Overall the application is a fascinating read. They even suggest that facial recognition features could be used to identify common contacts.

Now, patent applications tend to be overambitious descriptions of what could be, and Apple is known to dabble in various areas that they don't necessarily plan on pursuing. That said, location-services and social network are rapidly growing markets, so it wouldn't be surprising for Apple to make some efforts in those areas. In fact, we've already seen references to a "Find My Friends" features in developer builds of iOS.

Article Link: Apple Researching How the iPhone Can Help You Make New Friends

Zedsdead185

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
UK
have no friends? theres an app for that...

I can't actually seriously see them implementing this... surely not.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
This sounds very creepy. I can't see anyone actually wanting to opt into this so I hope Apple have their developers spending time doing more useful work than trying to implement this.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
I quite like this idea as an opt in extra.. It could make breaking the ice at random social gatherings interesting.

Its not that different to signing in to locations on Facebook and seeing who else is there, just a lot less hassle. Not useful most of the time, but occasionally could be very handy if implemented well.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

iStalker.

a trajectory of the mobile device

You can throw your iPhone at someone and that can indicate you don't want to friend them.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I quite like this idea as an opt in extra.. It could make breaking the ice at random social gatherings interesting.

Its not that different to signing in to locations on Facebook and seeing who else is there, just a lot less hassle. Not useful most of the time, but occasionally could be very handy if implemented well.

As creepy as it sounds, there are definitely some interesting location-based ideas out there. I mean at a party it might be nice to know who is there or not. It also might be nice to get a roster of names and faces, if everyone had a profile.

Also there are other apps that try to let people hold a chat room or conversation in the background. It's all very interesting stuff. Not sure how well Apple would do with it.

arn

yourstation

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's just a patent people, not an actual product. Apple will always go way beyond in a patent to cover all possibilities until more realistic applicable uses that rely on the patent emerge.

The Mad Mule

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
I don't think that portrait helps to defeat the stereotype that nerds and geeks don't know what a girl is/looks like.

johnvr

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2010
Facebook will do it first...

Yes, it's way creepy. That's why Facebook will implement it first and without asking us.

Then when the privacy advocates start complaining, they give you a complicated opt out that nobody understands.

This whole trend is not so much about helping people, but about mining our interests for money.

Might be that I'm just overreacting after seeing a garbage truck advertising the municipal garbage collector's Facebook page. I mean ???????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.