Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

YouTube user InfoZenn has posted a very nice walkthrough of iOS 5 on an iPad. Amongst many of the new features, he also shows off some of the new multi-touch gestures that were originally tested in iOS 4.3. Swiping can be used to switch applications (left/right) or to bring up the multitasking bar (up). Pinching with four or five fingers can also be used to return to the home screen. iOS 5 is due for release sometime this fall.

Article Link: Video of iOS 5 Demoed on iPad

BLACKFRIDAY

macrumors regular
May 23, 2011
Please take the responsibility of converting videos from Flash as not everybody has flash installed their machines or iOS devices?

Thanks

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Please take the responsibility of converting videos from Flash as not everybody has flash installed their machines or iOS devices?

Thanks

This video works fine on iOS devices. YouTube also serves up non-flash content if you have things configured properly.

arn

silusesMac

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010

Thanks

Theres a great web browser in the app store that detects flash video on your iOS device and it will be converted so that you can watch it, its a must need app called "Sky Fire"

strabes

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Great video. iOS 5 is going to be a great release!

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
This video works fine on iOS devices. YouTube also serves up non-flash content if you have things configured properly.

arn

I think you have to try to get youtube to not work on an iOS device.

That being said, iOS 5 looks great. Never having to use the home button = win.

Theres a great web browser in the app store that detects flash video on your iOS device and it will be converted so that you can watch it, its a must need app called "Sky Fire"

This post brought to you by Sky Fire mobile browser for iOS.

Last edited:

silusesMac

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
I seriously do hope that with iOS 5, the output size while mirroring to a TV, will be bigger preferably wide screen, those black bars on the sides really do bug me.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Thanks for the video demo! Can’t wait for fall. Those gestures will encourage me to use multi-app workflows in a much more desktop-like way.

(It’s odd to me how everyone seems to use an awkward “claw” motion for the 4-finger swipes. A flat-hand swipe is much easier than just using the very fingertips. In other words, you can swipe just like you’d do with 1, 2 or 3 fingers--only with 4 or 5. It doesn’t matter what angle your fingertips are lined up at, so you don’t have to turn your hand sideways for a sideways swipe. Yet I can’t find a single video on YouTube that doesn’t use “the claw”!)

I think you have to try to get youtube to not work on an iOS device.

Sometimes there is a short delay, after the video goes onto YouTube, before the non-Flash conversion is ready. For brand-new videos I sometimes have to re-try.

bgmesh3

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Sequences Shortened

This needs one of those patented Apple-ad "sequences shortened" disclaimers.

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
i have ios5 running on my ipad but the gestures are no where to be found in the settings?? do you need to run xcode on the mac to run these like i did with 4.3?? strange:confused::confused:

BLACKFRIDAY

macrumors regular
May 23, 2011

arn

I watched it on my iPad. What's the problem?

Whoops. I apologize in that case. I am posting from OS X Lion Safari and I don't have flash on this machine, yet. I do have HTML5 beta switched on; but still couldn't get the video. Instead, I'd to switch over to Chrome to get this running.

If you don't mind, can you explain those settings required to get Youtube to play this particular video?

Regards

BLACKFRIDAY

macrumors regular
May 23, 2011
On iOS, YouTube videos from the browsers are automatically launched via in browser player.
And if you don't have flash then where the heck are you? Under a rock?

No. Under a roof. :rolleyes:

What if I need to watch this video on my mac without flash?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Whoops. I apologize in that case. I am posting from OS X Lion Safari and I don't have flash on this machine, yet. I do have HTML5 beta switched on; but still couldn't get the video. Instead, I'd to switch over to Chrome to get this running.

If you don't mind, can you explain those settings required to get Youtube to play this particular video?

Regards

Flash is included in the Google Chrome package. So technically you already have Flash on your computer.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I have the gestures on my iPad running 4.3.3 and they work very well.

So many new features in iOS 5, should be a nice update in the fall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.