Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ComposMentis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
Last year i found an 3g iPhone , on opening the phone it had no lock or pin so i searched for info like numbers,calls emails etc but was wiped clean apart from dance and rave music.I called my friend at T-mobile to ask what to do , and was told that if i handed it in to the Police they are compelled to destroy it due the the(possibilty) of information in it getting abused by others. Now i find myself a victim of theft of my handset, and having no other way to replace it was wondering if it would be possible to get the iPhone unblocked, although,my friend says not legally, lol, what to do???

lapocompris

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2009
So some one stole a phone that you had previously found, since you didn't pay for it, this isn't a big loss.

dudeabiding

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2009
I believe the op had his OWN phone stolen, and would like to use the found phone to replace it. I found a cell phone (not a smart phone) years ago, gave it to the cops, and when it was not claimed they called and had me pick it up. If you call the police, you might get a clearer answer than the one from your friend at T Mobile.

As for "unblocking," I'm unclear what you mean. If you mean just to restore it so you can use it, you would need to put in your own sim card and just restore it with iTunes. It sounds as if the person who lost it was using it as an iPod Touch, so there may not even be a sim in there. It's possible that the person who lost it stole it, as I can't see any reason to have a phone totally wiped except for music. But stolen property is, well, stolen. Found property can revert to the finder after it is unclaimed for x amount of time, but you never turned it in.

Aren't morals and ethics confusing? :)

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
think your t-mobile friend gave you bad advice. you can probably figure this out with a little google work, but I'm not helping. your friend should be able to help you get a good deal on a new phone. ;) I think he owes you that for bad advice. the carrier or the police department would have been a good way to go.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
Last year i found an 3g iPhone , on opening the phone it had no lock or pin so i searched for info like numbers,calls emails etc but was wiped clean apart from dance and rave music.I called my friend at T-mobile to ask what to do , and was told that if i handed it in to the Police they are compelled to destroy it due the the(possibilty) of information in it getting abused by others. Now i find myself a victim of theft of my handset, and having no other way to replace it was wondering if it would be possible to get the iPhone unblocked, although,my friend says not legally, lol, what to do???

If the IMEI is blocked, the phone is a brick. End of story. I realize that it is painful to lose expensive possessions, but using someone else's lost property to fill that void is not the answer. Turn it into the police or the carrier, the thing is no good to you unless you want an iPod Touch and some bad karma.

noiceT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Catalina Wine Mixer
Nice song and dance, but not buying it..

You say your OWN phone got stolen, yet you refuse to return the other phone you found...

Having your own phone was stolen, you should know the "pain" of losing something; it would seem natural then that you would return the phone you "found" to its respectable owner.

Basically what you are doing now, is justifying what the thief did to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.