Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
It's possible none of the smart phones would look the way they do now. You have to remember what was out there before the iPhone.... cluncky confusing phones with horrid OS's and bulky confusing hardware that looks like junk today. I even doubt Android would be as far as they are without the iPhone.

Look how the google smartphone / Android (Prototype) looked like before the iPhone was announced:

thumb463x_androidlive.JPG

... looked like a RIM copy cat.

Source: http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/02/g...e_shown_next_week_at_mobile_world_congress-2/

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
If this is hardware issue, I do see iPhone resemblance in Samsung hardware and I believe Apple has valid case.

But looking at the software, how much can Apple hold Samsung liable since Samsung device uses Android software which isn't entirely Samsung's product?

Can someone shed some light on this?

They may use Android, but look at the custom layout. It's very, very similar to iOS. This combined with the hardware makes it look like a knock-off.

You can bet your bottom dollar, the product team for this product set out with the mission to clone the iPhone as close as possible.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wasn't the iPhone the first to use an entirely flat capacitive touch screen interface (smartphone, not PDA)?

Now look at marketplace.

This is no different than the iPad. Look at all the tablet offerings trying to "catch up"

I hope Apple wins this ( I suspect they will settle out of court)!

iMaci7

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2011
Its pretty clear every single multi touch screen phone made since 2007 was heavily inspired by the iPhone. Which isnt a bad thing, copying off of Apple usually results in success.

Not going after Samsung isnt even an option for Apple, patent holders by law, must pursue those who infringe if they want to keep their patent rights, or at least thats what i remember from college. If anyone here is evil, its Samsung, they made money on Apples ideas and patents. The fact that Apple products have Samsung stuff in them is not relavent in any way. Apple pays samsung for their components. Infact, its great for Samsung that Apple is ordering so many tens of millions of samsung items for their iPads and iPhones.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
spot on...

That's exactly the problem. Apple works closely with them in a lot of regards.

For the company to the come back and emulate the look AND feel (design) of your devices (with success selling competitive platform) is treachery.

What I can't believe is Samsung asking to see the yet-to-announce Apple prototypes in exchange. They are being accused of copying. That would be like some dude accused of robbery in a court asking you the keys to your home in exchange for his confession.

There no doubt that had Apple never turned it's attention towards mobile phones, the Samsung phones of today would have looked and behaved nothing like they do now.

Case closed.
Bring on the benjamins.

Steve saw it coming:

iSamsungs - classic!

They say stealing is the highest form of flattery, but this is just obscene by Samsung. Save for some VERY minor details the Galaxy S is a total blatant attempt to rip-off of the iPhone UI interface.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I try to learn a new word everyday. Thanks to MacRumors it's "vociferousness". I have no idea how to say it or what it means, but I'm going to butcher the hell out of it! :D

If you've got a Mac, hold down CTRL, CMD & D and hover the mouse cursor over the word. All will be revealed. :)

Last edited:

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
My wife's cousin works for Samsung. The last time I visited Korea:

Me: "Look what I got!"
I show off my newest (then) iPhone 3G.

My wife's cousin: "Well, look what I got!"
He brings out what appeared to be a prototype Samsung touchscreen phone with iOS loaded on it. That's right, iOS.

Apparently this is what they do.

ssk2

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2011
God I love fanboys....

Apple use an identical notification system to Android? No problem.
Apple use a identical messaging system to RIM? Excellent.

Samsung use a green phone icon to represent the phone app? OMGGGGZZ LAW SUIT!!!?!1

Do you not see the irony?

This topic has been done to death and is clearly not as simple as the fanboys make out. This is clear by the fact that the case(s) continue to rumble on, with no sign of resolution.

gglockner

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
Bellevue, WA
I am not a lawyer, but if I recall correctly, it is not illegal to copy the look-and-feel of another product unless you can prove that it will create real confusion among consumers, creating a potential for fraud. Although it is in bad taste for Samsung to copy Apple, I don't think that alone is grounds for a lawsuit.

What will be interesting is whether there is merit in Apple's patents.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Another thing so sorely missed is that the home screen you see on the Samsung phone is 100% customizable so it can look like whatever you want it to look like. The iphone is just the iPhone.

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2011
Have any of actual seen some of these devices? Why are stock android devices on the list? Why is this suit against the phones and not the UI?

It doesn't make any sense. I agree with Apple on Touch Wiz only, Touch Wiz without widgets looks a lot like iOS, but the phone hardware and physical design don't resemble iPhones. If this suit was against Touch Wiz's UI alone, then yeah Samsung better pay up.

But it's not it's for all there devices, maybe its because Samsung can compete, or maybe the want a cross licensing patent agreement. I don't know, but there something else going on.

Some Devices:
Galaxy Tab 10.1
samsung-galaxy-tab_10.1.jpg

?

Galaxy Prevail
galaxy-prevail-boost.jpg

?

Nexus S
nexuss4g.jpg

?

Replenish

samsung-replenish.jpg

Seriously, that devices is included?

Sidekick 4G
Samsung-Outs-Source-for-T-Mobile-Sidekick-4G-Android.jpg

Who will mistake this for an iOS device instead of a sidekick?

Samsung Transform

samsung-transform-01.jpg

?

Samsung Intercept

m910_600x600_xlarge_cf.jpg

?

Acclaim
samsung-acclaim.jpg

?

And the Galaxy Tab
samsung-galaxy_tab.jpg

?

The other phones use Touch Wiz, which I think is a rip of the iPhone's UI. But I don't know why the above phones are in the suit.

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
And if Steve had a keynote in which he claimed he invented bottled water, I know a lot of people right now just going for it.

Now let's see what would happen, if Nokia would sue the hell out of Apple. They clearly have a case, because you should actually look what they trademarked as Navi (TM)-Key.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Have any of actual seen some of these devices? Why are stock android devices on the list? Why is this suit against the phones and not the UI?

Thats the thing. Apple is showing you a picture of the Galaxy looking like an iPhone, they aren't showing you the screen with Widgets and other Android specific features such as the Notification Sy... oops... let me guess iPhone didn't copy Android Notification system thats right. My bad.

ForzaJuve

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
What I can't believe is Samsung asking to see the yet-to-announce Apple prototypes in exchange. They are being accused of copying. That would be like some dude accused of robbery in a court asking you the keys to your home in exchange for his confession.

No, it' more like he is asking for the keys to your house so that he can go in and take a good peek to make sure next time he robs someone it is not your stuff.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
Patent suits are my least favorite tech topic. Look and feel patents are particularly silly. Apple just paid Nokia a ridiculous amount of money for things that should never have been patentable; now they are suing Sammy for things that should not have been patentable.

Regarding the Android prototype pictured above: I had this Sony Clie 10 years ago:

sony_clie_peg_t615c_02.jpg

I used to hold it up to my ear and think: Hmm, if only this were a phone with internet access-- a touch dialpad and I could make calls and browse the web, plus all the palm apps (or whatever they were called back then).

The idea should not have been patentable. Period.

xFenixKnightx

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2011
I have this phone, well, kinda.

I have the Verizon version which actually doesnt resemble this one at all. Samsung knew what they were doing with that model up there and its pretty shameful IMO.

Made this when I first got it. http://youtu.be/WvMSsVd4f6Y

Still love it! I dont use Touchwiz. I use Launcher Pro, a home replacement app. I like a more stock Android feel. I like widgets and costomization. I love the 4" punchy colorful SAMOLED screen. I always found the iPhone 3.5" was too small or me. =( Im not here to bash the iPhone. I have an iPad 2 which I love and I cant wait for iOS5. But yeah Sammy really needs to get rid of Touchwiz and iPhone 3GS knockoff. They actually kind of did with the Samsung Galaxy II, which looks great! cant we all just get along?

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
They may use Android, but look at the custom layout. It's very, very similar to iOS. This combined with the hardware makes it look like a knock-off.

You can bet your bottom dollar, the product team for this product set out with the mission to clone the iPhone as close as possible.

Based on what goes on over there, maybe Apple can buy the meeting minutes and recordings, plus e-mails for $ 3,000 or so.

joshuarayer

Suspended
Jan 28, 2009
Really?

So the complaint is that Samsung copied a grid layout of the phones applications with a section at the bottom for 4 always on-screen apps and a rounded-corner shaped phone? Im pretty sure Palm beat Apple a long time ago to the grid-based app layout with the Palm OS 1 and the Palm Pilot 1000 in the mid 1990's and they even had 4 buttons that linked to apps at the bottom of the screen. So how about you think before you blindly stick behind Apples every move.

dustinsc

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
If this is hardware issue, I do see iPhone resemblance in Samsung hardware and I believe Apple has valid case.

But looking at the software, how much can Apple hold Samsung liable since Samsung device uses Android software which isn't entirely Samsung's product?

Can someone shed some light on this?

This isn't a patent claim, which hinges on similarities in HOW they work. This is a trademark claim,which hinges on the potential for consumer confusion. The look and feel is what is relevant in a trademark or, more accurately in this case, trade dress case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.