Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekker

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
This is not the case. Of course tablets are all going to be similar in some regard. But look at the playbook for instance. A quick glimpse of its OS shows some unique elements. RIM at least tried to add a bit of originality. It is a shame though that they have to rely on "Flash" support as an advertising gimmick. It is so lame and pointless. But Samsung blatantly copied Apple. There is no doubt about it. And they did it while doing business with Apple which is sad.

Okay, hotshot. How does the Galaxy Tab 10.1 blatantly copy Apple?

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
You don't the difference between the small notifications system and the giant OS? You should, as they are hugely different issues.

The entire purpose of a smart phone is to receive not only calls, but texts, e-mails, notifications from applications, etc. The notification system is an integral part of a smartphone. It's not like Apple copied some obscure feature hardly anyone ever uses. The notification system is nearly as giant as the OS itself.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
Hmm, I don't remember that those had a touch screen and that you controlled the UI by using your finger on the screen .... seems I'm getting old and my memory is failing me[/QUOTE

Could be. I never used my stylus on the Clie-- I used my fingers. It was a capacitive screen so more accurately I used my fingernail.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
So the problem with the android fanboys is that they seem to equate players in the industry incorporating some features the competition offers with outright copying on a grand scale. These people also seem to believe anyone agreeing with Apple's strong case against Samsung must believe all competitors are copying Apple.

This is not the case. Of course tablets are all going to be similar in some regard. But look at the playbook for instance. A quick glimpse of its OS shows some unique elements. RIM at least tried to add a bit of originality. It is a shame though that they have to rely on "Flash" support as an advertising gimmick. It is so lame and pointless. But Samsung blatantly copied Apple. There is no doubt about it. And they did it while doing business with Apple which is sad.

Here's a picture of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 from Samsung's own site:

img_main_product.png

Please tell me how, in any way, shape or form, that resembles iOS on the iPad? It doesn't.

njchris

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca USA
I think their big mistake was pretty much photocopying the home screen and layout of iOS.

Also, as the other poster points out. See it in person and it could easily be mistaken for an iPhone.

Samsung should just change the UI design of the OS and end this.

Those pics are NOT of the samsung home screen. The actual home screen does not look like the iphone other than having a dock at the bottom.

That pic shows what appears when you tap the applications button to show your apps... So just walking into a store and looking at the home screens will NOT look like an iPhone.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
lmao. What's wrong Apple? Getting scared? Android is laying the smack down and Apple knows it. hahahahaha

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Those pics are NOT of the samsung home screen. The actual home screen does not look like the iphone other than having a dock at the bottom.

That pic shows what appears when you tap the applications button to show your apps... So just walking into a store and looking at the home screens will NOT look like an iPhone.

This is true.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
So the problem with the android fanboys is that they seem to equate players in the industry incorporating some features the competition offers with outright copying on a grand scale. These people also seem to believe anyone agreeing with Apple's strong case against Samsung must believe all competitors are copying Apple.

RIM has a grid layout on its Playbook organized by media, games, utilities, etc. It even has the same WiFi icon as used in Mac OS X, with a bar at the top in the same location.

blackberryplaybook-tablifelg1.jpg

Furthermore, as has been pointed out, Apple is using a cherry-picked screenshot of the samsung galaxy S ui as a justification for a lawsuit.

OhrJx.jpg

It doesn't look anywhere close to like that. Unless you add app icons to the desktop.

AaronEdwards

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

What I don't understand is where devices like the Nexus S fit in. Stock Android, curved screen, no bezel... The Nexus s looks different to me.

Maybe the iPhone isn't selling as well as Apple would want it to.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
With the way that Android lets you customize your home screens, you can make it look like a grid of icons like iOS, or you can make it look completely different. Full control is yours. Apple is just cherry picking screenshots.

The only part of my Android phone that resembles anything in iOS is the notification system, which I had first :p

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
This is the absurd couching of the argument people make when they come here to "debate" the issue of Apple's creativity.
1. They claim people who support Apple in this case must believe Apple created everything that went into their products.
2. They then turn it into individual battles about who designed what element first.

Unfortunately too many people get roped into accepting this is what the argument is about. The truth is that Apple deserves a lot of credit for assembling ideas (some of their own and some general industry principles) into new products. The argument most of us make who believe Apple deserves credit for this, is that they stick their necks out when they do this because they do not just do a small run and see if it catches on. They decide this is the new product and get behind it. The iphone and ipad were great successes and while they were not the first of their kind, they did establish the expectations of the consumer.

So if you want to get rammed into some tit for tat about who brought feature X out first be my guest. I don't bother because I can see the set up right away. I am not going to claim Apple invented every feature of their products. But I am going to argue that the smart phone and tablet markets are what they are because of Apple. If someone doesn't agree then so be it. What can I or anyone say to make someone give Apple credit?

And I'm certainly not going to waste time with people who drop "apple fanboy" in their first post on a thread. It is funny that these people demand a response to their couched argument after starting with an insult. LOL

Apple's been doing the industry's R&D since 2007. I'll give them a pass on the Android issue. Google had it coming.

And Samsung's been infringing for quite some time now.

You know when you are getting under some people's skin when certain things happen. One poster said he put you on the ignore list. LOL. One of the people I described above.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Apple's been ripped off consistently, regularly, blatantly since June 2007, and they've been rather kind about it up until recently.

Fair play by Apple. Karma's a bitch.

I don't think fairness or karma have anything to do with it.

In 2007 they didn't have a substantial case. Now they do. Now it's time for them to claim the megabucks! And I'm sure the success of the past few years, coupled with all these imitations, have done wonders for Apple egos. After all, imitation is the highest form of flattery, is it not? ;)

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
And I'm certainly not going to waste time with people who drop "apple fanboy" in their first post on a thread. It is funny that these people demand a response to their couched argument after starting with an insult. LOL
Strong words coming from someone who's thrown around the fanboy insult before:

The android fanboys will tell you Apple has done nothing worthy of any credit. I think they want everyone doing things the way they do them and so they have to lash out at every opportunity. I hope they get help soon.

Only an android fanboy would fail to see what Samsung has done.

The rare appearance of OS X malware is always good fun for the MS fanboy.

Yes we are all doomed to suffer waves of malware any day now...

Another fanboy remark? ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Show us something original if you can.

Give me a break. For you to admit RIM phones lose bars too would be sacrilege. Stop drinking the RIM koolaid fanboy.

Another RIM fanboy.

Droid fanboys are a weird bunch. They lose bars but complain about the iphone. And who is getting a free bumper?

The droid will be history in 5 years like the razor is now. The iphone will still be with us.

Lame

You have one of those phones that isn't faulty. Just like many iphone 4 owners. But that isn't what this is all about. It's about blowing the problems of each phone way out of proportion. Now the droid users are behaving like a bunch of fanboys because they can't handle it. Waaaa.

Poor baby. The droid fanboys can't handle the truth.

In 5 years, the manufacturer of droid will still be around, but the droid will be history. There will be some new name for the phone to get you excited but the iphone product line will still be here.

This is something for the webOs "fanboys", to borrow their words.

The Windows fanboys can't help themselves I guess. They just want to come here and bitch about everything.

I posted the other day that I wondered whether this malware was related to some of the current malware on Windows. Of course a bunch of Windows fanboys rated that negative as though that wasn't a legitimate consideration.

Turns out MS thinks it is possible.

Microsoft Links Fake Mac AV to Windows Scareware Gang

Grow up.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
This is the absurd couching of the argument people make when they come here to "debate" the issue of Apple's creativity.
1. They claim people who support Apple in this case must believe Apple created everything that went into their products.
2. They then turn it into individual battles about who designed what element first.

Unfortunately too many people get roped into accepting this is what the argument is about. The truth is that Apple deserves a lot of credit for assembling ideas (some of their own and some general industry principles) into new products. The argument most of us make who believe Apple deserves credit for this, is that they stick their necks out when they do this because they do not just do a small run and see if it catches on. They decide this is the new product and get behind it. The iphone and ipad were great successes and while they were not the first of their kind, they did establish the expectations of the consumer.

So if you want to get rammed into some tit for tat about who brought feature X out first be my guest. I don't bother because I can see the set up right away. I am not going to claim Apple invented every feature of their products. But I am going to argue that the smart phone and tablet markets are what they are because of Apple. If someone doesn't agree then so be it. What can I or anyone say to make someone give Apple credit?

You know when you are getting under some people's skin when certain things happen. One poster said he put you on the ignore list. LOL. One of the people I described above.

Seems like you're now dancing around the issue instead of addressing the issue. The issue is whether or not the Touch interface looks like iOS. Apple is disseminating a cherry picked screenshot that makes it look kinda similar to iOS and saying that it WILL cause consumer confusion, which is a weak argument as people are rational enough to look at packaging, the big giant Samsung stamped across the top, or the fact the phones don't look as similar as people like you state.

The backs don't look anything like any model of the iPhone, the sides don't look anything like the iPhone and the front looks only marginally, and any consumer confusion that might occur would be instantly cleared up by the giant Samsung stamped at the top.

Then there's the onscreen UI. Again, a cherry picked screenshot of the UI by Apple.

All Apple is doing is ******** on their parts manufacturer that's putting out a competing phone for presumably less than the cost of the iPhone and cherry picking screenshots of the phone as examples that they've copied Apple.

And their evidence: grid layout and the color of the phone button, never mind that Apple was not the first to color the phone button green and is common across almost all brands of phones.

pepitko

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2007
I'm with Apple on this one. The phones and tablets of Apple and Samsung look so similar that many people are very likely to mistake one for another. Or in another words, Samsung is clearly copying Apple to create similar or almost the same products to monetize the wave of popularity of iPhones and iPads.

aslucher

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

So I don't comment very often but boy do I read. Let me just add my two cents as this is getting pretty funny.

I'd like to point out that everyone copies everyone, to a certain degree. Apple took older ideas and tried to change the phone to be more like a computer. That's old. They added touch and did a phenomenal job designing. This isn't news, and is shown by their sales.

Google wanted the same thing but a more broad spectrum, allowing each hardware company to customize the core OS to their respectable devices. This in theory is amazing. But in my opinion can create fragmentation, whatever.

What Samsung did was copy the entire look and feel of the iPhone. I mean c'mon you guys are seeming to forget that Apple brought Samsung's marketing to the table. The ad looks like Apple's.

Apple did not copy Android's look and feel with iOS5. They are pushing an evolutionary improvement. Yes the notifications may be just like the Android but it's also similar to WebOS' notification system. They are actually leveling the playing field. To me Android users should say dang, about time and shutup. It happens. Instead let's focus on why iOS5 will still be a selling point BECAUSE SOME PEOPLE LIKE HOW APPLE OPERATES. I don't buy Apple phones cuz they sometimes work for me. They are powerful devices and I like how they look. Over Android.

Android fanboys just leave. Why are you posting worthless crap? I read your forums but feel no need to bash every new "inspirational" phone model that comes out 2 months AFTER I just read the review for the now out dated model.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
That fake iPhone reminds me of these fake ass Jords. They may look similar but c'mon.

la-gear-mvp-jordan-4-02.jpg

It's apparent that Samsung was deliberately trying to make an iPhone knockoff.

LA Gears were freaking amazing.

As stated before the screen Apple is showing is not how the phone looks out of the box. Out of the box the phone has multiple widgets on the home screen. Thats the difference an Android phone can be anything it wants. The iPhone will always just be the iPhone.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Here's a picture of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 from Samsung's own site:

img_main_product.png

Please tell me how, in any way, shape or form, that resembles iOS on the iPad? It doesn't.

+1.

I have a white 16GB 10.1 tab sitting next to me. Having used iOS since the first gen iPod Touch, up to and including iPad 2, I can say that Android 3.1 doesn't at all "feel" like iOS. Great, sure, the screen has icons arranged in various pages. And Windows has a desktop, with icons, just like OS X. :rolleyes:

The 10.1 does indeed "feel", physically, like an iPad. It even looks like it, complete with the one-inch black border. (BTW, the border does not have the Samsung name stamped on it as shown in that picture.) Maybe Samsung should've made the border white or green or purple or otherwise non-black to differentiate themselves from competitors. Seriously, what other form factor would a tablet have so as to not look like a competitor? Triangular? Spherical? Ugh.

Last edited:

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
+1.

I have a white 16GB 10.1 tab sitting next to me. Having used iOS since the first gen iPod Touch, up to and including iPad 2, I can say that Android 3.1 doesn't at all "feel" like iOS. Great, sure, the screen has icons arranged in various pages. And Windows has a desktop, with icons, just like OS X. :rolleyes:

The 10.1 does indeed "feel", physically, like an iPad. It even looks like it, complete with the one-inch black border. (BTW, the border does not have the Samsung name stamped on it as shown in that picture.) Maybe Samsung should've made the border white or green or purple or otherwise non-black. Seriously, what other form factor would a tablet have so as to not look like a competitor? Triangular? Spherical? Ugh.

Apple would still have sued if it were white.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
The problem isn't that Samsung is mimicking the look of the iphone.... that has been done to death already by many other manufacturers.

The problem is that Samsung is mimicking the look of the iPhone *AND*
1. They have the distribution network in place to out-sell Apple
2. Their devices offer more features
3. Their devices are usually cheaper than Apple's.

A lost iphone sale isn't just $200-$300... it is another customer who doesn't get locked in to the Apple ecosystem.

Apple knows that they flat out cannot compete in the feature department. The Android OEMs just have too much combined capacity and brain-power. Apple's only hope is what has always helped them move products... marketing and differentiation their product from the rest of the bunch.

Samsung's similar looking devices are taking away that edge. They are coming at Apple HARD, and Apple knows that they are at a competitive disadvantage to a huge conglomerate like Samsung that can almost build complete phones entirely using Samsung-manufactured components (screens, memory, processors, almost everything).

At the end of the day, I don't think that Apple is looking to put a stop to Samsung. Big companies that sue each other over patent issues usually work out deals. I think that Apple is looking for some kind of leverage to use against Samsung where they currently have none.

Maybe they want a sweetheart deal on components or licenses for Super AMOLED+ displays.... who knows. Personally, I'd like to see Apple lose this suit. Maybe if the heat gets turned on they will start innovating again instead of calling other manufacturers copycats 4 months before they steal those same manufacturers' features.

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
Some of the smartphones Apple included in that list don't have anything in similar to the iPhone. For example, the Nexus S. No rows like the iPhone, curved glass, different size, ... what? :confused:

macnisse

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
What the hey, the Galaxy I can understand, but all the other ones... hmm, will be interesting to follow this process

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.