Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luckystriked

macrumors regular
May 23, 2008
What did you mean by saying 'very specific site' ?

Normally, you go from browser on a web-site or click directly on PDF link. It opens for preview. By pressing Save as a PDF button you can save it onto your iPad.

It's a .php website that has an embedded pdf.

Readdlemate

Suspended
Jan 26, 2009
It's a .php website that has an embedded pdf.

Well..Fair enough. In order to save PDF you have to have a link with a pdf content. I had a talk with our devs, he told me that it is practically impossible to do via embedded pdf. I quite sure no app can do that.

Sorry, but unfortunately I can't help you here. You can contact Apple of you want a refund.

luckystriked

macrumors regular
May 23, 2008
Well..Fair enough. In order to save PDF you have to have a link with a pdf content. I had a talk with our devs, he told me that it is practically impossible to do via embedded pdf. I quite sure no app can do that.

Sorry, but unfortunately I can't help you here. You can contact Apple of you want a refund.

There's an app called "downloads for ipad lite" (so it's free), that can download the pdf and then I can open the files on ibooks or readdledocs. It's not very practical but it's the only workaround I found..

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Not really. We have Terra as a Browser, check it out. It is free.

I meant an in-app browser like ReaddleDocs has so we can download documents from the web from within the app. It seems silly that PDF Expert, which is supposedly a more powerful app than ReaddleDocs, doesn't have it.

Readdlemate

Suspended
Jan 26, 2009
I meant an in-app browser like ReaddleDocs has so we can download documents from the web from within the app. It seems silly that PDF Expert, which is supposedly a more powerful app than ReaddleDocs, doesn't have it.

Well, built-in browser for ReaddleDocs was created at a time when there were no interaction between apps, so we had to keep users within the app. Nowadays, all browsers have 'open in' feature, which works perfectly.

So we believe, in-app browser for PDF Expert is not a must. Instead, we are focusing on core features such as signatures, pdf forms, enterprise version, etc.

By the way, we're currently working on the new major updated for PDF Expert. It will bring many new features and new UI.

franmatt80

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2010
Well, built-in browser for ReaddleDocs was created at a time when there were no interaction between apps, so we had to keep users within the app. Nowadays, all browsers have 'open in' feature, which works perfectly.

So we believe, in-app browser for PDF Expert is not a must. Instead, we are focusing on core features such as signatures, pdf forms, enterprise version, etc.

By the way, we're currently working on the new major updated for PDF Expert. It will bring many new features and new UI.

Gosh, I hope the UI change doesn't move back towards the Readdledocs UI which I don't think is nearly as neat. That'll be enough to send me back to Goodreader...

epicmar

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2008
Northern Florida
I purchased Readdledocs first and used it for a long time on my iPhone. After I purchased an iPad 2 and started loading lots and lots of files I needed an app that would help me keep track of files that I needed to review and find new files faster (I have hundreds of files in lots of subdirectories). I switched to GoodReader because it has the ability to Star files and gives you a filtered list of Starred files as well as recently added files.

That plus the better PDF file annotation capabilities have me sold on GoodReader.

GoodReader just did a nice update today that includes a really slick and easy to use control bar for PDF annotations, highlights, etc.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
I have both. Prefer ReaddleDocs on iPad - much nicer UI. GoodReader UI has gotten to be such a mess over time.

One gripe I have with both of these apps is their inability to copy Videos from Camera Roll. GR tries to "compress" videos before transferring it over. RD just hangs. If any of these apps devs reading this - is it not possible to copy videos from Camera Roll into an app *unmodified* ?

franmatt80

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2010
Hi Readdlemate, I don't suppose your PDF expert update will include the ability to save a web page will it? I use the GR function a lot where you can install a bookmarklet in your bookmarks bar and then just hit that if you want to save a page for offline reading- works excellently in GR.

Readdlemate

Suspended
Jan 26, 2009
Hi Readdlemate, I don't suppose your PDF expert update will include the ability to save a web page will it? I use the GR function a lot where you can install a bookmarklet in your bookmarks bar and then just hit that if you want to save a page for offline reading- works excellently in GR.

We have the ability to save page for offline view in ReaddleDocs and Terra. How does PDF annotation app go along with viewing pages? Jack of all trades = master of none. That's why many people are unhappy with GR's interface.

franmatt80

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2010
We have the ability to save page for offline view in ReaddleDocs and Terra. How does PDF annotation app go along with viewing pages? Jack of all trades = master of none. That's why many people are unhappy with GR's interface.

Umm... Maybe. But I think what people seem to be after is one app that can just about do everything, to save having multiple copies of documents spread through a bunch of different apps that have only slightly different functionality. That's why, despite the slightly dodgy UI of GR, so many stick with it because it offers so much functionality and the option to keep everything in one place. Readdle doesn't quite do that - therefore I need to have two of your apps to do what GR does in one.

Not a criticism at all, because as I've prevsiouly said, I much prefer the PDF Expert UI over all of them. However as people's usage of the iPad develops - especially those using it for business like myself- I would imagine that demand will move towards streamlining the workflow so the majority of functions can be achieved through as few apps as possible. So while saving web pages might now seem to be an obvious function of a PDF annotation app, perhaps that's what people will be looking for.... Just my opinion of course.

epicmar

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2008
Northern Florida
Umm... Maybe. But I think what people seem to be after is one app that can just about do everything, to save having multiple copies of documents spread through a bunch of different apps that have only slightly different functionality. That's why, despite the slightly dodgy UI of GR, so many stick with it because it offers so much functionality and the option to keep everything in one place. Readdle doesn't quite do that - therefore I need to have two of your apps to do what GR does in one.

Not a criticism at all, because as I've prevsiouly said, I much prefer the PDF Expert UI over all of them. However as people's usage of the iPad develops - especially those using it for business like myself- I would imagine that demand will move towards streamlining the workflow so the majority of functions can be achieved through as few apps as possible. So while saving web pages might now seem to be an obvious function of a PDF annotation app, perhaps that's what people will be looking for.... Just my opinion of course.

I agree - I use GR extensively for work. What I really want is an application that integrates Awesome Note functionality (although I would like to see AN do a major update) with GR functionality.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
I have both. I prefer Readdle. The interface feels more solid, if that makes any sense. You can add notes to PDFs but not handwritten ones.

I used to use GoodReader because it had extra features, now Readdle is virtually the same. I think Readdle is more polished and simpler to use.

I agree with this evaluation as well. I must also say that if you do a lot of reading for extended times like over an hour, nothing beats the newest Kindle.

I use both a new Kindle & iPad 2. That's the perfect combo, especially if you wish to avoid eyestrain.

macxs

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2011
I would say go for PDF Expert. It does everything.

RD has less features than PDF Expert. We did it because some people might not need to have annotations, Forms support, etc. That's why they shouldn't be charged for those features.

I have readdledocs but now want to use pdf expert. Considering your statement above, is there an option for readdledocs owners to upgrade to pdfexpert without having to pay the full price? With what you said, buying pdfexpert will make readdledocs redundant. Thanks.

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
I have both but use Goodreader most because I use it to place many of my comics into neat folders. I'm not using it to write or edit documents but if you just have finished pdfs you want to read, I like it better.

Readdlemate

Suspended
Jan 26, 2009
I have readdledocs but now want to use pdf expert. Considering your statement above, is there an option for readdledocs owners to upgrade to pdfexpert without having to pay the full price? With what you said, buying pdfexpert will make readdledocs redundant. Thanks.

Well, ReaddleDocs and PDF Expert are essentially quite different by positioning. RD is focused on work with files and grab them from anywhere (it has built in browser, more convenient viewer for images, mp3 player, etc).

While PDF Expert for iPad are mainly used for extensive work with PDF files, allowing to annotate, fill forms, etc.

We have happy customers, who use both these apps.

mountcurve

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2011
How do I view photos in Readdle Docs pdf file?

Hi,

Thanks for your questions.

Why is it hard to decide which one to buy? It really depends what for you're going to use these apps, what kind of work flow do you have, etc.

Yes, both of our apps (ReaddleDocs and PDF Expert for iPad) have zoom/crop/lock mode.

As for a company and reputation, it would be better for us to give away refunds also. Truth be told, we are not interested in someones $4.99 if the person is dissatisfied. It only happens when they didn't read description and don't know how to use guidelines. However, I can tell that 95% of our clients/customers are happy about our products and exceptional customer support service.

I hope that helps.
Feel free to ask further questions.

Your comments are very helpful in deciding between ReaddleDocs and Goodreader. I just downloaded Readdle Docs on my Ipad 2 and figured out how to create folders to clean up the files and amount of pdfs I have for different clients. My challenge is that when I open a pdf file through Readdle Docs it doesn't show the property photos. I sell real estate and photos are the most important part of my pdf marketing packages. The aerial photo and location maps appear but not 6-8 property photos which are saved on one pdf page within the document. How can I fix this? Thanks for your advice.

Readdlemate

Suspended
Jan 26, 2009
Your comments are very helpful in deciding between ReaddleDocs and Goodreader. I just downloaded Readdle Docs on my Ipad 2 and figured out how to create folders to clean up the files and amount of pdfs I have for different clients. My challenge is that when I open a pdf file through Readdle Docs it doesn't show the property photos. I sell real estate and photos are the most important part of my pdf marketing packages. The aerial photo and location maps appear but not 6-8 property photos which are saved on one pdf page within the document. How can I fix this? Thanks for your advice.

Can you please e-mail your documents to team@support.readdle.com ? Our support team will take a look at this issue.

Thanks.

knightskid

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2009
I am using Goodreader at the moment, but have a problem regards about scanning paper to pdf, and not able to highlight text at all. Does PDF expert able to do that?

Readdlemate

Suspended
Jan 26, 2009
I am using Goodreader at the moment, but have a problem regards about scanning paper to pdf, and not able to highlight text at all. Does PDF expert able to do that?

The ability to highlight text heavily depends on type of PDF. Once you have scanned page, each page is saved as a bitmap image, so no app can figure out where are the words themselves. You may use freehand marker for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.