Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

natharvey

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

do they match pricing, the $100 off educational discount?

sorry for the post, I didn't see there were 5 Pgs from my iPhone. I think if Best Buy will price match it'll make it a great deal

cburton

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
Thought it was a good deal at first but without BB matching the Edu pricing you gain nothing by buying there.

strabes

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

You can't get both?

matt...

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2011
Hey guys, Ive been following this site since the beginning of the year. First for the mbp, but decided to hold off on that when I heard the new air would be coming out. At first I was happy to hear the best buy promo, but I'm hoping one of the baseline 13" airs is what I want or else I will have to BTO from apple. If the base 13" has 4gb ram and backlit keyboard (not sure it will be included, but if it is I'm hoping for it to be non-bto). Processor and hard drive I don't care about, the 1.86/128 now is fine for my needs and apple won't lower that.

Back on topic, I would much prefer $100 for best buy over $100 in apps.

mpb2000

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

JoeDMD said:
Online reseller (no tax) < Apple + tax - education discount.

Best buy charges tax if you buy it online and since it is an unadvertised deal, who knows if you could even get it online.

Does anyone know if best buy ever matches apple's education pricing? If not, even though the apple gift card is disappointing, that's still a better deal.

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'd rather have the best buy card. Miles more useful than the app store card would ever be. I could put it towards an iPod, buy a camera with it, or, as many others have said, buy giftcards towards other marketplaces like amazon, or even Apple's market. This is a WAY better deal.

csjo00

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010
Arkansas
When I purchased my MBP last year, I got the $100 off, and the free iPod touch. My brother, who has a little say in the day-to-day operations of this store, said I was the last one to get that.

I had to raise a little Cain to get it, but I sure did.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
I think I'd rather get the Best Buy one so I can buy some substantial stuff.

Your choice is far wiser than choosing the restricted, strings attached, limited use Apple Card.

Thanks to Best Buy, when they include a $100 gift card, they are open & honest. You may actually spend the full $100 on anything in the store. Apple chose a very good company to work with. In fact Apple, if not for their self absorbed, know it all attitude, could learn a few things from Best Buy.

Oh sure, I can hear the fanboys moan & bad mouth Best Buy since any store without an Apple logo is inferior as compared to their much vaunted Apple.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
Do you get an educational discount on a computer at Best Buy though?

The Apple store on-line or on campus gives $100 or more off the computer plus the $100 for buying apps or media (music, books or movies).

The benefit of the Best buy card is you can get DVD or CD and rip it instead of just the download.

i dont think you get an education discount. and i also dont think you get a $100 towards a printer. so between the $100 for a printer and $100-200 for a computer apples is still better but limits you when it comes to the giftcard. now if bestbuy added a printer and education discount we would be talking. that would bring back some of their loses and compete with apple at the same time.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
I'd rather have the best buy card. Miles more useful than the app store card would ever be. I could put it towards an iPod, buy a camera with it, or, as many others have said, buy giftcards towards other marketplaces like amazon, or even Apple's market. This is a WAY better deal.

No, it's not, unless BB also matches edu pricing AND matches aapl's printer offer.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
I'm sure everyone would prefer a $100 Best Buy gift card to the $100 App Store Gift Card, since you can buy far more things at best buy.

However, with no educational pricing, and no free printer, it's actually a worse deal than what Apple is offering. Just with your edu pricing discounts, you could buy the $100 best buy gift card (even more than $100 with some models) and you would still have a free printer and a $100 mac app store gift card.

If best buy would at least match the edu pricing, this would be a far more appealing deal, since in my experience most people don't particularly care for a mail in rebate printer or already have a printer at home.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
Normally I would shy away from Best Buy but in this circumstance they are clearly the better choice.

how do you figure.... $100 education discount buys your best buy gift card and you still get apples gift card and the free printer if you buy through them. Best buy needs to match edu pricing for this to be appealing.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
Your choice is far wiser than choosing the restricted, strings attached, limited use Apple Card.

Thanks to Best Buy, when they include a $100 gift card, they are open & honest. You may actually spend the full $100 on anything in the store. Apple chose a very good company to work with. In fact Apple, if not for their self absorbed, know it all attitude, could learn a few things from Best Buy.

Oh sure, I can hear the fanboys moan & bad mouth Best Buy since any store without an Apple logo is inferior as compared to their much vaunted Apple.

A complete pile of maclaptrap, by someone who apparently doesn't understand the comparative offers fully and/or isn't good at basic math (but what can you expect of someone who works at Best Boy).

JoeDMD

macrumors member
May 20, 2008
NJ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Best buy charges tax if you buy it online and since it is an unadvertised deal, who knows if you could even get it online.

Does anyone know if best buy ever matches apple's education pricing? If not, even though the apple gift card is disappointing, that's still a better deal.

But MacMall, PowerMax, etc. don't charge tax.
*edit* - depending on where you live, there may be tax.
If you go through them, you will pay over $100 less (depending on what model you buy) than if you buy at Best Buy (no education discount), so the $100 gift card isn't worth it if you are paying tax. Becuase Apple does give you an education discount + the $100 gift card, for some models it is worth getting from Apple. You also get the free printer from MacMall if that interests you.

Last edited:

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Apple Store EDUCATION vs. Best Buy

As far as I can see, BB is only offering the $100 gift card.

Apple offers:
$100 off most Macs (I think only $49 on small MacBook Air and the Mini?).
$100 off card (iOS apps, MacApps and iBooks). Eventually I'd use this $100 (possibly $29 for Lion next month, but then that'd be a good reason to wait).
$100 off a printer. They have $100 printers (this is a rebate) or apply it towards a more expensive one.

Plus you save on a few other items at Apple at time of purchase, about 10% I think:
iWork $71 instead of $79.
The extended warranty is about $60 less also (30% off).

And I'm sure a few other things I can't think of.

So unless Best Buy is having a sale, you save $100, right off the bat on Most Macs. Unless you're getting the Mini or the smaller Air and NEVER going to buy any apps for your iOS or Mac is the only way Best Buy is better (maybe if you live in a state with no Best Buy so that there isn't any sales tax?).

Gary

Gary

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
I'm sure everyone would prefer a $100 Best Buy gift card to the $100 App Store Gift Card, since you can buy far more things at best buy.

I tend to not purchase things in Best Buy because they are usually overpriced. For me, $100 in the App/iTunes Store is much better than $100 at Best Buy (although I could use the Best Buy card to purchase an iTunes gift card, so it'd work out).

Anyway, your post was good. Buying online from Apple is still a much better deal. As numerous people have said: $100 printer from Apple + education pricing + $100 App Store card + 5% cashback (from Discover) is much better than Best Buy's deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.