Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:24 PM   #26
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

Very much needed.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:25 PM   #27
iBug2
macrumors 68040

To be honest, the only thing I can infer about the custom CPU rumor is the size.

If Apple plans to shrink the size of the Mac Pro, they may need special processors for it in terms of size.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:26 PM   #28
ARobinson
macrumors member

I just want thunderbolt on my new ********** 12-Core!!! Not a new mac pro thats better than the old "fastest mac ever" because its newer than the new one.
ARobinson is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:28 PM   #29
cmaier
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmster View Post
ARM is coming!
Quote:
Originally Posted by keruah View Post
ARM Mac Pro? About time!
LOL. Because what you're really looking for in a Mac Pro is to give up a lot of performance to save some power. (while then giving up the power advantage to run x86 code through a translation layer).
cmaier is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:31 PM   #30
gramirez2012
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to gramirez2012
If the AEBS is going to have 6 antennas and better signal strength, then does that mean the Time Capsule will as well? I sold my AEBS this month which had less than ideal signal strength in my home, and I was planning on getting the new Time Capsule when it comes out. I wouldn't want to get a new Time Capsule only to find that I could get better range with the AEBS.

Really curious as to when these will be released.
gramirez2012 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:31 PM   #31
WiiDSmoker
macrumors 65816

I'm more excited about the new routers than anything else.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:32 PM   #32
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post
Not trying to be a smart one, but what benefits would we get from having iOS run on a router? I mean, how would that even work? Like what's the point?
It's slimmer and it boots faster than OS X. Apple engineers can configure maintain it easier since it's just a standard UNIXy router. It's also easier for Apple to lock down because it is iOS. Maybe it even uses less power, but I'm just guessing on that.

Edit: not to imply Airport Extreme ran OS X, it didn't. But the Apple TV 1 did run a more or less full OS X, and it boots much slower than the new iOS Apple TV 2.
WestonHarvey1 is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:35 PM   #33
NAG
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
LOL. Because what you're really looking for in a Mac Pro is to give up a lot of performance to save some power. (while then giving up the power advantage to run x86 code through a translation layer).
You're acting like the Mac Pro is a workstation!

It would be nice if all the "omg Apple is switching to ARM" people would think things through a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if an ARM processor shows up in a Mac Pro (wouldn't expect one either) but it would never be the main chip. But yeah, I think the likelihood is very very low (just to reiterate so people don't jump on me, thinking I'm saying the exact opposite of what I'm attempting to say).

Regarding the AEBS and Timecapsule, I'm actually kind of excited about this. The current ones are space heaters and if they also upgrade the drives in them I would seriously consider upgrading.
NAG is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:35 PM   #34
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmster View Post
ARM is coming!
Quote:
ARM Mac Pro? About time!
Which ARM processor would be capable of running the Mac Pro at a higher level than Sandy Bridge?
AppleScruff1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:35 PM   #35
Ferazel
macrumors member

The custom Mac Pro processor is probably just a custom Sandy Bridge desktop chip that allows for multi-socketed motherboards. I seriously doubt it is as extreme as an entirely new architecture (like ARM).

Or it may just be that Apple is going to release a desktop chip in their single-CPU towers and save quite a bit of cost and upgrade the multi-processors later. The advantage that a Xeon vs. Desktop variant is relatively minor. As I said elsewhere, a bigger speed boost to the system overall would be to include a quality SSD instead of paying to get a very minor speed increase from the CPUs.
Ferazel is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:36 PM   #36
keruah
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
OMG, are you serious? I was joking.
keruah is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:38 PM   #37
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferazel View Post
The custom Mac Pro processor is probably just a custom Sandy Bridge desktop chip that allows for multi-socketed motherboards. I seriously doubt it is as extreme as an entirely new architecture (like ARM).
Or maybe it's a really awesome custom Xeon.
WestonHarvey1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:38 PM   #38
Bafflefish
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBug2 View Post
To be honest, the only thing I can infer about the custom CPU rumor is the size.

If Apple plans to shrink the size of the Mac Pro, they may need special processors for it in terms of size.
I'm thinking it might just be a modified LGA 1155 Sandy Bridge with 1-2 QPI links. Essentially it's a stop-gap between the desktop and server variants of Sandy Bridge. They could then later allow the higher-end Mac Pros to switch to LGA 2011 for those wanting additional features, such as ECC RAM, etc., while the lower-end Mac Pro(s) could have more of a desktop "flavor" with (ideally) lower pricing to drive greater adoption than what they've likely seen the last few years.

Edit - Or possibly an early-introduction of LGA 1356. Forgot that it's still set to debut as well, given LGA 2011 gets most of the attention.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:42 PM   #39
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
They might just enable the PCIe 3.0 support on Xeon-E3. I will be surprised if anything based on the X79 platform shows up. Maybe it will be an early stepping of Xeon E5.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:43 PM   #40
justinfreid
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to justinfreid Send a message via AIM to justinfreid Send a message via MSN to justinfreid Send a message via Yahoo to justinfreid Send a message via Skype™ to justinfreid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Baptist View Post
I'd like to see the Nvidia/Intel graphics comparison as well.

I heard someone mention the possibility of Thunderbolting two Minis together, is this actually an existing or planned procedure? It would be an interesting idea.
Do you mean in order to network them or to have them share a processing load? I think fiber networks may still be better for grid computing: http://www.apple.com/science/hardwar...computing.html.
justinfreid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:43 PM   #41
theSeb
macrumors 603

Quote:
ARM Mac Pro? About time!
Huh? Using what ARM processor exactly? 50 of them? Did you miss that it's a chip from Intel? ARM <> Intel
theSeb is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:45 PM   #42
theSeb
macrumors 603

Quote:
OMG, are you serious? I was joking.
Oh. Never mind then.
theSeb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:46 PM   #43
miografico
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bafflefish View Post
I'm thinking it might just be a modified LGA 1155 Sandy Bridge with 1-2 QPI links. Essentially it's a stop-gap between the desktop and server variants of Sandy Bridge. They could then later allow the higher-end Mac Pros to switch to LGA 2011 for those wanting additional features, such as ECC RAM, etc., while the lower-end Mac Pro(s) could have more of a desktop "flavor" with (ideally) lower pricing to drive greater adoption than what they've likely seen the last few years.

Edit - Or possibly an early-introduction of LGA 1356. Forgot that it's still set to debut as well, given LGA 2011 gets most of the attention.
That would be interesting, but I don't believe they want a tower option to ever be an option for their regular consumers. It's fairly obvious the iMac will continue to be their, "desktop" for the average consumer, the Mini for their low end consumer and the Pro for workstations.

I am all for choices I just don't see it happening.
miografico is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:46 PM   #44
theSeb
macrumors 603

Quote:

So what you're saying is that this will be the headless mini mac pro that I've been pestering Steve for? let's start a new rumour!
theSeb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:47 PM   #45
iBug2
macrumors 68040

Quote:

Possible and many would welcome such change. Because you'd get the same performance for less money. ECC RAM is really overkill for most workstation work.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:50 PM   #46
kdimitt
macrumors member

Comparison of graphics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkarris View Post
Ha, ha, remember that version IGA outperformed the nVidia in lower graphics mode?

Has someone posted the benchmarks yet on the actual MBP's comparing the Core 2 Duo with nVidia verses the Intel SB's?
Are there current benchmarks that compare the C2D with nVidia graphics vs. the combine Intel SB?

I know little about graphics so I hope someone can explain the comparisons between the two. Wouldn't taking a step back in graphics for the sake of integration be stupid?

Simple question, if the mini has the new Sandy Bridge processor (graphics combined) will there be less graphical power then the intel's with the nVidia chip?

Hope for an honest and straightforward answer, I would really like to be informed not harassed.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:51 PM   #47
Bafflefish
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidorian View Post
They might just enable the PCIe 3.0 support on Xeon-E3. I will be surprised if anything based on the X79 platform shows up. Maybe it will be an early stepping of Xeon E5.
That could be, but I don't know of any multi-socket Xeon-E3 boards? If they exist, then I could see that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miografico View Post
That would be interesting, but I don't believe they want a tower option to ever be an option for their regular consumers. It's fairly obvious the iMac will continue to be their, "desktop" for the average consumer, the Mini for their low end consumer and the Pro for workstations.

I am all for choices I just don't see it happening.
Well, remember that up until the Intel change, Apple regularly offered Power Macs in the $1500- $1800 range. Granted, their high-end iMacs now slot into this price range, but I could definitely see Apple looking to offer at least one Mac Pro in a lower price category than the current $2500 model.

Quote:
Possible and many would welcome such change. Because you'd get the same performance for less money. ECC RAM is really overkill for most workstation work.
Exactly. I can see ECC RAM for the top-end Mac Pros, but it doesn't make much sense for entry-model workstations. The same goes for some of the other features present.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:51 PM   #48
hugodrax
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Ecc ram is not overkill for a workstation, but for a regular desktop then yes.

But the Mac pro is a workstation.
hugodrax is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:51 PM   #49
Dont Hurt Me
macrumors 603

Lets hope Mini does get those crappy Intel graphics.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:51 PM   #50
Skika
macrumors 68020

I never understood what are the benefits of MacPro being smaller

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion