Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple did indeed test out a black powder-coated MacBook Air, but the treatment absorbed body oils and didn't live up to Steve's standards, according to an anonymous Apple employee.

macbookair-500x99.jpg

This employee got in touch after we wrote about emails we'd received claiming that the next-generation MacBook Air would have a black option.

The email:
The rumors that the next iteration of the MBA's will have an optional black finish is grounded in truth.

We tried to powder coat the Air's (and Pro's for that matter) in black as a test run. There are more than a few floating around campus.

The coating looks good and holds up well, but it also soaks up body oils, making the palm rest look pretty gross. Ultimately that is the reason that the top brass (Jobs) killed the idea... it was just too easy to make the computer look like crap.

At some point we may offer a black coating, but it won't be powder coat, and it won't be anytime soon.
The sender doesn't have an existing track record, but after chatting with him, we suspect his story checks out.

Article Link: Apple Tried And Failed To Make A Black MacBook Air

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
That's a shame. I'd love to get one of these black puppies if they can sort out the coat.

Macopotamus

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
I have seen black aluminum PC laptops, surely Apple can pull it off if Sony and Lenovo can.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
The title of this article seems very unMacrumors-like. Must be written by the new guy.
The title, however, did give me a good chuckle.

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
So that's why we saw black prototypes on eBay. I look forward to seeing a black model though. It's also normal that Apple slashed that idea off if it deteriorated the looks of their computers-- they are all for image.

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
I have seen black aluminum PC laptops, surely Apple can pull it off if Sony and Lenovo can.

Sorry but, "black aluminum PC laptops" and Apple don't belong in the same sentence..... Because there is a difference

Steve made the right decision, but I'm glad he realizes that the Black Mac needs to come back.

jlgolson

Contributing Editor
Jun 2, 2011
Durango, CO
The title of this article seems very unMacrumors-like. Must be written by the new guy.
You should have seen the first version!

Steve Jobs Killed Black MacBook Air Because Your Greasy Palms Made It Gross

OK, just kidding. But I appreciate y'all bearing with me while I do my best to learn the MacRumors style.

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA

Kinda rough on the "new" editor Jordan aren't you?? Give people a chance, I'm sure when you start something new, you come out doing it perfectly right? .... Not :rolleyes:

PorterRocks

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
Idaho
Do people claiming to be Apple employees that are "in the know" write to MacRumors often? I'm going to guess not.

As such, I'm still hopeful for a black MBA.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
you should have seen the first version!

Steve jobs killed black macbook air because your greasy palms made it gross

ok, just kidding. But i appreciate y'all bearing with me while i do my best to learn the macrumors style.

kinda rough on the "new" editor jordan aren't you?? Give people a chance, i'm sure when you start something new, you come out doing it perfectly right? .... Not :rolleyes:
Whoa ... I never said I didn't like the new style, I was just pointing out that it's a bit different.
If you must know though, I like the variety! :) Keep up the great work.

Last edited:

theman123

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2008
Sorry but, "black aluminum PC laptops" and Apple don't belong in the same sentence..... Because there is a difference

Steve made the right decision, but I'm glad he realizes that the Black Mac needs to come back.

If Lenovo can make a quality aluminum black laptop, why can't apple?

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2009

Only in your mind.

skitzogreg

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
Arkansas
Even still, think about it:

Dual Core + Integrated Graphics + Black = $350 Black Macbook on Craigslist.

This is also a good indicator of the next iteration of MBA's (with an SSD of course).

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
You should have seen the first version!

Steve Jobs Killed Black MacBook Air Because Your Greasy Palms Made It Gross

OK, just kidding. But I appreciate y'all bearing with me while I do my best to learn the MacRumors style.

Keep it up Jordan ... You only learn and get better by doing more articles, and you have a great team to reach out to that can help you smooth out the rough edges....we all gotta start somewhere

kjjnk

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2011
Sounds like the aluminum pitting that happened on the pre-unibody MacBook Pro's (which I believe were powder-coated) from your oils and sweat.

macbookpropitting.jpg

RedReplicant

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
Hm, that's a shame. I'm kind of curious what they did with the trackpad to make it black, doing the rest of the computer isn't difficult.

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
If Lenovo can make a quality aluminum black laptop, why can't apple?

Lenovo doesn't make anything quality, with that said, here are the Reviews of the laptop your claiming, notice how 1 writer says exactly what made Steve axe the project...hmmmm ...and you say lenovo make quality?? how about less quality ;)

Only in your mind.

Really? How so? (I'm up for a tasteful debate)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.