Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masteroflondon

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
London, UK
It's not officially supported by Apple but I've been using it for years without any problems.

It is officially supported by Apple when using Apple devices such as Airport Extreme. The AirPort Utility explicitly offers the option and Apples statement about not supporting it specifically refers to the use of third party devices.

Reactions: Jhonjhon236

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
+1 for the cheaper Airport Extreme.
I'm not paying $170 for a router that only has 3 ports. I think I'd rather get something cheaper, with 4 ports, and spend an additional 10 minutes setting it up.

I find the Airports to actually actually take more time to configure, and it is annoying as !$@# to have to restart them to apply most changes. Nevertheless - I like them; When configured, they work.

If the Extreme had four LAN ports, I'm sure the people needing five would be very vocal. :p

But yeah, more LAN ports wouldn't hurt. Shouldn't add much to the cost or be a downside for people needing fewer. I'm currently fine with three ports however, so I don't really care, I'm more interested in added functionality.

EmpyreanUK

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
****. I paid £145 for an Airport Extreme about six weeks ago :( It now seems as though there'll be an improved version at a lower costs. At the time I bought it I told myself it would make more sense to wait until I've moved (end of July). Patience!

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Wow!

If Apple keeps going like this it won't be to long until they can have a single massive event where they update all their hardware products.

MacBook
MacBook Pro
MacBook Air
Displays
Mac Mini
Mac Pro
iPods
iPod Touch
Airport/Time Cap.
iPhone

What else?

That only leaves off iPad and iMac that have been recently updated...

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
This may sound like a weird question but: What day is "today"?

The article said they may launch as early as tuesday, but what day is it now from macrumors time? I live in Australia and it's tuesday night here.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
This may sound like a weird question but: What day is "today"?

The article said they may launch as early as tuesday, but what day is it now from macrumors time? I live in Australia and it's tuesday night here.

It's funny, because it's Tuesday here now in the states and even the article was time stamped 12:50am Tuesday. I thought it was a bit confusing too. So basically, we'll see in a couple of hours if these products launch or not.

applefan27073

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2011
Australia
Pity, I use my Airport Extreme to heat my house in winter. No upgrade for me.

Hehe! :p:p Seems like Apple consistently does this with products! Love the Mac Pro for that reason (why I go to the Apple Store for no other reason on a cold day in winter!!!)

However, it can get REALLY hot in summer, hence why I have not got a Mac Pro or an AirPort extreme!

Having said that, :eek::eek: 3TB!?!? :eek::eek:

GO APPLE! :D:D

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
It's funny, because it's Tuesday here now in the states and even the article was time stamped 12:50am Tuesday. I thought it was a bit confusing too. So basically, we'll see in a couple of hours if these products launch or not.
Aha, I see. Thanks! :p

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
It is officially supported by Apple when using Apple devices such as Airport Extreme. The AirPort Utility explicitly offers the option and Apples statement about not supporting it specifically refers to the use of third party devices.

No, it isn't officially supported by Apple even though it works perfectly fine for most people.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.6/en/15139.html

Time Machine can’t back up to an external disk connected to an AirPort Extreme

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I find the Airports to actually actually take more time to configure, and it is annoying as !$@# to have to restart them to apply most changes. Nevertheless - I like them; When configured, they work.

If the Extreme had four LAN ports, I'm sure the people needing five would be very vocal. :p

But yeah, more LAN ports wouldn't hurt. Shouldn't add much to the cost or be a downside for people needing fewer. I'm currently fine with three ports however, so I don't really care, I'm more interested in added functionality.

For some reason, I can never get routers up and running the first time I mess with the settings. I know what information I need to fill in where, but it only ends up working after 20 minutes of frustration... for some reason. It's only a once in a every couple of years deal, so it's still not worth my $170 bucks. My $50 Netgear router (which is now only $30 :p) is still kicking after 3 years. I also can take advantage of my full internet bandwidth (2MB/s down - 25Mb/s) all the way on the other side of my house over WiFi.

Basically what I'm saying is that a price drop is welcomed for AEBS. A lot of people, like myself, can't really justify a price tag of $170.

ARobinson

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Welcome news!! I have wanted a magic caching smart device that will serve as my backup and middle man between Apple (now iCloud, i guess). Maybe this will be it. Updating all my hardware when I walk into the house...without having to lift my finger. Cuz I am lazy! :) Not an groundbreaking idea, but something practical all Apple users can use and will likely want. Definitely safer too! With all these cloud services susceptible to hacks.

Last edited by a moderator:

applefan27073

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2011
Australia
If Apple keeps going like this it won't be to long until they can have a single massive event where they update all their hardware products.

MacBook
MacBook Pro
MacBook Air
Displays
Mac Mini
Mac Pro
iPods
iPod Touch
Airport/Time Cap.
iPhone

What else?

That only leaves off iPad and iMac that have been recently updated...

I don't want a 10 hour keynote, and the :apple: stores would have a queue miles long as they already have LONG delays for the iPhone and / or iPads!

However, i still agree with this:

Does anyone feel like the White MacBooks haven't been updated recently???

stringent

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2011
London
NAS should not be used as a single data store. You should use it as a backup only. So you have a copy of your data on your computer, and a backup copy, therefore if one goes you have another copy somewhere else. So even if the NAS dies you still have your computer copy to work from, then back that up when your new NAS box comes.

2 copies of data on two different devices as a minimum.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
TC doesn't get good reviews at the online Apple stores. I'd be scared to buy one...

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
+1 for the cheaper Airport Extreme.
I'm not paying $170 for a router that only has 3 ports. I think I'd rather get something cheaper, with 4 ports, and spend an additional 10 minutes setting it up.

First of all, how much do you need an additional port? The only things I have are the DSL modem going in and a cable going out to a device that allows me to connect to my Dish Network receivers. Anything worth a damn has WiFi for *most* home users.

As far as the extra 10 minutes setting it up, OH if it were only so simple. First of all, the last Linksys router I bough took 10 minutes to NOT set up, and then maybe another 10 to actually set it up. Anything with a "wizard" involved is evil. Secondly, it's not the setup that worries me. It's the "I need to change this" later on. I was able to pretty simply set up my AEBS for use with a remote desktop app. Everything else seems so much more like managing a device instead of launching a rocket through a Web browser. My DSL modem has one of those browser-based setup things, and I so hate it.

I'm still having trouble figuring out why my AEBS doesn't exactly seem to route stuff well, but I think I may have messed around with the wrong thing. When one device is highly active on the Internet, every other device pretty much has a dial-up connection if anything. Maybe the pipe coming into my house is doing that, but you think a 6Mbps connection would route properly. But I digress.

I love these things and only wish they were cheaper. People see the cheaper routers and automatically leap at 'em. The two I have had saved me plenty of headaches compared to the two Linksys routers.

JabbaII

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2007
My guesses for new features of the new time capsule:
- sync with icloud
- better reception / speed via multiple antennas
- itunes server
- smaller foot print
- 4 lan ports

May be
- audio + video (HDMI?) DLNA??

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast
My guesses for new features of the new time capsule:
- sync with icloud
- better reception / speed via multiple antennas
- itunes server
- smaller foot print
- 4 lan ports

May be
- audio + video (HDMI?) DLNA??

Video/Audio iTunes server would make my month ... I currently have Mac Mini doing that and it'd be a smaller / cheaper replacement.

M

crispy12

Suspended
Oct 6, 2010
My DSL modem has one of those browser-based setup things, and I so hate it.

I used my iPad to set up my dlink router wirelessly and it took all of 5 minutes. The 5 minutes was setting up the ADSL connection. It cost under a $100 too. I can set up port forwarding or restart my router through the interface, on my iPad! Having a browser interface is so useful I can't see why it could possibly be a negative.

Maybe you should learn to use it?

creeman

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
Video/Audio iTunes server would make my month ... I currently have Mac Mini doing that and it'd be a smaller / cheaper replacement.

M

That would be GREAT. I just installed the server app on Mac OS Lion hoping their would be some sort of iTunes server thing, but there was nothing. Having my TC be the server would be fantastic!

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Aha, I see. Thanks! :p

Sure thing :)

TC doesn't get good reviews at the online Apple stores. I'd be scared to buy one...

The current third generation seemed to have remedied much of the failure rate that plagued the previous generations before it. It ran quieter and cooler. I've had mine since it last refreshed now....doing great still. Really can't wait to see how much more efficient the 4th gen models will be. These new models should most definitely be very stable. Heck, they've had 4 generations to improve it, so I'd be very confident to buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.