Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Jun 21, 2011, 05:37 PM   #11
RamGuy
macrumors regular

I can't say much about Synology but I have been using a Qnap TS-459 Pro with 4x Western Digital RE4 2TB hard drives in RAID5 and it didn't preform as well as I had hoped.

I have both Windows and Mac machines and both struggled with high delay on the network storage (it's not related to wireless connection as it did occur on my desktops running CAT7 cabling.) and as we've got a Netgear SRX5308 Enterprise / Firewall router I highly doubt it had anything to do with the router struggling with the data. Sometimes it could take several minutes just to get connected to the NAS in the first place which I find rather odd with such good preforming server grade hard drives and such an expensive and supposedly good preforming NAS device.

I also struggled a lot with different features like TimeMachine Backup which supposedly would natively support my MacBook Pro's TimeMachine features which it didn't. My notebooks simply refused to backup to the TS-459 and this problem occur with several different firmwares.

After a while though the entire thing went loopy, I could change the configuration but the NAS would simply refuse to save them, suddenly it couldn't update the firmware nor reset back to factory default settings so now I've done a RMA on it and as lucky that I' am I live in Norway so now I'm in a situation whereas I can select whatever NAS-device available form the store I bought it for the same price no matter if it's Qnap, Synology, Cisco or whatever brand I wish that the store has to offer.

But this makes we want to reconsider going Qnap ones more, the reason why I had so much trouble with my TS-459 Pro might have been because it was faulty from day one but I can't help the feeling that not all these rather expensive NAS devices actually preform as good as they should for the price.

Now I'm considering whether I should pick up another NAS device, and which or if I should simply put my hard drives into my desktop computer and turning it into a file server and buy myself a Mac Mini and use that as iTunes server and TimeMachine backup. Is there any NAS device that actually can run HFS+ filesystem or something like ZFS? I just have the feeling that might work better than EXT3 and EXT4 filesystems that Qnap and Synology sticks to.
RamGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice