Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
I think anybody who was expecting this to be ready to slot into a professional production workflow from day 1 has either not been following the relevant blog posts leading up to this release, or they're being somewhat naive. Apple aren't exactly famous for their airtight x.0 releases, and I for one wasn't expecting this to be any different.

I think now is a good time for FCP vets to start learning the new paradigms in preparation for when it reaches an acceptable level of maturity, and now is also obviously good for newcomers to the FCP fold to start learning their chops, but anybody who is either denouncing this as a write-off or claiming it to be the best thing ever when it's just 24 hrs old is probably jumping the gun somewhat.

This needs to be reposted. You're 100% correct, and while yes, on one hand Apple should have waited to have a more finished product, but on the other hand this allows current FCP users to get antiquated with the new FCPX.

I just hope Apple deletes all the reviews at some point to clear out all the idiotic negative reviews from people who have no idea what they're talking about or what they really want.

So disappointed...the more I think about it, the more I realize they are marketing this towards consumers. It was built for consumers. But what does this mean for all of us loyal FCP editors? We jump ship?

No, it means you stop acting like a victim or like Apple owes you something and realize you can make choices.

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA
My guess is that the Marketing department won the battle over the release date. I can only imagine there are several angry/embarrassed Apple FCP engineers on campus today. I suspect that had this been released in December or early next year... the necessary professional features to actually get the project out the door would have been included. Pretty bummed I dropped $299 for a program that's going to collect dust until they add the features sometime in the nebulous future.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
So why can't you take two cameras, stack their video and then cut back and forth between them? Just please explain in dummy terms what is missing re: Multicam

You can do this, but NOT having Multicam is like going backwards like 6-7 years ago to FCP4.

Multicam is a huge time saver for editing event videos in particular. With clips synced I could blaze away like I was switching a live show, but even better, could JKL to control speed, setup the keypad for 1, 2, 3 etc and cut way faster than realtime.

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA
This needs to be reposted. You're 100% correct, and while yes, on one hand Apple should have waited to have a more finished product, but on the other hand this allows current FCP users to get antiquated with the new FCPX.

I just hope Apple deletes all the reviews at some point to clear out all the idiotic negative reviews from people who have no idea what they're talking about or what they really want.

"Antiquated" indeed... LOL

jrlcopy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
Disclaimer: I am NOT a professional video editor

What is "multicam" and how is it different from "supporting multiple video tracks" ?

If I were to guess, multicam means 2+ cameras recording the same event from different angles and giving a mechanism to quickly sync those streams and switch between the various angles. This is what I think people are saying is missing.

Multiple video tracks = I can stack different clips and cut between them and overlay them. This I am assuming it DOES support, right?

So why can't you take two cameras, stack their video and then cut back and forth between them? Just please explain in dummy terms what is missing re: Multicam

Basically, on shows I work on, we have up to 11 cameras at a time, with 44 audio tracks (one for each celb, audience audio, etc... We mix in 5.1). When we are editing we 'group the clips' together in order to create a single clip that we double click and it gets loaded into the source monitor, and displays all cameras which play back simultaneously. And we're always able to instantly match back, extend shots, find out where we left off, etc..

We can then splice that clip into a timeline, and always change the camera or audio track by just right clicking the clip. The way you described does work, but for small things that you can do a couple 'add edits' and copy and paste, but we can't keep going back to the 'synced' sequence like that and finding where we got xyz from in our ever changing environment.

Basically, until fcpx has multicam support there is no way it can be used in a tv project that shoots with more than one camera. The network won't allow the production to waste time with a workflow when they could just choose another piece of software that does it efficiently. Reality TV Shows, Network shows, all tv is very very cheap.

EDIT: The biggest problem with this is that Apple didn't need to do all this, they could have just updated FCP to FCP 8 or whatever and introduced support, they are adding features or just introducing features that other software has had for years now. And now they have to go back and reprogram features that we've had for 6 years with other software and FCP7. Honestly the last REAL revision was in 2007 with FCP6. That's 4 years of very little bug fixes, 4 years of not introducing new features and 4 years to build an application that was on Par with what we had a long time ago (FEATURE WISE).

Yes, FCP 7 does a lot under the hood, but as far as what it has x64bit, use of multicores, we already have had that with competitors for a year or two now (Top of my head for this 'fact').

Even with the fastest programmers, how long would this take to get it to where FEATURE LEVEL it was on par with FCP7?

Last edited:

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
Hopefully there will be more of the same features coming to FCX that already exist on FCP7. Yeah, while it does seem aimed more at the casual or prosumer user, I would hope the reason Apple rolled it out in it's current form is to merely get a sense of the software in a real world environment. But what do I know? I'm just some guy postulating.
That being said, I was planning on waiting anyway. I'm fine using FCP7 for now.

However, the one thing that Apple seems to do lately that worries me is the fact they seem to simplify everything. Not every product or piece of software needs to be marketed to the casual end user. I hope that isn't the case here, where FCX is merely a slightly jacked up version of iMovie.

Time will tell.

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA
However, the one thing that Apple seems to do lately that worries me is the fact they seem to simplify everything. Not every product or piece of software needs to be marketed to the casual end user. I hope that isn't the case here, where FCX is merely a slightly jacked up version of iMovie.

Time will tell.

My sentiments exactly.....

I love a lot of the new features for editing. Makes complex edits so much simpler. But there are some things you absolutely have to have total control... and I hope they don't jack that up.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
I'm pretty sure 90% of those negative reviews come from people who never used the app.

this i can agree with.. however some of the complaints of missing features are completely valid. let's hope they release a REAL version soon to warrant the price tag

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
My sentiments exactly.....

I love a lot of the new features for editing. Makes complex edits so much simpler. But there are some things you absolutely have to have total control... and I hope they don't jack that up.
Exactly. The streamlined control would be fantastic. Rendering on the fly, etc. But if there isn't any real power under the hood....

njvan

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2009
It just works?

Needed to open a previous project to make changes and found I couldn't inside Final Cut Pro X. I loaded up 7 to the following screen.

Attachments

• final-cut-pro-x.jpg
    final-cut-pro-x.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 275

nine

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2002
I'm using Final Cut Express which suits my needs.
I'm wondering if FCX is a better upgrade currently & if not can FCE users take advantage of integration between the new Motion 5, Compressor, & FCE.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Mixed?

Let's see what Steve has to say to this!

Honestly, you're emailing Steve Jobs about this? And, you're emailing him to get your money back? You know Apple made this whole Mac App store that has things like, "help" where you can go to to request things like refunds.

Don't be stupid.

ARobinson

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I'm pretty sure 90% of those negative reviews come from people who never used the app.

I strongly disagree. I think the strongest negatives are coming from editors like myself who use FCP7 EVERY SINGE DAY!! Consumers can welcome this product with open arms, because it was built for them. However, the current version is not of use to editors, in terms of their workflows and deliverables. Those who use FCP and gave a positive review are optimists. They probably even acknowledge all its faults. I commend their loyalty.

Uncle David

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2011
See you in 18 months

I'm excited about the future GM version of FCP X, but this isn't it. This version is little more than a Beta version that we have to pay to test out. Apple should have been more forthcoming regarding this application's 'professional' capabilities. Or, more aptly named it 'iMovie Pro' as many have suggested.

I just hope I don't have to pay again for the upgrades that will enable me to use this app on a 'professional' level.

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
My guess is that the Marketing department won the battle over the release date. I can only imagine there are several angry/embarrassed Apple FCP engineers on campus today. I suspect that had this been released in December or early next year... the necessary professional features to actually get the project out the door would have been included. Pretty bummed I dropped $299 for a program that's going to collect dust until they add the features sometime in the nebulous future.

"Dust" since it's only available on the Mac App Store ;)

Anaemik

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009

The complaints from the reviews I have read all seem 100% legitimate.

However, while I can appreciate the desire to get your hands on the latest version of your "bread and butter" software ASAP, it may well have been prudent for a number of those people with valid complaints to have waited a day or two for the first proper reviews to come in before hitting "buy" on the App Store.

tcampb01

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2005
Mixed? You are too kind

To say the reaction is "mixed" is being extremely kind to Apple (and undeservedly so.)

The Apple discussion forums are full of posts from extremely angry customers who are all demanding their money back. This is basically a product launch disaster of the worst kind for Apple.

Apple generally gets good reviews even when they publish marginal software. To get these kinds of reviews means the software is a steaming pile.

BTW, I have evaluated the software and can vouch for the fact that it IS a steaming pile.

It's basically "iMove Pro" except Apple has deceptively tried to pass it off as the next version of Final Cut Pro. It is _not_ a real 'pro' app and shouldn't have a price tag of more than about $50 -- and that's me being kind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.