Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allelala

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
I am trying to create an Excel workbook where I have all entire months invoices and each invoice is on a new sheet in the workbook. How can I make it so that the invoice number on each sheet will be incremented by 1.
So that the first invoice on the first sheet might be 2011-001, and the next invoice on the next sheet could automatically be 2011-002. Is this possible?
All the information about sequential numbers that I could find said that this requires writing macros, which I am not able to do (I don't believe) in the MS Excel for Mac 2008 version.

Any ideas how to do this would be greatly appreciated!

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
Use a formula which references the sheet before

e.g. =Sheet1!A1+1
=Sheet2!A1+1

You could use =INFO("numfile") to get the number of active sheets, but I see problems with this changing existing data.

or have a master sheet at the front with invoice no and contact details on (good for analysis) and reference that.

This is all pretty clumsy though. I would knock up a quick database in Filemaker and manage the whole invoice that way with the potential for analysis and using tables for clients and products/services as well as invoices. They are bound to do a template for this so would be minimal work. Depends on the number of invoices a month I suppose. If a small number manual numbers might be the answer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.