Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

highdefw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2009
Thanks for the help everyone. I've been using my 2009 2.26 octo MP since January. Suddenly today it powered off. To be specific, I had a 7-port USB hub connected via usb to the MP. When I plugged in the AC adapter to fully power the hub, the Mac Pro turned off!!!

I unplugged everything and tried resetting the SMC, no go. The power LED startup light doesnt even come on. If I hit the DIAG LED button on the backboard, a yellow bulb lights up next to "SV STBY", nothing else. Anyone know what that means?

I am not under warranty. Is there anything I can do to figure out the problem? Could it be the PSU or backboard?

Thanks

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
Thanks for the help everyone. I've been using my 2009 2.26 octo MP since January. Suddenly today it powered off. To be specific, I had a 7-port USB hub connected via usb to the MP. When I plugged in the AC adapter to fully power the hub, the Mac Pro turned off!!!

I unplugged everything and tried resetting the SMC, no go. The power LED startup light doesnt even come on. If I hit the DIAG LED button on the backboard, a yellow bulb lights up next to "SV STBY", nothing else. Anyone know what that means?

I am not under warranty. Is there anything I can do to figure out the problem? Could it be the PSU or backboard?

Thanks

Really could be anything just take it into apple they can see whats wrong with it i believe. and they should give you a quote before they charge you anything
Im not sure you should check first

Darien Red Sox

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
CT, USA
Disconnect the front panel board (the board with the power button, front USB, exc) and then try jumping SYS_PWR solder pads on the motherboard. If it starts than it is most likely a bad front panel board. If not I can provide farther troubleshooting info.

highdefw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2009
Looking around, but where is the SYS_PWR solder pad on the board? And what's the best way to jump them?

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Looking around, but where is the SYS_PWR solder pad on the board? And what's the best way to jump them?

Not sure where the SYS_PWR is but you can jump it by putting touching both leads at the same time with a metal screwdriver. Be careful and make sure you're jumping the right leads.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
The PSU for that USB hub in the OPs URL looks like the same that Monoprice uses for nearly everything that I've bought from them, however I've never, ever been disappointed with MonoPrices quality, but I'd imagine that would be a similar if not same hub MonoPrice at least WOULD sell, and thus use the same PSU AC power adapter which in theory could be causing the same issue that odinsride had.

highdefw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2009
Reason I asked is because I had the same issue using a cheap monoprice hub. Does your system boot with the hub and all USB devices (other than mouse/kb) unplugged?

Haven't tried booting it with the hub attached... scared to even dare try that... It looks like it only shorted out the front panel board, so I'm having that replaced. Hopefully it's nothing more. The backboard plane and PSU seem to be ok...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.