Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
The Alaska Airlines article covered that:

This sounds like a bit of a disconnect. Based on the vast amount of plane info and maps in the device, it seems that the flight crew might need to consult them close to takeoff or landing.

http://avstop.com/feb_2011/executive_jet_receives_faa_authorization_to_use_jepp_charts_on_ipad.htm

February 12, 2011 - Jeppesen announced on Friday that Executive Jet Management has received authorization from the Federal Aviation Administration to use the Jeppesen Mobile TC App for iPad as an alternative to paper aeronautical charts.

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
Seems like an awful idea maps are wonderfully durable and don't require batteries.

I would hate to be a marine stuck in the middle of nowhere with a broken ipad and no idea how to read a map.

Technology is great but increased complexity comes with the potential for failure(s) always.

My god you're right. Thank god that planes don't use complex computers and electronics just to stay in the air at any given moment, and just about everything else.

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
This is great, but let's hope they didn't forget to charge the iPad before take off... And also, let's hope they have another iPad handy in the cock pit in case the one they're using dies.... ;)

Personally I don't care if all those things happen, as long as the autopilot keep on working.

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
My god you're right. Thank god that planes don't use complex computers and electronics just to stay in the air at any given moment, and just about everything else.

Way to compare apples to oranges, modern planes can't function without computers. Maps on the other hand work exceptionally well and continue to work when wet, shot, and after weeks without power.

Ipad(s) for pilots fine, but I wouldn't wan't to rely on something like this as a ground soldier.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Nice case!

Wow. If I had 14 iPads that I needed to transport all together, I'd get that cool Pelican case. (I have several Pelican cigars cases already, and they're excellent.)

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
That's pretty cool.

Kind of funny that ipads will soon help people kill other people though. Go figure.

Also, while these ipads are pretty useful (or extremely useful, probably), I'm pretty sure that any soldier with half a brain (or an important mission) will still have an old fashioned map as a backup.

Maybe they'll make some special ruggedized ipads for the military eventually...

usptact

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2011
Strange. I heard that every military equipment is super thoroughly tested with compliance to so-called MIL-XXXX standards. Is iPad conforming to those requirements??

kdarling

macrumors P6
A few notes:

Such devices have been in use since at least 2000, using PC and other tablets. One primary difference with the iPad is its price. Another is that it must be stowed during takeoff and landing, and cannot connect to the airplane's systems like some other, more expensive, certified devices.

Re: MIL SPEC. Yes, it will be interesting to see how Apple reacts to someone trying to get warranty work on an iPad full of sand, or with its moisture sensors triggered from being near water all the time.

True story about using non-mil parts: Decades ago the military budget was tight, so we made sure that everyone in our unit had a Radio Shack Battery-of-the-Month Club card when stateside, so we would have plenty of spare D cells to run our backpack EW radios when we deployed to the field.

Re: airplane interference. If you read the anonymous ASRS reports to NASA, there's been plenty of reports of interference over the years, from navigation to autopilots. Not to mention getting that ridiculous GSM buzz in the headphones of some older planes. I say, better safe than sorry.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Having been in the military for over 2 decades, I'm glad to see troops getting equipment that is actually useful for once.

Assuming the iPad wireless connectivity is cut off and these can only use certified apps, I'm guessing they are also SCIF certified. It will be interesting to see these being used in the field. Looks like Navy/Marines with iPads and Army with Android.

navedb

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2010

Yeah... and please do know that just as iPads can get broken... maps can tear! Well, if we don't appreciate technology... one most probably won't be sending e-mails... it would be smoke-mails.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
People should just memorize the maps because as mentioned maps can tear, they can burn, they can be damaged by bullets and explosions.

Memorize everything so there is no risk of something getting damaged! Unless you get killed, at which point it doesn't matter.

Baron58

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2004
This is cool, but what about the regulation that all electronic devices must be switched off during takeoff and landing??
Does not apply to devices which have been tested and approved under a Part 121 or 135 OpSpec. Also does not apply to devices on Part 91 flights with the flight crew's permission, so it's a non-issue.

I think the interference issue with airplanes is all BS, a panic inherited from many years ago.
Some flights now allow certain electronic devices to be used, even offer WiFi access.

Plus the whole world is saturated with RF interference. The plane itself generates RF.
The plane's sensors and antennas are external, such as Comm, Navigation, GPS, radio, etc.

In any case, all iOS devices and many others have what is called: "Airplane Mode".

You are entirely wrong.

This is great, but let's hope they didn't forget to charge the iPad before take off... And also, let's hope they have another iPad handy in the cock pit in case the one they're using dies.... ;)

Our OpSpec for using 'Electronic Flight Bags' on our Part 135 (charter) flights is that we must have 2 devices (1 for each crewmember), plus an on-board printer so that if one device fails the other can be used to print paper copies of the necessary approach charts on the spot, OR completely paperless if there is a third device switched off and stored so that if some electrical event disabled 2 devices the third one could be pulled out and turned on.

You still carry paper charts.
Not necessarily, see above. I fly frequently with only electronic charts.

What app do they use?
  • ForeFlight is the absolute best right now.
  • WingX has a few nice features, but everyone I know who's tried it goes to ForeFlight pretty soon.
  • Jeppesen Mobile TC only has approach plates right now, but will soon have enroute charts, at which point it will probably become the preferred solution for airlines and all non-US operators (ForeFlight has US charts only).
  • Lufthansa LIDO is what one US airline uses, but is not widely used in the US yet since it doesn't have full coverage.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
5 bucks says an iPad couldn't survive basis mil-spec hardware qualification testing.

Let's see how well an iPad holds up when being slammed with RF jamming equipment.

Not to mention the 3 foot drop test onto concrete, condensing humidity testing, water impingement, fungus / mold growth testing, UV exposure, gamma exposure, -40C operating temp...

Screw that, 10 bucks! :D

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Not necessarily, see above. I fly frequently with only electronic charts.

[/LIST]

To each his own, I guess. But I don't know why you'd not want to be prepared. Maybe a VFR flight you've done a million times, I don't know. But I want my charts and my whiz wheel and my handheld on every flight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.