Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Omg

Are we replacing hero worship of Jobs with worshipping Cook?

Cook.jpg

Apple is a company with products - look at the products, not the humans running the company.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
And they are making more every day.

as for :

"it seems likely that significant discussions are underway."

Duh, he is not going there for Chinese food.

Nor did he go there to have the fanboys critique his attire.

Sometimes this forum is so funny, I simply can't stop laughing. It's so hilarious to read what people reveal about themselves.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Might be time to re-look at that Apple stock. If an iPhone is released in China, suddenly Apple have access to 600 million more people. Look at how well the Chinese Apple stores are doing already.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
What I don't get is where are his companions? The acting CEO of Apple travels alone and carries his own luggage? Maybe the guy next to him is an interpreter, but still, Cook has to carry his own luggage? I bet Steve doesn't carry his own luggage.
The article states there are 7-8 people in his entourage, so they're probably out of the frame, perhaps behind him which would be the normal place for subordinates in terms of typical business protocol.

Tim's probably carrying his own briefcase -- not luggage, which would remain in the limo. He's probably pragmatic enough to believe that he'll know if he has his stuff if it's in his hands. Give it to someone else, and he'll be worrying about it more, not less.

Another possibility is the bag contains a gift for Cook's peer at China Mobile. Again, standard protocol would be for Cook to give the gift directly to that person, rather than have it handed to him from some lackey.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Might be time to re-look at that Apple stock. If an iPhone is released in China, suddenly Apple have access to 600 million more people. Look at how well the Chinese Apple stores are doing already.

Just imagine, 600 million people forming a line in front of the Apple Stores in China on launch day .... (they probably could form a line going forth and back between the two China Apple Stores)

bigrash

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
Come down people, he was only there to use the restroom. This has nothing to do with the iphone.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Are we replacing hero worship of Jobs with worshipping Cook?

Apple is a company with products - look at the products, not the humans running the company.

Apple is a company that happens to have a few larger than life type executives. Deal with it. Your obsession with having to bash the company in every post is silly.

LeCorsaire

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2010
What I don't get is where are his companions? The acting CEO of Apple travels alone and carries his own luggage? Maybe the guy next to him is an interpreter, but still, Cook has to carry his own luggage? I bet Steve doesn't carry his own luggage.

He has to. There is an brand new IPhone 5 in the bag.

macrumorsuser10

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2010
Throwing a navy blazer over a pair of khakis is a minimal nod to standard protocol.

Not a big deal.

Let's talk style. I work in a large software engineering company and want to up my game by buying my first blazer.

What's the difference between a sportscoat and a blazer?

Is there a difference between a black blazer and a navy blue blazer? Is black more formal?

How many buttons should I get?

Can I wear any colour shirt and khakis with a blazer?

Can I wear a polo shirt, or do I have to go with a button-down?

Thanks.

pinwanger

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2007
Is Android already available with China Mobile? Apple needs to make this deal happen to stay competitive. Could mean huge new sales numbers from the App. Stores.

wut ru smoking, china will have the biggest jailbreak community. no $ for apple.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
That's definitely T. Cook, and that's Barack Obama walking next to him.

Let's get real: NO ONE wears a suit or tie at APPLE. NO ONE. NO ONE even wears a sports coat. NO ONE!

bowtie.jpg

...oh.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
He probably feels that there's some value to showing a modicum of etiquette and respect in terms of business attire when he is overseas and being hosted in a country whose business people typically wear suits.

Note that Steve has been known to show up in attire other than his trademark black mock turtleneck, jeans, and sneakers for situations that call for something else (he wore a tux to the Academy Awards, for example).

Throwing a navy blazer over a pair of khakis is a minimal nod to standard protocol.

Not a big deal.

I never understood why a piece of clothing that was developed because some english king wanted a dress (with accompanying hankerchief hanging under the neck and all) for casual dinner get-togethers became the universal formal business attire around the globe. When are blue jeans, sneakers and turtlenecks going to become the new formal business attire?

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Let's talk style. I work in a large software engineering company and want to up my game by buying my first blazer.
You should read this first:

http://koniaris.com/dress/

You're welcome.

I never understood why a piece of clothing that was developed because some english king wanted a dress (with accompanying hankerchief hanging under the neck and all) for casual dinner get-togethers became the universal formal business attire around the globe. When are blue jeans, sneakers and turtlenecks going to become the new formal business attire?
Do not try to apply logic or reason to fashion.

Ping Guo

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

The iPhone was officially released on the China Unicom network in September 2010.

As far as 600 million potential customers, for the potential to be there then they must be able to afford the phone. Since customers must pay the full, unsubsidized price upfront, it's not likely that more than a small fraction of this base would be able to afford an iPhone. Furthermore, Chinese consumer spending has been fading from the glory days a few years back. Rapidly inflating food and commodity prices have compelled Chinese consumers to change their spending habits.

Cheerwino

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2011
S.C.
Just imagine, 600 million people forming a line in front of the Apple Stores in China on launch day .... (they probably could form a line going forth and back between the two China Apple Stores)

And the line would become so long, children would have get in line as infants so they would have an iPhone in time for college, grandparents would deed their place in line to their great-grandchildren, generations of people would be born, grow and die while in line...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.