Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 23, 2011, 04:36 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Releases WWDC 2011 Session Videos

Apple is in the process of posting videos from the WWDC 2011 on iTunes and Apple's developer page. The video page was updated briefly yesterday, but the videos were never posted but we have confirmed that they are available on iTunes.

The videos can be accessed by registered developers by visiting the Development Videos page and clicking on "Log in to iTunes" on the bottom left.

The videos can be downloaded in standard- or high-definition. HD videos can be viewed on a Mac, iPhone 4, 4th gen iPod touch, iPad or Apple TV.

Article Link: Apple Releases WWDC 2011 Session Videos
MacRumors is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 04:59 PM   #2
lettertojane
macrumors newbie

Great!

Last years collection helped me out greatly and this collection looks even better, I can't wait to watch them. Last year there was also a zip of all the sample code too, but I don't see any for this year. Am I missing it or is it not there?
lettertojane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 05:02 PM   #3
commander.data
macrumors 6502a

In 2010 they were up a week after WWDC, so I was worried Apple wasn't going to make these sessions freely available this year. It's great they are up now.
commander.data is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 05:03 PM   #4
RodThePlod
macrumors 6502a

Wicked!!!

Lots of useful stuff there for us that couldn't attend

RTP.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 05:10 PM   #5
chrmjenkins
macrumors 601

It's a shame the iPhone 5 hadn't been released. The sessions last year confirmed the 512MB RAM on iPhone 4 everyone was guessing about.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 05:14 PM   #6
themoffster
macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Any chance these would be available to non-registered devs?
I work as a developer in my job but haven't signed up as a developer in the apple world but these videos would interest me
themoffster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 05:19 PM   #7
commander.data
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by themoffster View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I work as a developer in my job but haven't signed up as a developer in the apple world but these videos would interest me
They are available to free, basic tier developers as well.
commander.data is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:13 PM   #8
t0mat0
macrumors 601

Least the slidedeck 109 shows isn't too hard to get for those with the correct credentials. Downloading the 109 HD shows is going to be an overnight job for many...
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:26 PM   #9
Torrijos
macrumors 6502

Some of these are must see for the skeptics that believe that Lion hasn't major changes in its entrails.
Torrijos is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:48 PM   #10
dolphin842
macrumors 65816

Given how quickly WWDC is selling out these days, I'm happy that Apple looks to be making a tradition of releasing these to aspiring devs.
dolphin842 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:56 PM   #11
Cromulent
macrumors 603

Even downloading at 6.2 megabytes/sec this is going to take awhile.

They look good though. I guess I'll dedicate some time in the next few days to watching a few.
Cromulent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 08:01 PM   #12
Nobita
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulent View Post
Even downloading at 6.2 megabytes/sec this is going to take awhile.

They look good though. I guess I'll dedicate some time in the next few days to watching a few.
3Mb/s here. Not downloading all of them, but 29 of them enough to eat some 20GB of my hard drive... Lucky I'm not on a macbook air
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:19 PM   #13
blow45
Banned

Great stuff, should keep us interested for a while, big whoop ass downloads btw, patience boys, and we ll get them.
blow45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:19 PM   #14
iCrizzo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by themoffster View Post

Sign up for the Safari developer program which is free and you can then view them.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:12 PM   #15
chrono1081
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrijos View Post
Some of these are must see for the skeptics that believe that Lion hasn't major changes in its entrails.
Agreed. And unfortunately, even though the OS underlying features say otherwise, we will still get the same garbage from people saying things like "APPLE DOESNT CARE ABOUT THE PROFESSIONALS ANYMORE" all over the forums (the same people who won't be able to describe how Lion hinders their workflow :P).

I myself am SUPER excited for OpenGL 3.2 since it means not only can I start learning OpenGL 3.2 programming but it also means that the amazing texture painting program Mari can come to the Mac.

EDIT: OMG they have an OpenGL video! Time to take a break from game making to watch a movie...
Old Jun 24, 2011, 06:26 AM   #16
JordanNZ
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrono1081 View Post
Agreed. And unfortunately, even though the OS underlying features say otherwise, we will still get the same garbage from people saying things like "APPLE DOESNT CARE ABOUT THE PROFESSIONALS ANYMORE" all over the forums (the same people who won't be able to describe how Lion hinders their workflow :P).

I myself am SUPER excited for OpenGL 3.2 since it means not only can I start learning OpenGL 3.2 programming but it also means that the amazing texture painting program Mari can come to the Mac.

EDIT: OMG they have an OpenGL video! Time to take a break from game making to watch a movie...
How was the video? Anything in there about 3.2 in particular?
JordanNZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 07:09 AM   #17
pagansoul
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Yahoo to pagansoul
Between my 'real' job, finance, I don't know when I'm going to be able to view all these lessons. I just started programing as a hobby this year but I love how Apple sets these things up. 110 videos. They should put these in iTunes U and get more people interested in running Apple OS. PS - I am registered but not a paying developer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	apple class.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	290972  

Last edited by pagansoul; Jun 24, 2011 at 07:24 AM.
pagansoul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 07:14 AM   #18
dethmaShine
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by commander.data View Post
They are available to free, basic tier developers as well.
You can view these videos even if you're not a registered paid developer?

I don't think that's true.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 07:46 AM   #19
Violin
macrumors newbie

As long as I've experienced yes, you can view this sessions even if you're not in the ADC program - I am in the developer program, and I've sent the videos page to my friend, who is a "free registered developer" and he success in downloading the videos too .

Anyway, I've waited for this sessions! So happy to see that Apple uploaded them, I only need to find now the related source code and move my schedule in order to view this 110 sessions (Yeah... that's kind of... impossible, but I'll try to view as much as I can )
Violin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 08:39 AM   #20
RoelJuun
macrumors 6502

Just registered as a Safari developer, just ticked some boxes to get registered (so it is possible). I'm not really interested in developing anytime soon, probably in a few years, but I'm just interested in the videos. How they explain/show all the new api's/features etc. I might just delete my account later on. The vids download at an amazing speed, very nice.
I hope that Apple will place them in the iTunes U for everyone to see. All this information does make people very interested in developing (people like me).
RoelJuun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 08:40 AM   #21
MrNomNoms

I've watched 3 videos already and I'm having a geekgasm - anyone who says that Lion is a minimal upgrade need to have a look at all 110 videos that are available then come back and repeat what they said. What I think the biggest thing will be be what third parties and Apple do when it comes to middleware.

After having a look at the videos I'm really shocked/surprised at how many changes they have made since Snow Leopard was released - the changes they've made are hardly things that one can complete on a rainy weekend.
MrNomNoms is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 09:19 AM   #22
star-affinity
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanNZ View Post
How was the video? Anything in there about 3.2 in particular?
I looked at most of the video a few hours ago, and if I understand correctly we could see quite big OpenGL performance improvements (i.e. frame rate improvements etc.) if developers start using the new ”OpenGL Core Profile” features in Lion. Looking at the demo at the end it seems quite capable of improving frame rates.

Would be great for games and other 3D applications.

I asked the developer Feral for any possible frame rate increases for the game Borderlands in Lion and got this reply:

...and unfortunately the advances in OpenGL that you refer to are not relevant to any performance increase.

I also mentioned that the Windows version of the game Bioshock is better in Windows (tried the demo on both Mac OS X and Windows 7 on the same hardware. The response on this:

The Mac version is slower than the PC on the same hardware because OpenGL does not have the features or optimisations that you will find in directX - this is because DirectX is designed specifically for gaming and as such has had over a billion dollars of R&D spent on it by Microsoft as part of the Xbox program.

Oh, well...

Last edited by star-affinity; Jun 24, 2011 at 02:29 PM.
star-affinity is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:49 AM   #23
Torrijos
macrumors 6502

Watching the OpenGL video for Lion right now...

It's a major improvement of OpenGL on the Mac and will probably lead to a speedier adoption of OpenGL standards... We might finally (in a few months) manage to be on part with the standard.
Torrijos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 08:55 PM   #24
mdriftmeyer
macrumors 68020

Quote:

It also means the move to OpenGL 3.3/4.x has overcome the big hurdle and will be capable of extending to these APIs additions sooner rather than later for Apple.
mdriftmeyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2011, 05:55 AM   #25
kocoman
macrumors regular

I keep on getting in iTunes (regular iTunes store is fine)

Could not complete the iTunes Store Request. The store may be busy.

Check your Internet connection and try again later.
kocoman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion