Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
I purchased the Mophie Juice Pack Plus for the iPhone 4 for my wife recently and am having some issues with it. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong. We're on our second case after having returned the first.

The issue is getting both the case and the phone to charge together to a full charge.

When we received the replacement case a few days ago, I installed it on the phone and then plugged it in with the USB cord connected to an iPad 2 power block. Next morning both were at 100%, no issues.

The next night did the same and when we checked in the morning, the case was not fully charged. The phone was.

Same thing last night. Plugged the case and phone in, both devices were completely drained. Next morning (about 7 hrs later), iPhone was at 100% but case was only two lights out of four.

My wife has taken the case off and plugged it into the USB on her work computer and it appears to be charging fine now (up to 4th light).

So the issue appears to be only when they are plugged in together. The case doesn't consistently accept a full charge. This is the same problem we had with the first unit.

Are we doing something wrong? BTW the iPhone 4 is about 1 year old and we suspect the battery is only working at about 70% capacity now (my wife cycles it a lot -- too much Words with Friends).

None of this should be an issue. I'd expect the "smart electronics" in the case to know where to send the juice and get both up to 100% charge over 6 hrs time, especially with the amps available from an iPad 2 charger.

Appreciate any assistance/advice. I don't want to keep returning these.

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

The juicepack plus takes a long time to charge. I remember at least 3 hours from zero - maybe mor so you're looking at that plus your phone. If both were at zero it's gonna take a while to fully charge.

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
I believe the issue is you didn't let it charge fully the first time.

The first time I charged mine I charged it overnight (10 or so hours). Both the phone and case were 100% (all lights on the case and 100% on the phone). After that mine worked fine.

I will say that if you drain both the case and the phone to almost zero as I do when on travel it takes a long time to charge them both. An overnight charge (typically during the week for me is 6-7 hours) doesn't do it. Takes a couple of days to get both back to 100% as long as I'm not using it heavily.

I would suggest charging both separately if you drain them.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Helpful responses - Thank you!

Based on this I'm thinking the case goes into a slower charging mode when the iPhone is connected. I know the iPhone typically charges in about 2 hrs. The case is supposedly another 3 hrs. Add them up and that's 5 hrs. But together they need much more than 7 hrs (my case was only at 1/2 charge after 7 hrs).

So I've told my wife to go ahead and charge them together if she starts off with at least 50%, otherwise separate them and charge independently. That should help.

The case was brought to full 100% the first night we had it, so I don't think there are any "break-in" or calibration issues happening here. Just a matter of very slow charging rate.

Chris Welch

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
New York
I just purchased this case yesterday. The charging function is working just fine. But when I plug it into my Mid-2010 MacBook Pro, the iPhone does not sync. In one USB port, it continually makes the noise you hear when you first plug the phone in. Over and over again. It seems to be losing it's connection. And it never shows up in iTunes.

In the other, it only makes the noise once, and seems to be charging properly, but still doesn't show up in iTunes. Has anyone experienced something similar? Did I just get a bad case?

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
It takes a few hours to charge the Plus by itself. If you have your iPhone 4 inserted, it will charge both and that will take even longer.

kneuburger

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2012
phone wont shut down with battery pack on in airplane

anyone experience this one. i was on a flight two days ago and kept shutting down the Iphone when the announcement was made to turn off electronics. It kept powering back up. i took the battery pack off and it finally shut down.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
I can only comment that after many hassles with the Mophie we finally gave up and got a BOOST Case for the iPhone. It's much more robust and reliable and my wife loves it. It also happens to be only $50 on Amazon. Note the very high ratings.

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
anyone experience this one. i was on a flight two days ago and kept shutting down the Iphone when the announcement was made to turn off electronics. It kept powering back up. i took the battery pack off and it finally shut down.

When the Juice Pack is turned on, it acts as a charger. So when you turn your iPhone off, it acts like its being charged and comes back on. This is normal. Switch the Juice Pack off when you want to turn the iPhone off. Next time, just switch your iPhone to Airplane Mode instead of powering it down and put it in your pocket, or out of sight.

Greenguy123

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2012
I just bought a mophie casing for my iPhone 4 and i tried it out. The next day, my phone was stuck in the casing and I couldn't get it out.
Can anyone help me?

Jabramson

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Mophie Dissatisfaction

Had an interesting situation occur today. I contacted Mophie via live chat and got a person names Chasse. I told her I was on my fourth Mophie since December (two were mine, two were my sons). All four had worked fine for a few months (2 at a time). Then each stopped taking charges. It seemed that the micro USB on the side that is used for charging had separated from the unit and would no longer charge the case. Returned them both to Best Buy where they validated this and replaced them with new one's. We used the new ones for another few months. Same thing has occurred. Just to be clear, they are only charged at night while on a bedside table. Nothing abusive and the only time they were plugged in.

While on the chat, I explained that we are now on the fourth Mophie case for our Iphone 4 & 4S. I indicated that I was real concerned that this was happening and was more concerned about what would happen after the 1 year warrantee was over. I got a response that said I had a 1 year warrantee but nothing after that. I could have just read that on the side of the box it came in. I was looking to see if they had a better idea since I would have never bought this if I knew it had a 1 year shelf life (and that would be after numerous replacements). I asked if there was anyway of getting a better answer than that. The live chat was then disconnected - on their side.

I proceeded to get into my car and go to work. On my way I called their Customer service Depatment to see if I could find someone with better answers that I got with their live chat. Guess who answers? Chasse. I tell her who I am and she takes an attitude like I'm wrong for trying to figure out what my future holds with her product. She's not interested in discussing what happens once the warrantee ends, even thought this is an apparent product defect. She also has the nerve to tell me that this is an isolated issue and that this product does not have an apparent defective construction even though I found pages of complaints from other Mophie users. Don't take my word for it, google "what issues are there with Mophie cases"?

She was totally unwilling to take any responsibly that there was a problem. If anyone is considering one of these - run! While they could really be a great product, they have yet to succeed at doing so.

For those of you that are having issues, give Chasse a call at (888) 866-7443. I'm confident she wants to do a better job for all of us and gaining a better education on her product would be helpful.

Jabramson

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Update: got a call today letting me know they are getting calls regarding this issue from all of you and appreciate the input. They are looking for as much input as they can get so keep it coming. The contact person is Chasse at (888) 866-7443.

glasskat

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
I have an iPhone 4 and am using the Mophie Juice Pack Plus.

My problem is that when I have the phone in the Mophie, get a call and try to talk on the phone, with the phone against my ear, the screen doesn't deactivate. Therefore, my cheek hits the mute button, speakerphone button, etc.

When I take the iPhone out of the case, it works just fine.

I submitted an inquiry to Mophie customer service and their response is to tell me that it must be an internal setting when my phone is charging. This doesn't happen if my phone is plugged in via a USB cable. It happens both when I am charging from Mophie and not charging from Mophie.

Any suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.