Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a lengthy article on DVCreators.net, Josh Mellicker revisits the Final Cut Pro X complaints and what Apple might have to do to address its limitations. The full article may be of interest to video editing professionals.

imovie.jpg

For the rest of us, the most interesting part of the article was a reference to how Apple's Chief Architect of Video Applications Randy Ubillos had originally created an application called "First Cut" which later evolved into iMovie '08. iMovie '08 was met with similarly mixed reactions due to the complete overhaul over iMovie 6.

Steve Jobs told the story when he originally introduced iMovie during a keynote in August 2007, but left out some details. According to Mellicker, Ubillos returned from vacation and found that Final Cut wasn't ideal for organizing raw footage. From that experience, First Cut was born which would let you import your raw footage and quickly skip through, organizing and building a rough edit. The intention originally was to then export to Final Cut Pro. At some point, Apple officially latched onto the project and turned it into the new iMovie '08.

Ubillos was the creator of the first three versions of Adobe Premiere and later developed KeyGrip which was sold to Apple and released as Final Cut Pro. Ubillos continues to be the Chief Architect of Video Applications at Apple.

With the release of Final Cut Pro X, Ubillos has been answering emails and told one of our readers "I'm extremely proud of Final Cut Pro X, it's a huge step forward in digital storytelling." He went on to suggest if the user gave it a fair shot, they may be pleasantly surprised. Ubillos also write "Final Cut Pro X 1.0 is the beginning of a road, not the end."

Article Link: iMovie '08 Was Originally Called 'First Cut', Ubillos on Final Cut Pro X

Last edited by a moderator:

fortetfn

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2006
This program has potential to be great, even though it is almost like an imovie upgrade.

gallofilm

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2011
Who do we fire?

At this point we'd need someone like Donald Trump sitting at a table and saying: "you're fired!". Who do we fire for such an epic disaster? I wouldn't exclude having to fire Steve Jobs again. After all he pushed for Imovie 08 which nobody wants.

David29

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
CA
This is the same genius that ruined iMovie.

I guess I really don't have a "learned" opinion on this. I am a high-level consumer video editor at best, Just a few family things and stuff destined for youtube.

Still, I cant help but think back to what this guy did to iMovie. He took a straightforward program that was very logical, and turned it into a toy. Now, some three versions later, iMovie is only now providing some of the control and editing features which it had YEARS AGO before this "visionary genius" changed (ruined) it.

Maybe I am missing something, and I could be totally wrong, but it seems like this guy is in the process of doing the same thing with FCP. He took something which I used to see as professional and somewhat intimidating (FCP) and dumbed it down. i can only imagine what aspects of fine level control and precision has been lost in the process.

itsokay

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2011
on the dvcreators.net piece

the author of the dvcreators.net piece should learn how to edit like a pro. the piece was more about him than on Final Cut Pro X. Sad.

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
This is the same genius that ruined iMovie.

I guess I really don't have a "learned" opinion on this. I am a high-level consumer video editor at best, Just a few family things and stuff destined for youtube.

Still, I cant help but think back to what this guy did to iMovie. He took a straightforward program that was very logical, and turned it into a toy. Now, some three versions later, iMovie is only now providing some of the control and editing features which it had YEARS AGO before this "visionary genius" changed (ruined) it.

Maybe I am missing something, and I could be totally wrong, but it seems like this guy is in the process of doing the same thing with FCP. He took something which I used to see as professional and somewhat intimidating (FCP) and dumbed it down. i can only imagine what aspects of fine level control and precision has been lost in the process.

You do know that the genius who "ruined" FCP and iMovie is also the genius who created FCP and iMovie to begin with, right?

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Okay so...

Cause:
Some guy has difficulty organizing raw shots from his home videos.

Effect:
New version of professional suite lacks proper color grading tools for (properly slated and logged) footage and, additionally, lacks support for cut lists to grade with a more capable package.

Among many other things of course.

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
Okay so...

Cause:
Some guy has difficulty organizing raw shots from his home videos.

Effect:
New version of professional suite lacks proper color grading tools for (properly slated and logged) footage, and additionally lacks support for cut lists to grade with a more capable package.

I think it's more like

Cause:
FCP7 is written in Carbon.

Effect:
If Apple is going to have to rewrite FCP, they may as well give it a fresh start.

David29

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
CA
You do know that the genius who "ruined" FCP and iMovie is also the genius who created FCP and iMovie to begin with, right?

No, I didn't. But it doesn't matter.

iMovie took a major step backwards. It took years to recover.

Frankly iPhoto is having the same problem. The last update is a joke.

Jerome Morrow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Maybe good later on, but right now it sucks.

Very smart and argument based post.

Funny thing here is that even if it had all the features possible (many features coming soon by the way) no Pro will just jump to use it anyway. What smart people do is install it on a separate computer and leran it, so that when time comes to switch it's not that hard. So that leaves just pro wannabes, trolls and just regular haters and people that have no clue that just take the "omg it has no feature x" and run with it, whining and moaning about this.

Edit:

Since i'm being down voted it looks like i'm spot on with this one. Sad people are sad.

Last edited:

itsokay

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2011
No, I didn't. But it doesn't matter.

iMovie took a major step backwards. It took years to recover.

Frankly iPhoto is having the same problem. The last update is a joke.

write your own editing app then. you seem to know more about it than the originator himself. multicam pls :)

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
I like what Ken Segall said:

Imagine if they had unveiled FCPX as the new Final Cut Express instead. Buyers of that product would have been absolutely delighted by the many leaps forward in power and simplicity, and the missing features would have been insignificant to them. A new Final Cut Express would also have given pro editors a tantalizing preview of a new FCPX to come.

Read the rest of his thoughts on this:

http://kensegall.com/blog/2011/06/final-cut-pro-x-the-natives-get-restless/

ARobinson

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Why am I not surprised. Oh crap...were in for a long ride. Sounds like jumping ship is an appropriate option for post houses hoping to upgrade to Lion. Assuming FCP7 will no longer see upgrades.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

Funny thing here is that even if it had all the features possible (many features coming soon by the way) no Pro will just jump to use it anyway. What smart people do is install it on a separate computer and leran it, so that when time comes to switch it's not that hard. So that leaves just pro wannabes, trolls and just regular haters and people that have no clue that just take the "omg it has no feature x" and run with it, whining and moaning about this.

Edit:

Since i'm being down voted it looks like i'm spot on with this one. Sad people are sad.

Perhaps you're downvoted for insulting everything that doesn't have your opinion.

grapefruitx

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
I think Apple screwed up here, I cant speak to the product but the Market positioning seems to be a mess, with Windows 7 and strong competitors to FCP they could see Editors migrating to PC based product and staying there. They should have evolved this a Mid range product for pro You tubers and home enthusiasts, and evolved a pro version when it was ready.

k2director

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2006
The real tragedy here is if Apple thinks all the anger over FCP X is just about that particular software, and not the growing fear over the last few years that pro apps and gear are a fading priority for Apple. For instance:

* It took almost 2.5 years to go from Final Cut Studio 2 to Final Cut Studio 3, and Final Cut Studio 3 was just a moderate update. Then it took almost another 2 full years to introduce Final Cut Pro X, which removed tons of features!

* Apple bought Shake, and then cancelled it. Cancelled it! Apple said there would be a next-generation app coming in Shake's place, but that never showed up.

* Apple started letting Logic atrophy.

* Apple "phoned-in" the last few Mac Pro updates, just slapping in some new Intel chips, but not adding value such as 1) more expansion slots (three slots is not a lot for a workstation), and 2) never bothering to include an eSATA port, even though tons of media professionals started using eSATA, 3) never bothering to include a USB3 port, etc. etc. Many people are wondering if the new Thunderbolt port will be Apple's excuse to give up on the Mac Pro altogether.

* Apple stopped updating its "Pro" page almost two years ago, here: http://www.apple.com/pro/

* Apple stopped attending NAB, and other standard industry events.

* Multiple rumors that Apple was trying to sell its Pro Apps division....

People have spent a lot of time and money building their businesses and careers around FCP. But since the iPhone launched, FCP and other pro apps and gear have gotten noticeably less attention.

That makes a lot of people nervous, and left to wonder what Apple's intentions are. You really can't help but wonder because Apple is so ridiculously silent about its intentions, which works fine on the consumer side but not when people are investing tens of thousands of dollars in apps and gear around Apple.

Combine that with Apple shipping a new version of Final Cut that is so radically different and so underpowered, and also discontinuing sales for FCS 3 suites and FCP Server (with no explanation about Server's demise or any intentions on bringing back multi-user functionality) and you can see how the dam finally burst in the Pro community and the angry flood waters rushed in.

Apple better start communicating better with its pro customers, and re-assuring them that it's committed to professional work in this new era of the iPhone/iPad. Otherwise, a lot of people will be heading for the doors...

Last edited:

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
Will FCP7 work on Lion? I read somewhere that the installer needs Rosetta to function.

itsokay

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2011
Why am I not surprised. Oh crap...were in for a long ride. Sounds like jumping ship is an appropriate option for post houses hoping to upgrade to Lion. Assuming FCP7 will no longer see upgrades.

they should jump ship them. that is after contemplating that jumping ship is better for business. then, hopefully when fcpx has the features they want and again upon contemplation it is better for business; then, they could return to fcpx.

its business; nothing personal. :)

ARobinson

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

The problem too is Apple pulled final cut studio. Not selling it anymore is one thing, but they also bought back stock from resellers. So its not out there for the public. Remember too, Lion ships in a couple weeks. FCPX has some significant features (we all know that), not to mention its 64bit, uses GCD, Cocoa foundation, and it really utilizes the GPU; however, its the lack of control over your media thats provides difficulty for Post Houses. But no need to go into it... My point is we either have to use FCP7 on 10.6 or transition to another NLE. Things are still really grey...but every move thus far has said they are no longer supporting FCP7 and are investing in X. I hope Apple releases a statement monday too cuz were all a bit scared.

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy

Edit:

You are definitely spot-on. Either way, there's a reason FCPX moves FCS3 into a separate folder instead of overwriting it, just like there was a reason Macs shipped with both OS 9 and OS X for a while.

People just like to complain.

ARobinson

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I think Apple screwed up here, I cant speak to the product but the Market positioning seems to be a mess, with Windows 7 and strong competitors to FCP they could see Editors migrating to PC based product and staying there. They should have evolved this a Mid range product for pro You tubers and home enthusiasts, and evolved a pro version when it was ready.

I doubt any editor would go to windows...thats absurd. Cost to much. The NLE is the problem and a simple financial fix, verses all new computers. No FCP user would go to a PC tho. :) Pretty certain of that, just invest in PP or Avid.

Jerome Morrow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Perhaps you're downvoted for insulting everything that doesn't have your opinion.

What opinion? As i said you can't say the product sucks when it's at version 1.0 and then be taken seriously. People throwing the Pro argument here a lot, but as i said no one will just jump to use it even if it has all the features in verion 1.0.

You do realize that it will have those features in a year or so?

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007

Edit:

You got a good point there. I mean we have people bashing Ubillos, the person that created the stuff that these same people are praising.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.